So...the R18 bagger

I must get a ride on a bagger soon to see how it compares to my previous Street Glide Special. I’m predicting there may be some generous deals here in the UK on the B/TC over the winter period.
Yup. Rode one yesterday. Dealer is putting some numbers together. Only problem is the one they have with adaptive cruise (my requirement) is black with pinstripes. I have one of those. They said they could install it on any bike. We will see…

Yup. Rode one yesterday. Dealer is putting some numbers together. Only problem is the one they have with adaptive cruise (my requirement) is black with pinstripes. I have one of those. They said they could install it on any bike. We will see…
You mean install adaptive cruise on any bike?

I’d imagine the loom is already there and would be a case of swapping out the chrome part in the front fairing and a software update/ coding to tell the bike it has it fitted. You obviously enjoyed the ride to be putting numbers together? I really like the MY23 white/ grey but I’m assuming any offers here will be on MY21/22 stock.

I will say this, the fit and finish of the BMW as stock it’s far higher than any HD except maybe a CVO…but look at the cost of them!
I don’t doubt it, have previously worked for a HD dealership and owned a couple of later models. Unfortunately they don’t take too well to UK climate and even relatively new and barely used CVOs suffer from corrosion. The finish on my base R18 FE is far superior. I have sat on the bagger but it’s not the same as riding it and I’m keen to see how bad the buffeting is which was a big issue on the Street Glide even with the previous owner having fitted virtually every available accessory to eliminate it.

So it ticks the boxes and I am going to get it.

Won’t lie, I feel dumb as fuck changing bikes so soon and “wasting” money on it. I actually talked to my counsellor about this stuff lately where I feel scared about spending too much or any money for fear of it all disappearing, this goes back to when I was super poor in my early career. Fast forward and I am doing well for myself, I probably don’t “need” this bike…but I can’t describe how happy bikes make me.

This is probably a bit too much for an R18 forum, but thanks for everyone reading and support.
The formula is no different from flying / airplanes. 1) Do you like it? 2) Can you afford it.

Won’t lie, I feel dumb as fuck changing bikes so soon and “wasting” money on it. I actually talked to my counsellor about this stuff lately where I feel scared about spending too much or any money for fear of it all disappearing, this goes back to when I was super poor in my early career. Fast forward and I am doing well for myself, I probably don’t “need” this bike…but I can’t describe how happy bikes make me.

This is probably a bit too much for an R18 forum, but thanks for everyone reading and support.
I'm not a Therapist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once and to solidify my credentials I have been a motorcycle whore for almost 60 years. I worked mowing lawns, shoveled snow and delivering papers on my bicycle to save money for my first motorcycle and through my entire adult life was a workaholic often having my "day job" and 2 or 3 "side jobs" too. I often couldn't afford to pay attention, but managed to put my 3 kids through school and saved big $$$ by having a great, supportive wife that never divorced my crazy arse even after almost 45 years of marriage and many motorcycles. All this to point out, you EARNED your current financial comfort and if you are not in jeopardy of missing a mortgage payment or denying other financial obligations being satisfied why on earth would you not buy something so relatively inexpensive as the minor hit this trading will cost. I mean think of the $$$ folks spend chasing a little white ball with sticks all over golf courses and it will make this purchase appear to be a money maker!! It's all relative ;) (laid on a bit thick, but what are friends for?! go for it)......

Don't feel guilty I just bought an RT and I'm about to trade it for an R-18 after 2 months and 1000 mies I once kept a suzuki for only a few days becasue it bored me traded for a speed triple and loved it If a bike doesnt make me smile theres no value in keeping it Good Luck whatever you do

I'm not a Therapist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once and to solidify my credentials I have been a motorcycle whore for almost 60 years. I worked mowing lawns, shoveled snow and delivering papers on my bicycle to save money for my first motorcycle and through my entire adult life was a workaholic often having my "day job" and 2 or 3 "side jobs" too. I often couldn't afford to pay attention, but managed to put my 3 kids through school and saved big $$$ by having a great, supportive wife that never divorced my crazy arse even after almost 45 years of marriage and many motorcycles. All this to point out, you EARNED your current financial comfort and if you are not in jeopardy of missing a mortgage payment or denying other financial obligations being satisfied why on earth would you not buy something so relatively inexpensive as the minor hit this trading will cost. I mean think of the $$$ folks spend chasing a little white ball with sticks all over golf courses and it will make this purchase appear to be a money maker!! It's all relative ;) (laid on a bit thick, but what are friends for?! go for it)......

You're right, life is for living.

I totally agree with BobW above. I'm very fortunate at this point in my life to be able to indulge myself whenever the mood strikes me. I worked hard 55 years of my life and saved enough money so that now I can get whatever I want whenever I want. Also, I don't have to ask anyone or worry about a major financial impact...

My daughters are grown and married and successful in their lives and my grandchildren are wonderful. I will be leaving enough to pay for all my grandchildren's educations with enough to make life easier for both my daughters so I don't feel bad in the least for my very profligate ways... Like many of you, my life has been a long ride with its frequent ups and downs but now I'm going to fully enjoy it as long as I can hold a bike up and ride... (y)

Last edited:
Don't feel guilty I just bought an RT and I'm about to trade it for an R-18 after 2 months and 1000 mies I once kept a suzuki for only a few days becasue it bored me traded for a speed triple and loved it If a bike doesnt make me smile theres no value in keeping it Good Luck whatever you do
I did the same...2021 R1250RT traded for a 2022 R18TC. No regrets! The RT was a great bike, but boring for me. My only wish, was that the R18 had 50 more hp and lb ft, of torque available.

I did the same...2021 R1250RT traded for a 2022 R18TC. No regrets! The RT was a great bike, but boring for me. My only wish, was that the R18 had 50 more hp and lb ft, of torque available.
I traded in an S1000r. Fwiw I freed up the intake and the exhaust path and added a Brentune. It is now far more engaging.

Back