Thinking about a R18 Transcontinental

You have a lovely machine there. I too find that at 80mph the vibrations are a bit more noticeable but not to the point when I may loose a tooth filling, in my case they are manageable. Having said that, I normally cruise at 70mph on Roll mode and she is smooth like butter. This is the national speed limit in the UK motorways anyways and we have plenty of yellow cameras taking pictures of you if you break the limit.

What sort of connection issues you have with the app? I am asking as I hear some folks mentioning this but I have experienced none myself, only once when I briefly ran into an area where my mobile network had poor coverage but that was it.
Cheers

It’s not vastly superior, it’s just a different bike.

I sold my 21 TC and bought a 22 GTL. I wanted nimbler handling in the twisties and more luggage capacity for touring. The TC’s luggage capacity was just barely enough for my wife and I over a weekend trip. The K16’s engine is IMO, is the best engine in a motorcycle.

But… the K16 has no character. It’s so smooth it just lulls you to sleep on those highway drones. For long rides both myself and my wife were more comfortable on the TC. Of all the bikes I’ve had, my wife felt the TC was the most comfortable bike she’s been on. When you’re riding the TC you know you’re riding a motorcycle - it just oozes character.
I’m 6’1”, 250 lbs and the TC just fit me better. I actually kinda regret selling the TC now, and may eventually sell the GTL and get another TC.
I have a 2022 TC, you wanna swap the bikes ;)

2572 miles.

Attachments

• 25154935-5C7E-4B0D-88E9-D0B547C9303E.jpeg
    25154935-5C7E-4B0D-88E9-D0B547C9303E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 70932002971__4CF2CD46-13FF-48E6-BBBB-C07022784AEC.jpeg
    70932002971__4CF2CD46-13FF-48E6-BBBB-C07022784AEC.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 13
Thanks, but not a fan of matte paint colors.
What don’t you like about it?
Not being a versatile and agile as my old GSA 1250... And of course smoothness is an issue for me too. I have to admit it's a fun bike to ride but not an ideal bike to ride. If I could have two bikes I'd keep this one and get a GSA too... But as in my situation when I could have only one bike, then this shouldn't be my bike.
At 0% 5 year deal, I don't mind if I don't sell it honestly. It's a beautiful bike, I mean it looks like an artwork. I got many oooohs and aaahhhs from people when they see it.
Even though I prefer a GSA nobody ever told me "wow that's a beautiful bike" for any one of my GSA models in the past (which I owned a lot of them) .
But this one gets that "head turner" look and comments...

Not being a versatile and agile as my old GSA 1250... And of course smoothness is an issue for me too. I have to admit it's a fun bike to ride but not an ideal bike to ride. If I could have two bikes I'd keep this one and get a GSA too... But as in my situation when I could have only one bike, then this shouldn't be my bike.
At 0% 5 year deal, I don't mind if I don't sell it honestly. It's a beautiful bike, I mean it looks like an artwork. I got many oooohs and aaahhhs from people when they see it.
Even though I prefer a GSA nobody ever told me "wow that's a beautiful bike" for any one of my GSA models in the past (which I owned a lot of them) .
Funny how all things are relative. I've only ridden kind of bare-bones bikes for the most part (bonneville, sportster), so the pros of the R18B are so pronounced to me that it's not even funny. I hit 4th gear in rock or roll mode and I'm gliding across glass on this thing. I'd have my mind blown apart by something even further refined. It's a big heavy mother, but def best bike I've had the joy to ride.

Funny how all things are relative. I've only ridden kind of bare-bones bikes for the most part (bonneville, sportster), so the pros of the R18B are so pronounced to me that it's not even funny. I hit 4th gear in rock or roll mode and I'm gliding across glass on this thing. I'd have my mind blown apart by something even further refined. It's a big heavy mother, but def best bike I've had the joy to ride.
Exactly. Our riding styles and ride plans are unique to each one of us. I hardly ride my bikes locally. I mean if I have to go somewhere within 100 mile destination (roundtrip) I don't even bother to dress up and get on my bike 95% of the time. When I am dressed and on my bike 90% chance I am going on a trip to a destination at least 200-250 miles away from my home and for an overnight stay OR 10% chance my bike is loaded like a miner's mule and I am gonna be on the road at least 1 to 2 weeks and cover 2000-3000 miles by riding thru all kinds of back country roads. I am a fan of those less traveled side roads (not dirt) but filled with potholes and neglected for decades kind of scenic routes that ends up in a place where I can find a place to sleep with indoor plumbing.
I am not a fan of crossing knee deep creeks or jumping over soccer ball size rocks etc... But during most of my tips it's not uncommon for me not to pass a gas station for over 100 miles at times and the road surfaces last time had any maintenance seems like was in the 1970s or 80s...
Therefore GSA is my all time favorite bike and suits my semi-aggressive + semi-adventurous riding style better compared to R18TC.
I wish I could afford to have them both at the same time.

Agree 100%

That's an affirmative here.... Picking up my 2023 1250 GS tomorrow. Mr. Klipfel of BMW Motorcycles of Ventura got my business. Not a head turner, but hey, I'm good with that. How it rides, and how smooth the boxer motor is is a win, IMHO. Didn't want to wait for a R 1300 GS, since BMW has had 4 years to refine the R 1250 series and completely (hopefully) debug it.

Still going to keep the Sport Glide, for now.

That's an affirmative here.... Picking up my 2023 1250 GS tomorrow. Mr. Klipfel of BMW Motorcycles of Ventura got my business. Not a head turner, but hey, I'm good with that. How it rides, and how smooth the boxer motor is is a win, IMHO. Didn't want to wait for a R 1300 GS, since BMW has had 4 years to refine the R 1250 series and completely (hopefully) debug it.

Still going to keep the Sport Glide, for now.
I envy you...
Also, I got my 2022 TC from them too...
Enjoy your R1250GS in good times and ride safe my friend!
Say Hello to the crew in Ventura BMW from Capt. Jim Davis of Blue Ocean Whale Watch in Monterey Bay.

You have a lovely machine there. I too find that at 80mph the vibrations are a bit more noticeable but not to the point when I may loose a tooth filling, in my case they are manageable. Having said that, I normally cruise at 70mph on Roll mode and she is smooth like butter. This is the national speed limit in the UK motorways anyways and we have plenty of yellow cameras taking pictures of you if you break the limit.

What sort of connection issues you have with the app? I am asking as I hear some folks mentioning this but I have experienced none myself, only once when I briefly ran into an area where my mobile network had poor coverage but that was it.
Cheers
The connection issues I have are basically random drops. Most of the time, the app launches and a connection is established with no problems. Then after riding down the road with everything working as it should, the connection will drop. Much of the time, drops are quickly reconnected with no problems. However, there are times when the drop is permanent. The only way to fix it is to pull off the road, turn the bike off, restart my phone, wait about 10-15 minutes and hope for the best. That's why I said it is maddening. You can't predict it but you can be sure that when it happens, you are somewhat relying on it.

The connection issues I have are basically random drops. Most of the time, the app launches and a connection is established with no problems. Then after riding down the road with everything working as it should, the connection will drop. Much of the time, drops are quickly reconnected with no problems. However, there are times when the drop is permanent. The only way to fix it is to pull off the road, turn the bike off, restart my phone, wait about 10-15 minutes and hope for the best. That's why I said it is maddening. You can't predict it but you can be sure that when it happens, you are somewhat relying on it.
Android or iPhone? Assuming you have the latest TFT software on the bike and latest OS on the phone, Android should connect automatically while the iPhone initially requires a manual join to the bike’s WiFi. Though the iPhone seems to maintain its stability better.
Also there are some phone specific settings that will help the connection from dropping.
I have an iPhone and after the initial manual join from home, it will reconnect automatically even after the bike is turned off and on again.

I don't think the disconnect issues are random; meaning, I have found two locations where it happens with 100% repeatability. I suspect there's a microwave link or an extremely high power Wi-Fi network which is co-channel with the frequency being used between my phone and the TFT unit.

I'm using a Google Pixel which reconnects automatically; I found that downloading all of my music onto my device, vs streaming it allows for continuous music where cellular coverage is spotty.

Android or iPhone? Assuming you have the latest TFT software on the bike and latest OS on the phone, Android should connect automatically while the iPhone initially requires a manual join to the bike’s WiFi. Though the iPhone seems to maintain its stability better.
Also there are some phone specific settings that will help the connection from dropping.
I have an iPhone and after the initial manual join from home, it will reconnect automatically even after the bike is turned off and on again.
I use an Android phone (Google Pixel 7). I believe I have the optimal settings for the phone to remain connected indefinitely. Incidentally, when I don't need the map/navigation, it often works flawlessly without a disconnection. I just can't necessarily count on it when I need it.

I don't think the disconnect issues are random; meaning, I have found two locations where it happens with 100% repeatability. I suspect there's a microwave link or an extremely high power Wi-Fi network which is co-channel with the frequency being used between my phone and the TFT unit.

I'm using a Google Pixel which reconnects automatically; I found that downloading all of my music onto my device, vs streaming it allows for continuous music where cellular coverage is spotty.
Scott,

I notice the disconnects most often when on trips. That's when I need the maps/navigation the most. When I am out riding on a Saturday afternoon, I am always on familiar roads and can't say that I have noticed a place that consistently causes a disconnection. I will try to pay attention to that going forward. Additionally, I also have a '22 R1250RT with the same system. I will watch to determine if disconnects (when they happen), happen on both bikes at a given location. That will be truly interesting.

Back