The R18B is almost perfect.......but not totally

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

During a pleasure cruse this evening at 75 deg F, I noted several mph / rpm combinations:

1) At 50 mph, tach reads 2,500 rpm in 4th (total smoothness)
2) At 60 mph, tach reads 2,500 rpm in 5th (total smoothness)
3) At 70 mph, tach reads 2,500 rpm in 6th (total smoothness)

Seems too good to be true that the rider cannot feel the bike at these values due to vibration cancellation.

4) At 80 mph, the tach reads 2,800 rpm in 6th gear (substantial vibration in the floor boards). There likely is nothing that can be done about this but it is a bit much.
At 80 mph on the HD RoadGlide, the rpm is 3,000. That bike begins to buzz at 2,900 rpm but the buzz is a high frequency and is throughout the bike. On the R18B, the floor boards develop a substantial shake that is a bit discouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:
A youtube reviewer felt. pardon the pun. that the R18B had more vibrations then the base R18 did. Though that would be odd as they are the same engine…don’t though they have different rear end gearing? Wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Then again with the boxer engines they seem to get smooth as the miles increase.

Last edited:
Imagine it had 7th gear or overdrive, possible 80 in 7th would be smoothness? I've reached for a 7th that wasn't there, I would find it useful.

During a pleasure cruse this evening at 75 deg F, I noted several mph / rpm combinations:

Seems too good to be true that the rider cannot feel the back at these values due vibration cancellation.

4) At 80 mph, the tach reads 2,800 rpm in 6th gear (substantial vibration in the floor boards). There likely is nothing that can be done about this but it is a bit much.
At 80 mph on the HD RoadGlide, the rpm is 3,000. That bike begins to buzz at 2,900 rpm but the buzz is a high frequency and is throughout the bike. On the R18B, the floor boards develop a substantial shake that is
I was on a long interstate ride, and recall the vibration you mention. But, I also recall that, the vibration smoothed out by increasing or reducing my rpms (speed). Remember, the speedometer is off by 4-5 mph on these bikes. That worked for me. I have never experienced, any numbing of my hands, or feet, on the R18 platform. I did experience hand numbing, on my S1000XR, on the interstate.

Good point pbosik, the hand grips don’t seem to reflect the same vibe as felt in the floorboards.
I should add that while parked at Casey’s convenience store/gas station last night I got 4 good compliments for having a beautiful bike. It came from all ages.
This BMW has exceptional good looks.

Seems too good to be true that the rider cannot feel the bike at these values due to vibration cancellation.

At 80 mph on the HD RoadGlide, the rpm is 3,000. That bike begins to buzz at 2,900 rpm but the buzz is a high frequency and is throughout the bike. On the R18B, the floor boards develop a substantial shake that is a bit discouraging.
Wonder if changing ride mode would help reduce vibs

Okay motoring, are you a bike mechanic?
I went out on the interstate highway in "RAIN" mode and was able to run the bike up another 4 mph before the dreaded foot massage began. In RAIN mode, I traveled 76 / 77 mph after which the vibes started to grow. In ROCK mode the foot vibes start are 73 mph.

Okay motoring, are you a bike mechanic?
I went out on the interstate highway in "RAIN" mode and was able to run the bike up another 4 mph before the dreaded foot massage began. In RAIN mode, I traveled 76 / 77 mph after which the vibes started to grow. In ROCK mode the foot vibes start are 73 mph.
Lol…nope, just recall having heard it being said on a youtube review and it caught my eye…well ear :)
Glad it gave you a drop more speed in the comfort zone. Would have sucked if 70 were the max speed for enjoyable cruising.

I just hope the base R18FE running speed feeling will be the same. Then again, without a screen…just hanging on at the speed would be more of a concern than vibs on the base bike.

Honestly though, my mind set not bike friendly for many many many months of late. This whole figging summer my goal has been to just stay out of heat down here in florida. I can see why some people would want to leave this State due to the heat.

Call it old age or what not but being on a bike in the heat of the summer does not do it for me anymore. Happy for others that do it in such conditions else in parts of the County with cooler weather. Oddly enough, though need to start again after a few months no doing it, I had been riding a manual bicycle (old high in Specialized Tri-Cross model) for 6am rides for short 12 to 15 miles distances three times a week. Due to the heat it was the only way I wanted to get that exercise during the summer months.

It is coming into September though so bit by bit the temps will lower with any luck down here. Plus R18 demo rides at dealer this Saturday :) will tell me if I screwed myself getting the base model. At least if I feel down the road I did make the wrong call then maybe will take less of a hit at resale (I mean how low can a used bike bike get when you are paying like 11k for it new right)? Hum…maybe I don’t want to know that answer. Though thinking/hoping the bmw solo seat I am considering might help cushion things a bit when hitting bumps.

Last, I need to get my 19 goldwing tour dct out of the garage and on the road for a ride. It has been so long I honestly have forgotten what it feels like to ride it.

Yes, I am a poor excuse for a motorcycle rider these last several years. And it is probably wrong to use the excuse of being 65 now as one of the reasons. Damn sure is different from when I did over 200,000 miles on my old/5 BMW back in the day. But that was a much earlier time and much younger than.

Need to sort out travel plans to go get the new bike. I don’t think I want to have it shipped sight unseen though that is an option, people do it all the time and will probably cost me about $400 to do that Instead of all the traveling (flight/drive plus 4 hour bus ride). If sent in covered trailer that would be worth it.

Saw a post about ceramic coating and PPF film stuff being applied to the bike to protect the paint so might look into that as well. Seems weird to ceramic coat paint them put film on it but guess that is a thing now days. Hope film works on a bike with hand painted pen strips. Got a guy across the street that does ceramic coating so guess could get that done first then maybe try some film from amazon (need to find that other post for the name) then try to put that on myself. Thinking it would be a pain with the shape of the tank to get the film to lay over the curves. Thinking of just trying to do the the tank maybe.

Any way, hope is not lost…BMWRA rally in September so that should be Fun even if I take the doggies in a car. Hate to leave the fur balls at home. Wunderlich has a, to me, a too cool light to show off the shift drive that I will be eyeing to get…maybe with a Show 10% coupon.

Last edited:
Back