Trade in value

Without doubt I think you are right, the eco-mentalists here do want us off the roads. It won’t happen overnight but the two main political parties are broadly going in the same direction and Europe definitely is (with ever tighter Euro Regs) so sadly, it seems somewhat inevitable. I’ve got maybe 10 good years ahead when I hope to be able to ride bikes so I may just scrape it but for young kids now I reckon bikes like the R18 will be static displays in museums.
I agree ... other than that I hope to get 20 out of it 😁

Without doubt I think you are right, the eco-mentalists here do want us off the roads. It won’t happen overnight but the two main political parties are broadly going in the same direction and Europe definitely is (with ever tighter Euro Regs) so sadly, it seems somewhat inevitable. I’ve got maybe 10 good years ahead when I hope to be able to ride bikes so I may just scrape it but for young kids now I reckon bikes like the R18 will be static displays in museums.
I agree with the push to EV, but I disagree with the messaging. I always remind people elsewhere on the inter webs that we can't go from steam engine to "warp drive" in one fell swoop; It's going to take many, many steps to get there. I drive a diesel BMW X5 that gets pretty decent MPGs considering its size. But, technology needs to give us a decent power/density ratio in battery tech that is near comparable to gasoline-equivalent, or at least, charge times comparable to a current fuel up (or both).

Politicians can make all sorts of grandiose promises but, at the end of the day, if the scientists cannot come up with a solution on the politicians' timetable, there's no amount of rhetoric that can sh*t a unicorn out of a hat.

I don't think any of us need worry that our R18's, much less the rest of our gasoline fleets, are going to be obsolete anytime soon...

Mike

I agree with the push to EV, but I disagree with the messaging. I always remind people elsewhere on the inter webs that we can't go from steam engine to "warp drive" in one fell swoop; It's going to take many, many steps to get there. I drive a diesel BMW X5 that gets pretty decent MPGs considering its size. But, technology needs to give us a decent power/density ratio in battery tech that is near comparable to gasoline-equivalent, or at least, charge times comparable to a current fuel up (or both).

Politicians can make all sorts of grandiose promises but, at the end of the day, if the scientists cannot come up with a solution on the politicians' timetable, there's no amount of rhetoric that can sh*t a unicorn out of a hat.

I don't think any of us need worry that our R18's, much less the rest of our gasoline fleets, are going to be obsolete anytime soon...

Mike
Alternative fuels will arrive faster than all the problems facing the EV Industry will be solved.

Are you new to BMW? I have been riding them for a couple decades. They have historically terrible resale. I personally don't see that changing; but would love to be wrong.
No. I am not new to BMW, this is my 4th consecutive BMW.
I’m not saying it will have stellar resale price, but that the current dip is being exacerbated by the current over supply and slow demand.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t worry me. I have the bike that I want and that’s where it ends for me.

or at least, charge times comparable to a current fuel up (or both).
And to think these people make YouTube videos on how convenient it is to “charge while i have a Starbucks” and basically spend $12 on two cups of coffee which otherwise would have not been spent.
I’ve been tempted to make a video showcasing how fast i can “recharge” my ICE car.
The world is upside down.

If the Globalists get their way they could mandate ALL motorcycles go electric. Where they plan to get ALL this juice from.....as usual they have no idea. Harley of course already has an electric bike. I've owned Harley's...and why someone would want an ELECTRIC model, no rumble, no sound, no nuthin....is beyond me...maybe the same guys who loved seeing Dylan Mulvaney on their Bud Light cans!!!
Anyway....before I get thrown off the site.....I wouldn't doubt in the next tens years, maybe less, "THEY" determine motorcycles serve no purpose to society, and if you insist on having one, it will be electric...so we can buy more Lithium from China....
The point...R18s could be the "muscle cars" of bikes in the foreseeable future. Maybe hang on to yours if you have one....

If the Globalists get their way they could mandate ALL motorcycles go electric. Where they plan to get ALL this juice from.....as usual they have no idea. Harley of course already has an electric bike. I've owned Harley's...and why someone would want an ELECTRIC model, no rumble, no sound, no nuthin....is beyond me...maybe the same guys who loved seeing Dylan Mulvaney on their Bud Light cans!!!
Anyway....before I get thrown off the site.....I wouldn't doubt in the next tens years, maybe less, "THEY" determine motorcycles serve no purpose to society, and if you insist on having one, it will be electric...so we can buy more Lithium from China....
The point...R18s could be the "muscle cars" of bikes in the foreseeable future. Maybe hang on to yours if you have one....
Actually, China's pretty far down on the list in terms of overall known lithium deposits. The #1 spot goes to Bolivia. Even we in the US have more known lithium deposits than China, despite them using up their resources like a drunken sailor uses up a paycheck on shore leave.

Source: https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/six-largest-lithium-reserves-world/

Methinks we don't use our own natural resources for strategic reasons (e.g. think not drilling in ANWR), instead, drain the rest of the world dry while keeping our OWN resources untouched. It's a genius long-term plan.

Maybe, if those "drill, baby drill" people thought about what we were doing, they wouldn't be chomping at the bit to extract our own resources so damn fast...

Mike

Actually, China's pretty far down on the list in terms of overall known lithium deposits. The #1 spot goes to Bolivia. Even we in the US have more known lithium deposits than China, despite them using up their resources like a drunken sailor uses up a paycheck on shore leave.

Source: https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/six-largest-lithium-reserves-world/

Methinks we don't use our own natural resources for strategic reasons (e.g. think not drilling in ANWR), instead, drain the rest of the world dry while keeping our OWN resources untouched. It's a genius long-term plan.

Maybe, if those "drill, baby drill" people thought about what we were doing, they wouldn't be chomping at the bit to extract our own resources so damn fast...

Mike
K,

That would be great if true.....I don't see ANY strategic thinking out of Washington....I'm confident the country will be insolvent long before they think ahead....
But I hope your right. Meanwhile the push for non petromium based everything is real.....The only thing they hate more than oil....is us having fun on a bike!!!

K,

That would be great if true.....I don't see ANY strategic thinking out of Washington....I'm confident the country will be insolvent long before they think ahead....
But I hope your right. Meanwhile the push for non petromium based everything is real.....The only thing they hate more than oil....is us having fun on a bike!!!
I don't know who "they" are.

Let's steer this convo back from politics. 🍻

Mike

Motorcycles are not investments… always make sure you get the one you want and ride it until its a hot mess.
Especially a BMW. Now my GS is well sorted out, its high mileage but it has everything. Now my local BMW dealer is a crook but he offered me $2500 for it. I’m just gonna ride it until it starts puking fluid then part it out. BMW motorcycles have very little to no trade in value. They represent a very small portion of the motorcycle market but they are a hard sell used; the maintenance costs are stunning; my GS has to be broken in half for a new clutch!…

I know a lot of you are new BMW owners. We didn’t buy them because they are worth any money; we bought them because you can ride them 100,000 miles and still have a bike (except my R18 :)… I still love it but it has actually turned me off from ever owning another BMW… and I’ve owned more than I can count :))

Any way, I had a Harley thug Dyna… all blacked out… custom front and rear suspension and bored out to an insane 124. I don’t even remember what year it was but that little bike darn near paid for my R18. Simply, because somebody wanted it real bad. No one wants a rolling $3000 repair bill waiting to happen. They are a very tough sale.

Mike
You’re giving those in charge way too much credit. Our nonexistent energy policy just allows our energy dollars to be shipped overseas.

I was looking into trading in my 22 R18 B a few weeks ago and was completely floored by how terrible the depreciation is. I bought it less than a year ago new off the floor.

It has less than 2,000 miles on it now. At the dealer ship I went over the items the bike had on it as well as the options it came with. The sales man came back with both his boss and the finance guy. They stated that it was only worth around 8,500 and none of their wholesalers wanted it. I figured it was a dealer trick by Harley so I contact the BMW dealership I bought it from. I explained I was interested in getting something different , and we agreed to look at the K1600 B.

The dealer, that I BOUGHT IT FROM called me back and said none of his wholesalers wanted it. And they could only give me 8,000.

I was contacted by Harley and advised they had new sales and they wanted to get me out from under a bike that lost 14,000 in value over less than a year. When I went back they said the bike lost ANOTHER 600$ in value over the course of a week. At this point I was told everyone’s afraid to touch it because of the past stop sale BMW issues. Even tough it has been lifted no one wants it. Has anyone had any experience in having a vehicle lose so much value in a shaper time? If so. What did you do to get around it?
What are you looking to get into ?

I was considering a 2022 Street Glide ST or the Road Glide ST; I went with the R18 B First Edition and never looked back...

The HD price was creepy North by an additional $2k above MSRP, where the R18 B was negotiated South, and at 0.9% financing - the HD bikes started to look less appealing.

I've added some stuff to my Model B, which were only available on the TC; however, it's basically stock minus the J&H exhaust.

All my buddies have the above mentioned HD bikes... hardly a single original part is left on them... everything has been replaced. They're all easily North of $40k for their bikes..

Sold my 2008 GS Adventure w/ 96,600 miles on it to help offset the new R18 B.

Last edited:
Motorcycles are not investments… always make sure you get the one you want and ride it until its a hot mess.
Especially a BMW. Now my GS is well sorted out, its high mileage but it has everything. Now my local BMW dealer is a crook but he offered me $2500 for it. I’m just gonna ride it until it starts puking fluid then part it out. BMW motorcycles have very little to no trade in value. They represent a very small portion of the motorcycle market but they are a hard sell used; the maintenance costs are stunning; my GS has to be broken in half for a new clutch!…

I know a lot of you are new BMW owners. We didn’t buy them because they are worth any money; we bought them because you can ride them 100,000 miles and still have a bike (except my R18 :)… I still love it but it has actually turned me off from ever owning another BMW… and I’ve owned more than I can count :))

Any way, I had a Harley thug Dyna… all blacked out… custom front and rear suspension and bored out to an insane 124. I don’t even remember what year it was but that little bike darn near paid for my R18. Simply, because somebody wanted it real bad. No one wants a rolling $3000 repair bill waiting to happen. They are a very tough sale.
Sold my 2010 Dyna recently that had been completely modified. Had at least 35 K in it.... probably more. Was lucky to get $12,500 from my mechanic who wanted the bike. It was absolutely perfect.

Hopefully the R18 just does what it's designed to do....ride like a BMW. As far as resale....not part of my equation. It's like a raceboat.....you pay handsomely for every hour your out on the lake without a problem....

BMW are discounting 21 & 22 bikes heavily, other brand dealers are afraid of it. If you really want it gone your only hope to get a better deal would be a private sale to someone that wants one.
but they would be facing the same challenge because they would be trying to compete against BMW, their discount, full warranty and financing.

I was considering a 2022 Street Glide ST or the Road Glide ST; I went with the R18 B First Edition and never looked back...

The HD price was creepy North by an additional $2k above MSRP, where the R18 B was negotiated South, and at 0.9% financing - the HD bikes started to look less appealing.

I've added some stuff to my Model B, which were only available on the TC; however, it's basically stock minus the J&H exhaust.

All my buddies have the above mentioned HD bikes... hardly a single original part is left on them... everything has been replaced. They're all easily North of $40k for their bikes..

Sold my 2008 GS Adventure w/ 96,600 miles on it to help offset the new R18 B.
Welcome and enjoy the change of style! Ex-GS rider here too and loving my R 18 Classic

Well...

Most Beemers have dry clutches, so "breaking" (or, hinging them upwards) them in half is perfectly normal. It's how one separates the transmission from the engine housing. The fact that the motorcycle is designed to "break" in half is testament to that particular quirk.

If you want a wet clutch, get another motorcycle 🤷‍♂️. FWIW, BMW does have some models that have wet clutches, if that's more up your alley.

Mike

Back