to seat or not to

alticam

Hi all,

I recently got my R18 and love it so far but,... :)

The standard seat isn't that comfy after 1-1,5 hours of drive and to be honest, I do not like the look of it.

What are the options for new seats? I have been looking around and really like the Wunderlich Rockbob saddle but is it comfy?

I like a one-seater with the option to put the second seat in case my wife wants to join.

Any ideas? and if you have a great seat, feel free to post with a pîc :)

Do a search with Seat or Saddle.
This is a central topic on the forum.
Lot of options to discover.
I personally switched to a Corbin seat.
Very happy with it.

The stock seat is horrible. I replaced mine in my first week with the bike with the Weekender. The width is what really helps. It can also split to be solo seat or pillion. The pillion also has much more padding than stock. Most say a Russell Day Long will be the most comfortable, but I think it ruins the look of the bike. For me, the Weekender hits the balance right, it’s not so huge that it looks bad on the bike, but much more comfortable than the stock seat.

The stock seat is horrible. I replaced mine in my first week with the bike with the Weekender. The width is what really helps. It can also split to be solo seat or pillion. The pillion also has much more padding than stock. Most say a Russell Day Long will be the most comfortable, but I think it ruins the look of the bike. For me, the Weekender hits the balance right, it’s not so huge that it looks bad on the bike, but much more comfortable than the stock seat.
that Russel looks indeed a bit ...off, I find enough pictures of the Weekender but not complete on a bike, do you have a pic from yours?

I have had an R18 FE for about a year and a half, and 3k miles. I am on my fourth seat.
1) stock seat. Enough said
2) Mustang. Good enough, but I didn't like the aesthetics of the passenger seat.
3) High seat. Adds just under an inch, and looks pretty good; good enough for 1000 miles
4) Homage seat. This is the one I have on currently. I really like the looks. I wouldn't take it cross country, but it is comfortable in a utilitarian sort of way.

One caveat: The homage seat mounts differently than all the others. It requires it's own separate bracket, which is kind of a pain to install. This bracket has four mounting points. The front two are easy. The back two offer very little clearance to drive the bolts. I replaced the back two with hex bolts to put it all in place, then replaced the back ones one at a time. I acquired a set of Steelman Low Profile Torx drivers for this, without which I would have stayed with the hex bolts.

that Russel looks indeed a bit ...off, I find enough pictures of the Weekender but not complete on a bike, do you have a pic from yours?
Dude, are you looking for form or function? If you're trying to fall in love with a particular seat because of the way it looks you're looking at it for all the wrong reasons.
It's funny how the Russell looks a little off but the tractor seat is a beautiful addition to any R18. They have pretty much the same foot print in terms of size but definitely not the same foot print in terms of comfort
On top of that I tried the Weekender and the Cross Country and liked neither one of them. Actually I was puzzled at what you get for 600+ bucks. I expected a lot more.
I thought about taking a ride to Hollister for a ride in appointment with the Corbin wizards but instead of going 175 miles southwest, I went 175 miles north to Shasta Lake. Actually I did not go, like many times in the past, but ordered it on line and got it delivered 75 days later. The boys are very, very busy, which should tell you a few things about how many riders find their product to be the best.
Look at the picture and tell me by how much is my seat off. Percentages will work!

Attachments

• R18 Russell Seat.jpg
    R18 Russell Seat.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 81
Form.

I fell in love with the look from the first prototypes. The oil cooler addition was a detraction, but I suppose must be lived with. I like the fishtails, which is why I didn't get the classic, and why I haven't added bags. I removed the passenger pegs so that the view of the driveshaft is unobstucted. Relatedly, the curve of the fishtail allows the image of the drive shaft to be reflected upward, which is kind of cool. So I am with the homage seat as I like the look, and the function is adequate for my around town rides. I have other bikes for longer rides.

I have had an R18 FE for about a year and a half, and 3k miles. I am on my fourth seat.
1) stock seat. Enough said
2) Mustang. Good enough, but I didn't like the aesthetics of the passenger seat.
3) High seat. Adds just under an inch, and looks pretty good; good enough for 1000 miles
4) Homage seat. This is the one I have on currently. I really like the looks. I wouldn't take it cross country, but it is comfortable in a utilitarian sort of way.

One caveat: The homage seat mounts differently than all the others. It requires it's own separate bracket, which is kind of a pain to install. This bracket has four mounting points. The front two are easy. The back two offer very little clearance to drive the bolts. I replaced the back two with hex bolts to put it all in place, then replaced the back ones one at a time. I acquired a set of Steelman Low Profile Torx drivers for this, without which I would have stayed with the hex bolts.
guess option 4 looks good for me, just hoping this is comfy enough for a 1-3hour drive

Dude, are you looking for form or function? If you're trying to fall in love with a particular seat because of the way it looks you're looking at it for all the wrong reasons.
It's funny how the Russell looks a little off but the tractor seat is a beautiful addition to any R18. They have pretty much the same foot print in terms of size but definitely not the same foot print in terms of comfort
On top of that I tried the Weekender and the Cross Country and liked neither one of them. Actually I was puzzled at what you get for 600+ bucks. I expected a lot more.
I thought about taking a ride to Hollister for a ride in appointment with the Corbin wizards but instead of going 175 miles southwest, I went 175 miles north to Shasta Lake. Actually I did not go, like many times in the past, but ordered it on line and got it delivered 75 days later. The boys are very, very busy, which should tell you a few things about how many riders find their product to be the best.
Look at the picture and tell me by how much is my seat off. Percentages will work!
haha thanks, do you have a picture from the side view? The one you shared is almost top-down. I would like to see the side of the seat.

I had the Day Rider seat on my R18. Much more comfortable, can be used without pillion and aesthetically, suited the bike imo.

Attachments

• 6F97644B-99D5-4D71-86AA-2E57B76601AE.jpeg
    6F97644B-99D5-4D71-86AA-2E57B76601AE.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 58
haha thanks, do you have a picture from the side view? The one you shared is almost top-down. I would like to see the side of the seat.
My BMW has been at the dealership for over a month. I will satisfy your curiosity after I ride it home from there.
Final drive leaks.

Does the pillion seat fit on the bike with the RDL? Loved my RDL on my K16gt and would love one on the R18.

Does the pillion seat fit on the bike with the RDL? Loved my RDL on my K16gt and would love one on the R18.

I never had the BMW stock pillion seat and the RDL together. I hope you can figure it out by looking at these two pictures.

Attachments

• Seat and Pillion Seat.jpg
    Seat and Pillion Seat.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Seat and Pillion Seat 2.jpg
    Seat and Pillion Seat 2.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 27
Totally get what you chaps are saying about comfort but for me how it looks trumps that so I’m leaving it stock. Bit sexist but this comparison captures it for me …..

View attachment 8123
You're not going to get too far on your R18 with the stock seat in place, but you will give yourself the once in the lifetime opportunity of understanding why pain is considered to be the only real experience in life.
As far as the picture you posted, is not about what the shoes look like but what they accomplish.
High heels are your stock seat but are great for transforming a saggy ass into a sexy looking ass, and a sexy looking one into a perfectly rounded one.
Flat shoes are very common among catholic school female teachers. And that's because the ones raised in a religious environment tend to live delusional lives, pretending not to care how their butts look like.
Which is a lie...

You're not going to get too far on your R18 with the stock seat in place, but you will give yourself the once in the lifetime opportunity of understanding why pain is considered to be the only real experience in life.
As far as the picture you posted, is not about what the shoes look like but what they accomplish.
High heels are your stock seat but are great for transforming a saggy ass into a sexy looking ass, and a sexy looking one into a perfectly rounded one.
Flat shoes are very common among catholic school female teachers. And that's because the ones raised in a religious environment tend to live delusional lives, pretending not to care how their butts look like.
Which is a lie...
Not all people are preoccupied with sex appeal. Over 60% of adult Americans are noticeably obese. We are a fat nation. It’s obvious at Walmart.

Back