Toolkit

Alex-B

Hi all,

Regarding the tool kit on a base R18, I have all the tools but the spanner was in the document pack. I removed the side cover when I was adjusting the rear preload but couldn’t see an obvious space for the spanner to fit. Wording in the manual to me at least suggest all the tools should be under that cover.
Is everyone else’s the same?

Hi all,

Regarding the tool kit on a base R18, I have all the tools but the spanner was in the document pack. I removed the side cover when I was adjusting the rear preload but couldn’t see an obvious space for the spanner to fit. Wording in the manual to me at least suggest all the tools should be under that cover.
Is everyone else’s the same?
I taped mine to the inside of the cover. I set it a bit low so there was no interference.

Thanks both for confirming, seems the manual is slightly misleading. It’s not a major problem just nice to know I wasn’t missing something obvious.

I have not touched either of the covers and put the little wrench (which came with the documents instead of under the cover as per the manual) into my little pouch with my insurance and registration. Damn I wish someone would design a motorbike with a purpose built compartment for that kind of stuff. My old Aprilia had a compartment on top of the fuel tank which could hold all kinds of stuff, like the boot for my side stand, some spare change, a small rag for gas spills and that sort of thing. Oh, plus it has a huge space under the seat like most motos... man, this R 18 hasn't got room for diddly other than in the soft bags.

For a proper tour (I am doing 2-3,000 km on a trip) you need more than what is hidden under the side cover. I typically carry a wrench, a torque wrench (10-50 Nm), Torx-Bits (10-50), Hex (5-19) and Inbus-bits all of 1/4 plug size (thus small wrenches) - these are packed into small zip-lock bags, since the green plastic box is far too large. There is a battery (USB-charged) compressor & tire plug kit. Pliers of various kinds, First-Aid-Kit, and thats it. All are put into a bag below the headlamp and another one below the saddle.

Attachments

• Toolbag.jpg
    Toolbag.jpg
    681.4 KB · Views: 20
  • R18Tools.jpg
    R18Tools.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 19
On my FE I keep the 10 mm x 13mm open end wrench in my pocket. It's good for the mirrors and turn signals as well as the rear shock.

In my saddle bag, I carry a small TORX bit rachet set (about the size of a small cell phone), TORX foldable (pocket-knife), Stop & Go Tire plug kit, Ryobi Power (Tire) Inflator with 18v battery.

I replaced the spoke wheels with cast wheels so I could plug a flat tire versus calling for a tow truck and getting hauled to a dealer to fix the tube and tire.

The tire inflator takes up a bit of space but has a built-in gauge and seems to work well going on and off the tire stems.

Anything more severe it's a cell phone call to 800-BMW-HELP or whatever their number is that I have pasted on the inside of the tool cover and plugged into SPOT.

ryobi-inflators-p737d-1f_1000.jpg

Back