Test Rode the R18B, now I have questions...

Hello all, I am a long time BMW owner (2003 R1100S) and I was looking to upgrade to a newer bike. I love the look of the TC and I went to the closest dealer and they had two Baggers. I rode one of the two, which happened to be a trade in with less than 1500 miles. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I was initially concerned that I would not have enough legroom with the big jugs. Legroom is not an issue. The engine is plenty powerful. My biggest concern, it appears the suspension was pretty tight and over bumps, the bike seemed very jittery and I felt a lot of vibration in the bars. Does this get better as the bike reaches break-in? Also, how bad does the bike vibrate at highway speeds at 70-80 mph? I really appreciate any and all feedback.

BP

Others will fill u in. Only the base r18 and Classic get the limited 3.5" vs...I think 4.7" rear suspension trave on B and TC so the Bagger should ride fine. Maybe the rear shock setting was wrong for your weight? I have just the base 2021 r18fe so not of much help to you.

Sounds like you can handle the weight fine. Top speed...hum not sure though was thinking 70 then she has some vibes. Others will advise. Recall one said toss her in Rain mode then maybe smooth to up to say 75 or 78. Don't know after the engine breaks in, say 5000 miles just to pick a number, if the engine will smooth out more and be smoother at higher speeds

Unfortunately, the suspension of the B and TC is not adjustable. The suspension for those bikes is based on the bike’s load weight.

Vibration is to be expected from the big twin, however a Bren Tune will help smooth it out some, though it’s not cheap.

Unfortunately, the suspension of the B and TC is not adjustable. The suspension for those bikes is based on the bike’s load weight.

Vibration is to be expected from the big twin, however a Bren Tune will help smooth it out some, though it’s not cheap.
So both front and rear is auto adjusted. Wonder if changing ride mode also changes how firm suspension feels if in Rock mode.

I own a B. Got mine in late August and it has 1100 miles on it.

You didn’t say what you weigh, although the auto suspension adjusts for that. I’m about 170 lbs. It may be that a light rider would experience a stiffer ride?

I find the bike very comfortable back roads and highway. My wife has ridden pillion for a couple of hours with no complaints.

It does 80 on the highway with no significant vibration.

I’d check the tire pressure if the bike feels rough. Over-inflation maybe?

Ask for another test ride. They really seem to want to sell these bikes!

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback! I am about 40 pounds heavier than you. Most of the chatter was in the front end. Perhaps the dealer did add too much air to the front tire as he took it to the service bay before I had the chance to ride it. I will look for a TC to test ride on the highway. Looking forward to my retirement and Christmas present to me!!

Airborne62025,
I have an R18TC minus the topbox so it looks like an R18B. The rear suspension is computer controlled and does a good job on RR tracks and bumps in general. There is a lot to like with this bike although it is a slower turning motor.
At 50 mph in 4th the bike is smooth (2,500 rpm). Same for 60 mph in 5th (2,500 rpm). Same for 70 mph in 6th (2,500 rpm). Above 2,800 rpm (80 mph) there is some footboard vibration.
But I noticed this week at 2,500 miles on the odometer that the bike is smoothing out a bit at high speed. I was cruising at 77 mph on the local interstate highway and noticed I wasn't feeling foot board vibes.

Bonjour, mon Tc à 2000 km, je l’ai essayé 2 fois avant de l’acheter, c est une moto à essayer plus longuement en essais , une bonne heure , ou mieux , une demi journée pour pouvoir apprécier, c est ce que j’ai fait et dans mon cas , elle cochait finalement toutes les cases .Oui , ça vibre , mais finalement vous verrez que ce n’est pas gênant, après chacun appréciera à sa façon.

Ride mode makes a difference in vibes (definitely at lower speeds) and how sensitive the throttle is. Part of the character of the big boxer is the engine vibes. I will say that I've not found the vibes problematic at highway speeds. They are more of a low frequency rumble. If I have to be stuck on a highway for more than 10 miles, I usually switch to Roll mode. The bike handles so much better than other cruisers though, so I'm more often riding on back roads. It's not unusual for me to still do highway speeds on back roads, but as the engine rpm is changing all the time, and I'm more actively riding, I don't notice the vibes as a bad thing.

My S1000R on the other hand has a high frequency vibe in the handlebars at steady highway speed that can numb your hands quickly. Riding my R18 on highway.... it's a bit boring, but not uncomfortable, while my S1000R is both boring and uncomfortable.

I'm also about 6-1 with a 34" inseam. My R18B became noticeably smoother after 1k miles. A taller windscreen and lower wind shades also greatly reduced the terrible highway speed buffetting. If I could do it all over again, I would purchase a TC over the bagger. The TC's wind protection parts alone are worth the extra money IMO.

Back