Tires for the tubeless R18s

adamchandler

Anyone swapped their OEM tires yet? What did you go with and how do you like them? I'm looking for wet grip / longevity over cornering ability. I don't need a tire to dive in super aggressively, flatter with a good silica compound that fits the bagger / TC's tubeless wheels.

Although I run tubes in my R18C the Dunlop Elite(bias ply) are tubless.I run them on all 3 corners with my sidecar.

I just looked up the sizes on Chap Moto (not a customer, but they have good selections for comparisons). There were quite a few you could look at and I'm keeping an open mind as I need new shoes on my bike and there are always so many improvements even for "cruiser" tires.

It doesn't look like Dunlop has the correct sizes for your TC, but here's some personal experience with them. I ran a few sets on my Victory Cross Roads of the original Elites and the Elite 3s. The originals were terrible in the rain and the 3s only a bit better. Two good friends that put on serious miles tried the Elite4s and said they really handled well across the spectrum, but did wear appreciably faster which made sense given the new compounds used for bettering performance. Kind of a mute point due to sizing, but I have enjoyed several of the new Dunlop Sport and Sport Touring tires so I am not anti-Dunlop per se.

At the time Michelin Commander 2s were excellent for me so I stuck with them for a couple sets and now the Commander 3s on my Classic have continued to provide that dependable "all conditions" handling. The OEM installed Bridgestone's seem to have worked well or at least I don't recall problems with them on the R18s discussed here on the forum and I have liked a bunch of Continentals over they years in a variety of Sport Touring and Adventure tire selections. So for me in no particular order (maybe best sale pricing? ;) ), I would go Michelin, Bridgestone or Continental.

130/60B19 Dunlop for the front instead of the 120/70 R19.
The 130/60B19 is exactly the same diameter and width as the 130/90 B16 that is on the classic.
BMW again does some BS to get you locked into their little world.
Hell,just my opinion,I could be totally wrong as I am sure it will be pointed out,LOL!

Thanks guys. I was really hoping for folks who have been touring on cruisers for a while could point me to what the definitive cruiser tire was for long miles but R18C has a good point, BMW is always picking weird sizes which will limit your options.

My R18 Bagger is:
120/70 R 19 options on American Moto tire (where I buy most of my tires)
180/65 B16 rear tire options

Without any research, I'd probably pick the Road 6 or Commander III. The Metzler Roadtec looks like a nice tire but that's just me looking at how it looks. The D208 Dunlop looks nice too.

Back