TC / Bagger phone plug?

moleculo

These models have a phone compartment with a holder and charger. Unfortunately, the geniuses at BMW made the compartment too small for any modern phone, so I pulled out the tray and use it for wallet storage. But there's still a 12v line run there that could be useful for something. Does anyone know what type of connector that is? I don't want to cut off the stock one, but would rather wire up a harness for it.

My iPhone 11 Pro Max fits fine in the compartment without a case on it.

The connector is USB-C.
I'm talking about the connector that the phone charger unit is plugged into. Pull the phone tray out and you'll see what I'm talking about...not the USB C. The Samsung Galaxy S22 doesn't come close to fitting, BTW.

I know this is an old thread, but I will revive it with some new info.

Of course, like most large phones owners - mine will not fit in the compartment. But the charger thing does come out super easy, just a tug is all it takes to pop it right out.

First, the charger thingy in there is: "STORAGE COMPARTMENT WITH CHARGING PORT", part # 46639830137 . It looks like it's about $500 ballpark - if a place is able to get it that is. A lot of listings say it is unavailable, and some others are vague.

I want to keep the stock one stock, so I can put it back when the time comes I want to sell the bike. So I was thinking of finding a spare to slice up - removing all the holder bits - so that my phone would fit.
However - $500 is a lot of money for me to just buy one to cut up.

So I will likely just work out a nice way to keep my phone in the larger hole left in its place. Maybe cut a thick piece of plastic to match the shape and tabs of the charger module, or maybe just a cheap magnetic tank bag phone holder. Probably something like this Magnetic Smartphone Holder for Motorcycle Touring just to keep the phone from rattling around in the cavity too much.

Now I started looking for the connectors. If I can source real connectors, I don't need to cut any wires and things will just be pluggable.

Turns out the connector there is an actual BMW specific connector, not just one they buy from a generic supplier. But it is used in all kinds of BMW products, so you can find it in a variety of ways. The bike side connector is BMW 7543312-02 , and it's easily available. However that doesn't help me wire up a new charger: I need the charger side connector, and it is not well marked, nor is it easy to find similar parts. So I have been searching for the BMW 7543312-02 and looking to see if anything comes up that has both sides of the connector. There are a few things but none look exactly the same - however I imagine they all work since they connect to the same 7543312-02 . Looks like the most common is the "BMW X1 F48 FRONT FOG LIGHT ADAPTER CABLE" - so my plan is to pick one of those up and experiment.

If they work, then using the actual BMW connectors wire in something like this DC 24V/12V to 5V USB Type-C Right Angle Step Down Converter Output 3A 15W Buck Module Power Adapter.

That way it can just be unplugged and the factory module put right back in!

IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4096.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

The plug shown in the pic connects to the cradle which houses the USB-C connector to connect to your phone and also has a fan to keep your phone from overheating when you are using the maps app. Your phone stays open during that time maps are displayed on the TFT screen. I have a iPhone 12 and have to remove my Otter case when plugging it in to the cradle, so yes I wish it was larger.

Yep. I am holding that cradle in my hand in the pic, it took a good bit of sleuthing to find what part number that cradle actually is - which I mentioned previously. It is the "STORAGE COMPARTMENT WITH CHARGING PORT", part # 46639830137 It was not obvious to find because in the microfiche it is in the "General Electrical System - Cigarette Lighter Power Sockets" section.

My comments are about not using that cradle.

As it currently stands, I just plug in the phone in the topcase. I would like to be able to utilize the more convenient space there on top of the trunk.

But I also don't want to make any hard core permanent mods that can't easily be rolled back.

With regard to overheating - normal problems that you have with any Nav use on any phone. It can be managed in a variety of ways.

If I can't figure out the plug situation I will just use the pocket as a stash spot. It is useless with the cradle in there - so having it out is at least a good cubby pocket for the tank area.

I think a mesh pouch held against the tank with some magnets will work to at least keep whatever I put in there from tumbling around too much (and possibly dropping something small down the gaps in the bottom).

Well if you are going that route, I guess you can just disassemble the cradle since it has the power connection and USB-C on it and use what you need from it and set the rest to the side. Then possibly make a removable fiberglass tub to line the bottom of the cubby to hold your phone and other small items??

Attachments

• IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
I don't think you read my post.

I want to keep the stock one stock, so I can put it back when the time comes I want to sell the bike. So I was thinking of finding a spare to slice up - removing all the holder bits - so that my phone would fit.

So I will likely just work out a nice way to keep my phone in the larger hole left in its place.

So disassembling the stock cradle is not on my list of options. Unless I could find one somewhere for super cheap. But if I did, I wouldn't even take it apart. I would just cut off the bottom corner holder tab thingies, and remove the gate/flap holder thingy from the top. Then my phone fits fine, and I could use the USB-C hard-wire since it likely would not line up right for the wireless charging...

BUT:

Buying a couple connectors and a voltage step-down to USB-C is like $50 all in - which is way better than the $500 for a sacrificial charging cradle.

Anyway - I was just sharing info with part numbers and stuff that I had found, in case anyone else could maybe derive value from it someday.

Wow, guess I did skim right over those sentences... :D Understandable. Keep an eye out on eBay, I got an extra one a while back because I was looking for the whole console on the gas tank to powder coat the panels instead of messing with my original ones. Ended up selling the cradle to another member on this site for a lot less than $500 so he could use it to setup wireless charging project.

I know this is an old thread, but I will revive it with some new info.

Of course, like most large phones owners - mine will not fit in the compartment. But the charger thing does come out super easy, just a tug is all it takes to pop it right out.

First, the charger thingy in there is: "STORAGE COMPARTMENT WITH CHARGING PORT", part # 46639830137 . It looks like it's about $500 ballpark - if a place is able to get it that is. A lot of listings say it is unavailable, and some others are vague.

So I will likely just work out a nice way to keep my phone in the larger hole left in its place. Maybe cut a thick piece of plastic to match the shape and tabs of the charger module, or maybe just a cheap magnetic tank bag phone holder. Probably something like this Magnetic Smartphone Holder for Motorcycle Touring just to keep the phone from rattling around in the cavity too much.

Now I started looking for the connectors. If I can source real connectors, I don't need to cut any wires and things will just be pluggable.

Turns out the connector there is an actual BMW specific connector, not just one they buy from a generic supplier. But it is used in all kinds of BMW products, so you can find it in a variety of ways. The bike side connector is BMW 7543312-02 , and it's easily available. However that doesn't help me wire up a new charger: I need the charger side connector, and it is not well marked, nor is it easy to find similar parts. So I have been searching for the BMW 7543312-02 and looking to see if anything comes up that has both sides of the connector. There are a few things but none look exactly the same - however I imagine they all work since they connect to the same 7543312-02 . Looks like the most common is the "BMW X1 F48 FRONT FOG LIGHT ADAPTER CABLE" - so my plan is to pick one of those up and experiment.

If they work, then using the actual BMW connectors wire in something like this DC 24V/12V to 5V USB Type-C Right Angle Step Down Converter Output 3A 15W Buck Module Power Adapter.

That way it can just be unplugged and the factory module put right back in!

View attachment 13853

View attachment 13854

View attachment 13855
Just a thought, but how about having someone (or yourself) design and 3d print something for you to fit in that spot?

Just a thought, but how about having someone (or yourself) design and 3d print something for you to fit in that spot?
There's an entire thread on this subject, where a forum member started to prototype a 3D printer cradle that would make better use of that space; I'm not sure where he left off with that project.

Yeah, I have a 3D printer but I am not experienced with design, so I would need a design from someone else. And I assume it would need to be ABS for heat resistance. I will look and see if I can find something.

Also, I just bought a used BMW X1 F48 FRONT FOG LIGHT ADAPTER CABLE which looks like it has the same connectors on it, so when it arrives I will let folks know if it works. :)

Wow, guess I did skim right over those sentences... :D Understandable. Keep an eye out on eBay, I got an extra one a while back because I was looking for the whole console on the gas tank to powder coat the panels instead of messing with my original ones. Ended up selling the cradle to another member on this site for a lot less than $500 so he could use it to setup wireless charging project.

Yeah, if the adapter harness thing doesn't work out, that may be an option. Currently best price I have found is about $300.

Suppose it would take quite a bit of fiddling around in 3D modeling software to get it right. An alternative might be to get the original 3D scanned and modify the STEP file. There are plenty of scanning services around. Would be great if someone else has already done it though. ;-)
Personally, I plan to buy a, smaller second phone to use on my TC, after I get it on the 17th.

I feel like this is kind of like the old joke about how the US NASA spent millions of dollars to invent a pen that would write in space, the soviets just used pencils.

BMW over-engineered this wonky thing, and literally made it worse for nearly everyone. They could have just used a nice molded plastic cubby there with a simple USBC plug.

If they really wanted to advertise its cooling ability, just make the cubby vented on the front and use their small fan there to run whenever there is something plugged into the USBC and pull air through the cubby.

No need to have the fancy and oddly specific wireless charging holder thingy-ma-bob.

They did the same thing with the overly complex dynamic headlight. They made the darn things with fancy floating mirrors and gimbals or whatever - needlessly over engineered. My Triumph had the same effective capability with no moving parts, just as your lean angle increases they turn on more LEDs pointing into the turn (My Goldwing had the same type of system).

Silly Germans.

All this fuss just so we can have a simple cubby with a charger. :)

These models have a phone compartment with a holder and charger. Unfortunately, the geniuses at BMW made the compartment too small for any modern phone, so I pulled out the tray and use it for wallet storage. But there's still a 12v line run there that could be useful for something. Does anyone know what type of connector that is? I don't want to cut off the stock one, but would rather wire up a harness for it.
I have the Samsung s22+ and it fits fine. So your statement isn't totally true.

Back