Those pesky BMW micro-encapsulated screws

AV8OR

Hi fellow riders,
BMW wants to make a profit. Understood. But these screws ...I find a wee bit problematic. Here are my observations and concerns; most grateful for any nuggets of wisdom.
I extract a screw, say from the seat or the soft bag and there is a residue of metal dust from the stainless steel of say the M8x25 screw. I have been taught the "trick" of cleaning the screw and adding a drop of Locktite 242 (blue) in lieu of spending $$ on new BMW branded screws. However, recently one of the screws broke off, rendering my seat unsecured and the machine unrideable. I was concerned that perhaps some of the metallic residue from the screw, which remains on extraction, caused the screw to bind or cross-thread.
Q: How do I clean the hole for the screw? Do they pass through the frame and would compressed air help? If metallic deposit remains in the threads inside the hole, how to remove? Is a brass brush, such as that used for the barrel of a pistol a good idea to clean threads? (No solvent obviously).
By the way, a huge shout out to my local Calgary BMW Moto dealer who retrieved my machine from my home and drilled out the offending screw and replaced it. Under warranty. This is the standard of service I hope for, but was still so grateful for. This kind of thing drives brand loyalty like no other.

Back