Switching from a Gs

Hello all, I have a 2018 r1200gs which I really enjoy riding, but I can’t stop thinking about the r18. Anyone gone from or has both and would like to share yours thoughts.

Not quite the same but hope this helps. I've had an 1150 GS for years and still love it, however my wife is no longer comfortable on the pillion. Bought a '22 R18 TC, love it & so does my wife. They are VERY different rides, both VERY enjoyable.

One thing I would caution on is to really be sure your comfortable with the ergonomics AND the idiosyncracies before committing.

I think the GS is a very forgiving bike, the R18 perhaps a bit less so, perhaps because of it's designed purpose, it's greater weight, and different handling. I've said here before that I would never consider the GS's handling as 'flickable', but compared to the R18 TC it certainly feels that way!

Last edited:
I jumped from a 2008 GS Adventure with 96,688 trouble-free miles on her, and onto a 2022 R18 B with zero regrets...

I have added the following Transcontinental (TC) parts or attributes that I really liked onto my Model B:

BMW Engine Protection Bar
TC fairing mounted Winglets
TC Lower Leg Wind Protection
TC Auxiliary Lights, Bracket & Directionals
TC Passenger Floorboards

See pictures - it's hard to see the Lower Leg Wind Protection though:

Screenshot_20231101-111402.pngScreenshot_20231101-111032.png

Not quite the same but hope this helps. I've had an 1150 GS for years and still love it, however my wife is no longer comfortable on the pillion. Bought a '22 R18 TC, love it & so does my wife. They are VERY different rides, both VERY enjoyable.

One thing I would caution on is to really be sure your comfortable with the ergonomics AND the idiosyncracies before committing.

I think the GS is a very forgiving bike, the R18 perhaps a bit less so, perhaps because of it's designed purpose, it's greater weight, and different handling. I've said here before that I would never consider the GS's handling as 'flickable', but compared to the R18 TC it certainly feels that way!
Handling is something I have to think about. I live in northwest N.C. And the switchbacks here not only can see your taillight but they may turn and rise 15 degrees or so. Have you encountered roads like that

I jumped from a 2008 GS Adventure with 96,688 trouble-free miles on her, and onto a 2022 R18 B with zero regrets...

I have added the following Transcontinental (TC) parts or attributes that I really liked onto my Model B:

TC Passenger Floorboards

View attachment 12120

TC Passenger Floorboards

View attachment 12120View attachment 12121
Beautiful bike! The b model is my favorite. Is that leg protection oem, or aftermarket?

Lower Leg Wind Protection is an OEM BMW part for the Transcontinental R18 model; search Lower Leg Wind Protection and you should find the parts required to perform the modification on an R18 B.

If purchasing a R18 B; I'd order it with the TFT screen protector and the Engine Protection Bar.

Hello all, I have a 2018 r1200gs which I really enjoy riding, but I can’t stop thinking about the r18. Anyone gone from or has both and would like to share yours thoughts.
Completely different bikes, the vibe, the look, the use, etc. I have both and I ride my GSA about three times as much as my R18ruth_&_greta.jpg

I've got a 2013 GSA and a 2021 R18. They couldn't be more different. The GS is faster, handles better and takes bumps and potholes way, way better. On my commute there is a spot on the highway that launches me out of my seat on the R18 if I don't stand up ahead of time, my GS barely notices it. For my purposes the GS is the better choice by far for commuting, mostly because of how crappy the roads in my area are.

If I want to go slow and look good or carry a passenger the R18 wins. For just about any other purpose, my GS is my choice.

I've got a 2013 GSA and a 2021 R18. They couldn't be more different. The GS is faster, handles better and takes bumps and potholes way, way better. On my commute there is a spot on the highway that launches me out of my seat on the R18 if I don't stand up ahead of time, my GS barely notices it. For my purposes the GS is the better choice by far for commuting, mostly because of how crappy the roads in my area are.

If I want to go slow and look good or carry a passenger the R18 wins. For just about any other purpose, my GS is my choice.
Is yours a classic? Or a different model

Handling is something I have to think about. I live in northwest N.C. And the switchbacks here not only can see your taillight but they may turn and rise 15 degrees or so. Have you encountered roads like that
Yes, have definitely encountered these types of roads. On a 4k trip on the TC to New England this summer, I rode all types of maintained and under-construction roads (emphasis intentional); no trails, single-track, deep sand, etc. The TC handled them exceptionally well. It's a matter of managing the inertia of the bike, which is amazingly easy to do with that low C.O.G.
I actually had more problems on steep switchbacks with the GS initially, especially 2-up. I put in a lower-geared FD and those low-speed, off-camber, sharp transitions were no longer a problem.

TC Passenger Floorboards

View attachment 12120View attachment 12121
Beautiful!

Last edited:
Yes and within obvious platform limitations the R18 platform is a better "Roadster/Standard" than many appreciate. While long, heavy and having less cornering clearance (see "obvious limitations"), the chassis is very good, you'll need to incorporate more rear brake in conjunction with the front for aggressive riding and the suspension does a better job than I thought it would even being relatively limited in travel and fairly soft (I've hit several bad/hard bumps in aggressive cornering and she didn't give it a thought). The transmission is a gem especially for a BMW and the torque allows a variety of gears to be used for any situation. I run mine in Rock all the time and found there are several sweet RPM ranges across the spectrum and after a few thousand miles it just gets better and better in both MPG as well as very few remaining rough/annoying vibey RPM points, etc. It took a few hundred miles to really adjust and recalibrate my reflexes to her, but coming off multiple pre and LC RTs and GS/A s that I have toured most of the lower 48, AK and a good bit of Canada on, my Classic has allowed me to enjoy all the "favorites" roads in the Appalachians and she also worked flawlessly for cross country touring duties. I've been riding close to 60 years on all kinds and Brands of motorcycles to include many BMWs and the R18 is very unique with a few quirks, but is a great motorcycle not only to look at, but to ride like a BMW should be. Good luck!

Yes and within obvious platform limitations the R18 platform is a better "Roadster/Standard" than many appreciate. While long, heavy and having less cornering clearance (see "obvious limitations"), the chassis is very good, you'll need to incorporate more rear brake in conjunction with the front for aggressive riding and the suspension does a better job than I thought it would even being relatively limited in travel and fairly soft (I've hit several bad/hard bumps in aggressive cornering and she didn't give it a thought). The transmission is a gem especially for a BMW and the torque allows a variety of gears to be used for any situation. I run mine in Rock all the time and found there are several sweet RPM ranges across the spectrum and after a few thousand miles it just gets better and better in both MPG as well as very few remaining rough/annoying vibey RPM points, etc. It took a few hundred miles to really adjust and recalibrate my reflexes to her, but coming off multiple pre and LC RTs and GS/A s that I have toured most of the lower 48, AK and a good bit of Canada on, my Classic has allowed me to enjoy all the "favorites" roads in the Appalachians and she also worked flawlessly for cross country touring duties. I've been riding close to 60 years on all kinds and Brands of motorcycles to include many BMWs and the R18 is very unique with a few quirks, but is a great motorcycle not only to look at, but to ride like a BMW should be. Good luck!
I‘m in agreement with your comments.

You may want to read my intro here.
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/hello-from-parkland-fl.2264/

I just came back from my ride to BMW Motorrad Days - Parkland, FL to Birmingham, AL and back. We basically rode over 350 miles everyday, four days in a row. No issues whatsoever and comfortable for those 350 miles rides too.

I‘m in agreement with your comments.

I just came back from my ride to BMW Motorrad Days - Parkland, FL to Birmingham, AL and back. We basically rode over 350 miles everyday, four days in a row. No issues whatsoever and comfortable for those 350 miles rides too.

its funny that, I have the same 2018 r1200 rallye. Of course when I bought it, I didn’t research to know it’s taller than a regular Gs, so I’m considering lowering it, which is expensive. I’m 5’8” and I ride in the lowest seat and suspension settings. but before I do all of that, I’m definitely going to test one out after watching you enjoying yours.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob I think I will as well. It’s one of those bikes you either love it, or not. did you consider the bagger model?

Back