Speaking about fuel.....

DG6n26

Site Supporter
Most gas pumps use a single hose for all the different grades of gas. My research says the first 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of gas is the grade bought by the previous customer at that pump. My fill ups usually takes just over 3 gallons so my premium fuel is diluted with regular by about 15%. Should we be using an octane booster?

Most gas pumps use a single hose for all the different grades of gas. My research says the first 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of gas is the grade bought by the previous customer at that pump. My fill ups usually takes just over 3 gallons so my premium fuel is diluted with regular by about 15%. Should we be using an octane booster?
Your bike doesn't really require premium fuel. Lower compression engines only require 87-89 octane. Premium fuel is a waste of money, unless you're buying because it's ethanol free.

So what’s the reason BMW recommends premium?
BMW says 90 AKI--anti knock index. But that might refer to the Euro index.
Euro premium is 90-91
US mid-grade is 89-90
US premium is 92-93
I'll stick with US premium and with the dillution from the regular left in the hose it will still be at least 90 AKI.

BMW says 90 AKI--anti knock index. But that might refer to the Euro index.
Euro premium is 90-91
US mid-grade is 89-90
US premium is 92-93
I'll stick with US premium and with the dillution from the regular left in the hose it will still be at least 90 AKI.
US premium here in California is 91 octane.
And I like to stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

Premium in my area is typically 93 octane and "real" gasoline is 90 octane. I can run "real" gas a majority of the time as we have numerous stations offering it due to sufficient demand by our area's boat owners and a surprising amount of older gas powered farm trucks and machinery (although I'm sure that percentage drops steadily).

Motorcycle and car both run the same on either and over many miles I'm pretty sure (scientific term), I get a bit more mileage using the real gas.To be fair, I have also run regular and mid-grade when no Premium was available and never had any problems, but I also wasn't operating under any heavy load conditions.

Best situation was some 94 octane "real" gas in Canada, I have no proof to offer, but I swear my GSA was smiling while singing the happy engine song on every drop of that I could find.

Worst situation was on a trip out west when I had to get gas in my Stelvio or walk. I had to run some of that corn blended crap and she was immediately pinging just riding out of the parking lot thus confirming beyond doubt that corn is best enjoyed on the cob or most certainly in a mason jar rather a gas tank.....

Just never try to wean them.............

So the weather FINALLY once again, warmed enough to take a nice long 300mi ride. I mainly ride in Wi because of it's rural roads and beautiful scenery. I can also get premium fuel, ethanol free. I need to break in the bike, and I also wanted to see if this bike behaved like my 1800 Valkyrie with respect to fuel.

I left Illinois with a full tank of regular 87-89 octane, 10% ethanol added fuel. Like always, I treated the gas in my tank with one ounce of an additive used to treat ethanol gas. The bike was running REALLY well....idled perfectly, nice smooth run with plenty of power (and the sound is awesome).. After burning up that tank I began adding higher octane, premium gas without ethanol. The bike still ran good, but after a spell I noticed not quite as good. It seemed to idle rougher and the throttle response lagged some... It just wasn't quite as snappy and as quick as before.

This is precisely what I was expecting it to do.

My Valkyrie engine sports the same compression ratio...and as such, behaves in the same manner.

End result: The bike in it's stock form imo, based on my experience, using premium and regular gas is the same. Both bikes prefer the lower octane fuel.

Sounds like the additive is doing its job.I am not opposed to using a additive every so often to help clean the injectors.

But,I just refuse to carry a chemical around with my bike getting 30mpg (25-35).I need stop every 90-100 miles to fill.It would be ridiculous traveling as I do 500mile plus days.Sorry and not to be argumentativeI but carrying something that could explode isn't for me.Funny story here.Years ago,I stopped to get gas on a trip and decided to get a drink.The station had monster 2-$3.50.I drank one and put the other one in the saddlebag.Gently wrapped and the damn thing still exploded.Had this sticky green liquid all over my right muffler.Thankfully it was not flammable.
That being said.I have ran 87,89,91,93(before the Bren Tune) depending on what state I'm in,some without ethanol some with.Thankfully the bike will tune to the fuel being used, glad the R18 isn't picky.
Reality check Question here:
If gas goes to $10 a gallon and 15% ethanol will you still ride?
The world is changing folks.Accept it or fight it.I wish I had a say in what they are serving us.I don't.
Now,taking the lemon and making lemonade.
If I live long enough,I may look into one of these.

Back