Today ride in Gorges de la Loire, France

How do you like the R18 in the tight European towns, often with roads that have no shoulder? I've done them on an Indian Roadmaster and it was OK, but I expect that the R18 will excel in the tight stuff.

Last edited:
I just begin getting familiar with my R18. It is very easy to handle on small country / mountain roads, same as my Scout; but more difficult with sharp U turns !!

"more difficult with sharp U turns !!"
This is a challenge.. I have been doing some practicing in the local school with my R18, for very sharp turns you have to shift your ass off the seat a little more than normal and balance between power and rear brake. Give it time and practice and you'll have it down good. Took me about 6 months before I was comfortable getting my K1600GTL to do low speed lock-to-lock turns. I'm not there yet on the R18, but I haven't had much time to really practice.

By shifting your bum off of the seat, I presume that you're doing the "shift the bum to the outboard side" technique, as taught in the MSF Rider Course, for low speed maneuvers?

By shifting your bum off of the seat, I presume that you're doing the "shift the bum to the outboard side" technique, as taught in the MSF Rider Course, for low speed maneuvers?
Correct... If you are not used to it, it is awkward at first. It is worth every penny to go to the MSF course, especially if it is one that has bike rentals. Use their bikes to learn, rather than dropping your own.

Correct... If you are not used to it, it is awkward at first. It is worth every penny to go to the MSF course, especially if it is one that has bike rentals. Use their bikes to learn, rather than dropping your own.
The MSF course is GREAT! I have done the advanced course a few times and been an instructor-assistant once. It should be a required course for all new riders, with the states paying for the tuition.

Rainy Sunday ... so I've time to show you some pictures of my week rides around my house (10km limitation during confinement)

Le chateau d'Essalois

20210404 ma R18.jpg

The island and Chateau de Grangent
(it was once nestled on a promontory, 50 meters above the Gorges de la Loire, before the dam was built in the late 50s)

20210408 ma R18.jpg

Back