Solution to the GS-911 Dilemma

Gaylord Poe

Premium Member
I found a solution the the GS-911 dilemma: Just walk away from it and find another way. For just a little more than what a dealer charges for an hour's labor PLUS with the added benefit of not having to go through the hassle of visiting the service department to have your service light reset here's all you have to do:

Buy the "OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows" (from Amazon for $99.95) and download the MOTOSCAN app (free) from Google play. There's an in-app purchase to upgrade to the "Pro" version that costs a little less than thirty bucks (you need the "Pro" version to reset your service light - found in the dashboard menu). The only downside is the app is Android only. I have a Samsung tablet that has no data connectivity but connects to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so I used the Wi-Fi to load the apps and the Bluetooth to reset my service light. Was easy to use, worked like a champ, and when I use it again next service it will have more than paid for itself. What aggravated me with the GS-911 crew was after talking with them and getting NO INDICATION of when they would support the R18 I found that Motoscan had updated their app to include the R18 in January of 2021. So now I have both units!!! We can talk about which one is better (perhaps like an electronic "oil thread") but the bottom line to me when I'm tasked with something is to "get 'er done" and it's done!! THANK YOU MOTOSCAN

I found a solution the the GS-911 dilemma: Just walk away from it and find another way. For just a little more than what a dealer charges for an hour's labor PLUS with the added benefit of not having to go through the hassle of visiting the service department to have your service light reset here's all you have to do:

Buy the "OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows" (from Amazon for $99.95) and download the MOTOSCAN app (free) from Google play. There's an in-app purchase to upgrade to the "Pro" version that costs a little less than thirty bucks (you need the "Pro" version to reset your service light - found in the dashboard menu). The only downside is the app is Android only. I have a Samsung tablet that has no data connectivity but connects to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so I used the Wi-Fi to load the apps and the Bluetooth to reset my service light. Was easy to use, worked like a champ, and when I use it again next service it will have more than paid for itself. What aggravated me with the GS-911 crew was after talking with them and getting NO INDICATION of when they would support the R18 I found that Motoscan had updated their app to include the R18 in January of 2021. So now I have both units!!! We can talk about which one is better (perhaps like an electronic "oil thread") but the bottom line to me when I'm tasked with something is to "get 'er done" and it's done!! THANK YOU MOTOSCAN
You are resourceful GP. But, like Black Dog, I have to ask... what's the problem with the GS-911? Mine also doesn't "see" the R18 as an R18, but it works fine anyway.

You are resourceful GP. But, like Black Dog, I have to ask... what's the problem with the GS-911? Mine also doesn't "see" the R18 as an R18, but it works fine anyway.
My GS-911 "works fine" too EXCEPT for resetting the service light! It'll read and clear fault codes and do an auto scan but no reset of the service light.

Strong work, GP. Thanks.

My GS-911 "works fine" too EXCEPT for resetting the service light! It'll read and clear fault codes and do an auto scan but no reset of the service light.
AH-HA! I must admit that I have not yet needed to reset the service interval, so I haven't tried that function yet. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm gonna look into this.

Just want to thank you for posting this. Per this post last week I ordered the obdlinkmx2 from Amazon for $100 and installed the motoscan app onto my Samsung phone and paid the $30 upgrade for the "pro" version and was able to hook up via Bluetooth and reset the service light and clear fault codes. Worked perfectly!
Whats especially nice is I can just throw the small mx2 link interface in my saddle bag and be able to read/reset codes and faults on the go anywhere if needed.
Couple things to add for future reference....
When upgrading to the "pro" version of motoscan, give the app anywhere from 30min to 12 hours to update from the "basic" version.
Another thing I found out (in my case anyway), after connecting via bluetooth...if you disconnect for any reason, close the app completely in your phone before hooking it up again, or it won't connect back up. That may or may not be the case for somebody else though.
Thanks again!

Just want to thank you for posting this. Per this post last week I ordered the obdlinkmx2 from Amazon for $100 and installed the motoscan app onto my Samsung phone and paid the $30 upgrade for the "pro" version and was able to hook up via Bluetooth and reset the service light and clear fault codes. Worked perfectly!
Whats especially nice is I can just throw the small mx2 link interface in my saddle bag and be able to read/reset codes and faults on the go anywhere if needed.
Couple things to add for future reference....
When upgrading to the "pro" version of motoscan, give the app anywhere from 30min to 12 hours to update from the "basic" version.
Another thing I found out (in my case anyway), after connecting via bluetooth...if you disconnect for any reason, close the app completely in your phone before hooking it up again, or it won't connect back up. That may or may not be the case for somebody else though.
Thanks again!
Thank you!

You can reset the sevice warning with the gs911 if you use the R1250GS for it
Didn’t work for me that way. But it’s worth a shot if you already own a GS911. I wouldn’t advise someone to buy one and start there hoping for the best when there is a known work around with Motoscan. I tried everything I could think of with my GS911 including some back and forth with their techs and no luck.

Last edited:
You can reset the service warning with the gs911 if you use the R1250GS for it
Do you mean that we would select the bike as a R1250GS in the GS911 and then it works with full functionality on the R18?
The GS911 doesn't even show the R18 in the list of models and I've downloaded the latest firmware. I expect that Hexcode will eventually come up with a new firmware that serves the R18, but if calling the bike a R1250 GS works in the meantime, that's OK with me.

This is great, my R1200R had the Service light on since 6,000 miles. It now has 74,000 light still on.......

Motoscan works great for me. I am a mechanic and it gives information like my $4,000 Snap on Scanner.

That is great news!! But I think the credit should go to the forum members who figured it out, not HEX, because HEX GS911 was of NO HELP to the first few of us who contacted them directly to ask for help and/or a work around. That’s why we went alternate routes. I will use my GS911 in the future (along with MOTOSCAN) because I owned it prior to my R18 but I will never give them another dollar. They could’ve figured this out before any of us could and they DIDN’T! No thanks HEX GS911. And THANKS R18 Forum members!

Back