Spare plastic key

Gilles

Premium Member
I wanted to try to start the R18 using the spare plastic key ...

The manual says to place it in the key antenna (2) located under the seat

Capture d’écran (34).png

But I could not find any hole in the antenna to do it

IMG_20201217_152741 (2).jpg

Does anybody know how to use this plastic key ?

(Same procedure when the key battery is dead)

With the stock seat, the bike should start without taking the seat off. It may require pressing the the key on the seat above the antenna.. Works fine with the stock seat on mine. Aftermarket seas, not so much.

Tried it now and it works too.
But I ordered another electronic key anyway.
Not sure it will work with the thick Corbin seat.
200 € ! Holly cow ! :oops:
Supposed to be factory pre-programmed to work on my bike.

Tried it now and it works too.
But I ordered another electronic key anyway.
Not sure it will work with the thick Corbin seat.
200 € ! Holly cow ! :oops:
Supposed to be factory pre-programmed to work on my bike.
I just tried using the plastic valet key with my Corbin seat installed. You have to place the key in a very small sweet spot on the top of the seat, but it does work.

I've seen on the vidéo that you added a lower support to your windshield too.
How is the comfort of the Corbin seat ?

I've seen on the vidéo that you added a lower support to your windshield too.
How is the comfort of the Corbin seat ?
Yes, good eye. I had to add a length of 1/8" vinyl coated stainless steel cable, which I soldered some flat eye connectors too, to keep the windscreen from folding back at speed. You just can't get the plastic supports tight enough to prevent the windscreen form getting pushed back from the wind blast.

The Corbin seat is still in break in mode. I've had a few of them on other motorcycles. They are pretty stiff when new, but after 30 to 40 hours in the saddle, the seat molds to your specific butt bones and it's very supportive and comfortable.

Last edited:
I just tried using the plastic valet key with my Corbin seat installed. You have to place the key in a very small sweet spot on the top of the seat, but it does work.

Thank you just picked up my R18 , handbook states use the main key on sensor under seat? , could have been in stranded
thanks again.....Eddie

Back