TC Passenger Floorboards

Has anyone else had an issue with their TC passenger floorboards C clips coming off? I rode to work a few weeks ago and a coworker let me know that my right floorboard was about to come off. The pin had slid out a bit and the floorboard was at an angle. Replaced clip with one from my jobs maintenance shop but the ball bearing that keeps the floorboard up is missing. Now it's Memorial Day weekend and the left sides passenger floorboard was hanging on for dear life after a ride. On the left side I lost the clip and the pin but some how still have the tiny spring and ball bearing. My best guess is the BMW c-clip just isn't up to the task. On Memorial Day I replaced both pins with stainless steel bolts and lock nuts. Warranty claim is in for right side already.

Ordered parts at dealer in October 2021 that have yet to come in and now parts that came on the bike are trying their best to fall off. BTW I'm the second TC owner that has had this issue that my dealer is aware of.

Replacing with a better c clip may be the way to go. But a bolt with blue loctite and a lock nut just made me feel better. NOTE: I have the BugBike cat delete headers and Freedom Performance exhaust installed. I may be riding at higher RPM's to enjoy the sound my TC now has. This may have accelerated the passenger floor board issue. Be safe!

This has crossed my mind a few times, and my thoughts are that due to the level positioning of the pin, replacement with a suitably designed bolt and locknut is a possible solution, maintaining requisite movement while also reducing risk of failure or spontaneous disassembly. I have been watching my footpeg pivot pin clips since i found a broken one on the garage floor a few weeks back. That one turned out to be from my GS rear pegs, but on the GS the pins are angled down in back, and the pins go in from the front so they would virtually never jiggle out even after the clip pops.

The right R18 rider Floorboard and the right R18B rider footpeg have a pin that inserts from the back, so the clip is on the front, making the pin more likely to jiggle out if the clip pops. The pin on the left rider peg/floorboard goes in from the front, as do both of the passenger pegs.

From my observations, BMW chose to use the same springs R + L on the rider pegs/floorboards, and to meet that design criteria put the RH Pin in from the back. I'd feel more secure with a nut and bolt in the Rider Floorboard/Pegs for sure, and the mod to the passenger accommodations would be sensible too IMHO.

I've not sourced a suitable replacement solution yet, perhaps a machine shop could make up a nice replacement pivot bolt with correct slide fit raised shank, maybe a collar washer to fit into the plastic spring holder, and a nice shoulder to tighten a nut up to.. or just a superior fastener than works in a clip groove.

Note the pivot pins on the round footpegs for the R18FE are angled down in back (like the GS) , seems they would be unlikely to jiggle out if the clip popped.

Last edited:
I replaced the 8mm bolt with a 5/16 hex head bolt from Ace Hardware then used a lock washer. The c-clip did not fall off but the bolt-nut seemed more secure.

Cleaning my TC yesterday I noticed the pin on the passenger peg was half out and missing the C clip. I removed both pins and drilled a hole through the pins and inserted a cotter pin.

In the past few months, I've added a step to my checkouts, specifically to verify all foot peg clips are present and secure. @brcolbourne Cotter pin fix is excellent.

I use a 5/16 bolt from ACE Hardware with a locknut. Those locknuts won’t come off.

OK, I am resurrecting an old thread - but mainly because the topic "TC Passenger Floorboards" is also what I think I need for my thread. But they are related.

Aside from making sure the c clamps don't fail and they don't fall off...

Anyone have any options or ideas for the fact that when the passenger floorboards are folded up they cover up the R18 badging? I don't like leaving them down all the time when I am not carrying anyone pillion ... But I don't want to lose that badging. Maybe I can relocate the badging up a few inches so it's not hidden. Badges are easy to remove but the I would need new adhesive to re-apply them...

IMG_3524.jpeg

Back