Temp Display missing?

Bwana

OK this may be a stupid newbie question but I can’t seem to find the temperature display on the bike. I went ahead and reset the display to see if it was hidden and it wasn’t. I then went into “units” where you’re supposed to be able to set Celsius or Fahrenheit and there is no entry for it. According to the online manual and the written manual that came with the bike it’s supposed to have a temperature display function. Anyone else noticed this on their first edition base model R18?!

EDIT: called the dealer just to check and he said the base models they have on site also do not show temp. What the heck.

Last edited:
OK this may be a stupid newbie question but I can’t seem to find the temperature display on the bike. I went ahead and reset the display to see if it was hidden and it wasn’t. I then went into “units” where you’re supposed to be able to set Celsius or Fahrenheit and there is no entry for it. According to the online manual and the written manual that came with the bike it’s supposed to have a temperature display function. Anyone else noticed this on their first edition base model R18?!

EDIT: called the dealer just to check and he said the base models they have on site also do not show temp. What the heck.
Yes, I was disappointed that it didn't have an engine temp gauge / display.
Partially why I started that "Air cooled engine worries." thread.

It's no big deal most of the time, but sometimes I wish I had it. That being said, I found that the clutch engagement point starts to change when the engine starts to get very hot. It serves as an early warning sign for me.

So it sounds like something they either didn’t implement OR took out of future builds. My bike is a Dec 20 production bike.

Just curious, does anyone on here have a really early bike that implemented the temp function?

No temp display. I had read the same reference, but things obviously changed somewhere along the way. Being a dry clutch I have no idea why hotter engine temps would impact engagement, but if it can be felt to be different that is something I will look for.

All anecdotal and I've never had any temp related damage or broken down as these engines are very stout and shed heat well as benefit of design. I've ridden thousands of miles in 110++ temps to include endless stop and go and only once had a real temp concern on my many BMW various gen boxers and that was on my 2016 r1200rs l/c. It was warm and I was returning from watching a total solar eclipse on the Cherohala Skyway near the NC-TN line. I should have camped as my return trip looked like the exodus of people and vehicles in the End of the World movies and it was almost more impressive than the eclipse itself (11 hours+ for a normal 4 hour ride). Anyway, I try to keep rolling even just a bit by "accordion ing" when there's construction slowing or even just turn her off as it is quick to restart and Fred Flintstone my way where practical. I did risk getting a ticket in CO on one trip. They had an incredible, never ending, put Disney ride lines to shame, closure on I-70 and due to the grade and constant slipping of the clutch I was really worried I'd burn it up so I a decided a new clutch was more than the fine to creep along the shoulder and even with that I wasn't concerned with engine overheating.

I have the other problem. The TC has more displays than you can imagine. Rider has to choose in the settings which displays you want on the screen.

Back