Smoke on start up

I have already sent some video of the blue smoke from the L/H exhaust to my dealer, they have told me just to monitor it and see how it goes! Being an Aeronautical engineer myself, I’m not totally comfortable with their response. I have asked for them to contact Bmw Motorrad to ask their opinion.
Not sure of the build date BobW, but I will investigate and revert. :)

I have already sent some video of the blue smoke from the L/H exhaust to my dealer, they have told me just to monitor it and see how it goes! Being an Aeronautical engineer myself, I’m not totally comfortable with their response. I have asked for them to contact Bmw Motorrad to ask their opinion.
Not sure of the build date BobW, but I will investigate and revert. :)
Put your VIN into here and will give you your build date and spec etc

The left cylinder will always smoke a bit on start-up if you put the bike on the side stand immediately after shut down.
Try this…..next time you shut down, slightly lean the bike right for ten seconds before parking on side stand.

Cheers for the build date link, mine was built on 20th August 2020, registered 29th March 2021. It was also procured as an ex demonstrator with 200mls on the clock ( now have 1500mls on her) I will take your info onboard R, re not leaning the bike on the side stand when I shut it down. Will keep you all updated if Bmw come back with any information.
Many thanks all for your support, very much appreciated.

I have a 2021 FE and about a week ago I met with a friend at Starbucks and we were there for about one hour. Outside temp in the lower nineties when I got on the bike and started the engine ready to take off.
The wind was blowing from behind and I noticed some serious blue smoke coming out of the left pipe. The smoke came out for a few seconds. That was the first time that it happened. I was running Shell 15W50 the dealership put in the crankcase at the 600 miles service . The bike had aprox 4,900 miles on the clock. At home I use a wheel dock 95% of the time, and once a week I may park it on the side stand. On the first start of the day I never noticed anything, no blue smoke whatsoever.
But today I went for a little ride around town, nothing special, and stayed within the speed limit the whole time. I stopped at a Starbucks again and I was there for about 30 minutes. When I started the bike up I notice that damn blue smoke from the left pipe again. A couple of days ago I did an oil change at 5,000 mileson the clock) and switched to Motul 15W50 300V 4T full synth. Used it in some other bikes and I like it a lot.
I immediately called the service department of my local BMW dealership and made sure they are aware of these problems.
I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens next.

Last edited:
FWIW I haven’t seen any blue smoke even after a 2/3 week layup and I leave mine idling on the side stand whilst I remove my helmet, ear plugs and gloves before switching off. Bike was new to me and run in with constantly changing revs, plenty of engine braking and no lugging which may or may not make a difference.

It will be interesting to see what response you get from your dealer Calboy! I cant account for the first 200miles on my bike Alex-B with mine being a ex BMW dealer bike. But from 200mls onwards I also stuck rigidly to the correct running in process like yourself.
I do feel there’s something not right, if the dealer could explain why mine smokes excessively from the L/H pot intermittently that would be a bonus to enjoying the bike a LOT more….

Just a update, BMW have now had my bike since 12th May, BMW sent the Dealer modified engine parts and instructional video on how to fit them, They were also instructed to video themselves replacing the parts.
I phoned the dealership last week for a progress update, and was told one of the parts sent was damaged so a new one has been ordered.
I have now started proceedings to reject the bike and ask for a replacement or my money back.
This can be done in the first 6 months of ownership. which would take mine to September, so thought I had better do it now because I don't know when I am going to get the bike back.

Lordlivo, this is such a shame but I totally agree with your actions. Bmw have lost the plot and in my consideration are “broken”. They should be falling over backwards to keep you happy and on the R18, it just appears to me they need a preferable rocket underneath them….we shell out top bucks for a second rate service!
My own R18’s still in the dealership waiting for spares to rectify a rear puncture and new L/H cylinder piston and rings. Guess I’m “lucky”, its only been in for over 2 weeks. Must admit I have also threatened to return the bike and take my hard earned cash elsewhere.
Keep smiling and don’t be fobbed off with the usual excuses, I also found an email to the dealer principle helps..

If there is a refund given you should get your tax money back.Never had a return that I did not get the taxes back.

It will be interesting to see what response you get from your dealer Calboy! I cant account for the first 200miles on my bike Alex-B with mine being a ex BMW dealer bike. But from 200mls onwards I also stuck rigidly to the correct running in process like yourself.
I do feel there’s something not right, if the dealer could explain why mine smokes excessively from the L/H pot intermittently that would be a bonus to enjoying the bike a LOT more….
Took the bike in for the 6k service where just a valve check/adjustment was asked from the dealership. I did the oil change and the air filter replacement myself. The valves needed adjustment so the bill was $338.00 dollars. It would have been only 225.00 if the valves were within specs.
They were aware of the smoke coming out the left pipe and were able to duplicate the problem. The newly redesigned parts, piston and rings, have been ordered and I was told it would take about a week to get them in.
I had another problem I forgot to mention and that is the final drive weeping some dark colored grease on the final drive cover. BMW suggested taking it apart and trying to find out what's causing the oil leak.
And that's where I stand as of today, July 24, 2022.
I'll keep you posted as the story unfolds.

I’ve had my concerns Re: Dealership network BMW NA for sometime. I’d recommend formal demand notices Certified Mail and cc Nationally to elevate. Research your State Consumer Protection and Fraud Statutes (Texas it’s the DTPA.) You don’t need an Atty to file with your State AG’s office. From my past experience in Banking, the Certified Mail from the State AG’s office is always opened immediately and elevated. BMW can provide a replacement bike cheaper than they can defend an AG’s office or Class
Inquiry. The issues described are moving quickly from “normal use and enjoyment” to “health and safety”
risks. By comparing notes on the same, you can Certify Class Action.

Good Luck.

I’ve had my concerns Re: Dealership network BMW NA for sometime. I’d recommend formal demand notices Certified Mail and cc Nationally to elevate. Research your State Consumer Protection and Fraud Statutes (Texas it’s the DTPA.) You don’t need an Atty to file with your State AG’s office. From my past experience in Banking, the Certified Mail from the State AG’s office is always opened immediately and elevated. BMW can provide a replacement bike cheaper than they can defend an AG’s office or Class
Inquiry. The issues described are moving quickly from “normal use and enjoyment” to “health and safety”
risks. By comparing notes on the same, you can Certify Class Action.

Good Luck.
Your concerns about BMW and Dealerships may or may not be warranted, but that is a pretty broad brush even though I know of specific incidents where either and/or more than dropped the ball. The bike is under warranty and everything I have read about various states Lemon Laws there is a provision for repairs to be made or not as the case may be prior to filing. I am Not liking the circumstances and while it is no help, almost every OEM in the past and currently have new models that end up with problems. This is the reality of anything mechanical and as emotional as it can be, I look to see if a reasonable solution is brought forth before going to War.

YRMV

Well said. Lemon Laws and Consumer Protection laws represent two different paths to resolution. If you’re reviewed those for your State you’ll find both have documentation thresholds and timeframes for the Manufacturer to respond. My views are from those of a BIG fan, current R18 owner and 13 BMW Car purchases over the years. Standards for service and results at the BMW’s Auto Dealerships are higher. Documenting your efforts and expectations in writing ccing the right people via Certified mail eliminate the local dealer as the point of failure. Anyhow, documenting your concerns is not an act of war.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Took the bike in for the 6k service where just a valve check/adjustment was asked from the dealership. I did the oil change and the air filter replacement myself. The valves needed adjustment so the bill was $338.00 dollars. It would have been only 225.00 if the valves were within specs.
They were aware of the smoke coming out the left pipe and were able to duplicate the problem. The newly redesigned parts, piston and rings, have been ordered and I was told it would take about a week to get them in.
I had another problem I forgot to mention and that is the final drive weeping some dark colored grease on the final drive cover. BMW suggested taking it apart and trying to find out what's causing the oil leak.
And that's where I stand as of today, July 24, 2022.
I'll keep you posted as the story unfolds.
I've notice the samething ... last couple rides notice lil bit of final oil drive, leak on the hub ... let me know what happened.. thank you

Attachments

• 0B1B3E56-C798-42CF-9BE0-92D5F6C84833.jpeg
    0B1B3E56-C798-42CF-9BE0-92D5F6C84833.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 18
  • B1961199-50C6-4E25-9464-BF29B29CC4EA.jpeg
    B1961199-50C6-4E25-9464-BF29B29CC4EA.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 9AEA0A0E-140A-4C8E-8A06-7C3BE06B467A.jpeg
    9AEA0A0E-140A-4C8E-8A06-7C3BE06B467A.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 19
  • 9FA02ECA-DF77-4741-9066-7E4CCCE3530B.jpeg
    9FA02ECA-DF77-4741-9066-7E4CCCE3530B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 40EBA38A-F427-4439-83EB-8040B819A2D7.jpeg
    40EBA38A-F427-4439-83EB-8040B819A2D7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
I've notice the samething ... last couple rides notice lil bit of final oil drive, leak on the hub ... let me know what happened.. thank you
A couple weeks ago I noticed a smudge around the hub indicating a smidge of seepage or something but wasn't enough to spin off onto the rim like your pictures show. i cleaned it off and has not reappeared in last 1000 miles or so.

The photos indicate a leak of final drive oil. This is NEVER normal or good. Likely just a bad seal. No big deal to repair. Warrantee will cover. Do not continue to ignore this.

I've notice the samething ... last couple rides notice lil bit of final oil drive, leak on the hub ... let me know what happened.. than

Back