Trade in value

What I’m about to write clearly does not apply to the US because your market is so different. I was curious so just had a quick look at the same BMW dealer I bought my leftover R18FE from last summer (in the UK). At that time they had 4 R18FE leftovers to shift and a couple of nearly new R18FE used ones. Six in other words. Well, they only have one new base R18 bike for sale, no used ones and it’s up at just over £22k.

I fully appreciate what the sticker price says and what it sells for may be very different and it’s only a dip sample BUT it would tend to support our ’hunch’ that BMW are perhaps finally scaling back and matching production to demand. If this is the case maybe in the next few years used prices may stabilize, especially as there’s definitely much more positivity from YouTubers reviewing the bikes (unlike those whiney magazine journo’s around launch time).

That sounds like some BS at that price. The cheapest B on cycletrader for the whole country is at 15k.
The Cycletrader price is a retail price. The dealer is quoting you a trade-in price. These are two totally different prices. Everyone seems to be missing that point. Also, the Cycletrader price is what they are wanting for the bike, not necessarily what the bike will sell for.

I agree with the push to EV, but I disagree with the messaging. I always remind people elsewhere on the inter webs that we can't go from steam engine to "warp drive" in one fell swoop; It's going to take many, many steps to get there. I drive a diesel BMW X5 that gets pretty decent MPGs considering its size. But, technology needs to give us a decent power/density ratio in battery tech that is near comparable to gasoline-equivalent, or at least, charge times comparable to a current fuel up (or both).

Politicians can make all sorts of grandiose promises but, at the end of the day, if the scientists cannot come up with a solution on the politicians' timetable, there's no amount of rhetoric that can sh*t a unicorn out of a hat.

I don't think any of us need worry that our R18's, much less the rest of our gasoline fleets, are going to be obsolete anytime soon...

Mike
Exactly. We have to implement the Epstein Drive technology first. Then warp drive.:cool:

Last edited:
Exactly. We have to implement the Epstein Drive technology first. Then warp drive.:cool:
TBH, I've never heard of the "Epstein Drive", I had to Google.

Looks pretty cool for sci-fi. A mass-propulsion ion drive is what I'm inferring from what I see. There are references to fusion pellets being the reaction fuel spent as the ejection mass.

It should also be noted that in Star Trek, Deuterium is used in the impulse engines (sub light engines) and station-keeping thrusters, with antimatter/dilithium reserved only for the warp reactor. Because deuterium can be found in gaseous anomalies (e.g. nebulas), the Bussard collectors on the warp nacelles (red glowing lights on the forward section of each nacelle) act as a deuterium collector, allowing each starship to refuel on extended missions away from space dock. Deuterium is also used to power all other ship systems, including life support, holodecks, replicators, gravity plating, structural integrity field, inertial dampers, etc.,

Did I mention I'm a sci-fi nerd? 🤣

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Mike

Looks pretty cool for sci-fi. A mass-propulsion ion drive is what I'm inferring from what I see. There are references to fusion pellets being the reaction fuel spent as the ejection mass.

It should also be noted that in Star Trek, Deuterium is used in the impulse engines (sub light engines) and station-keeping thrusters, with antimatter/dilithium reserved only for the warp reactor. Because deuterium can be found in gaseous anomalies (e.g. nebulas), the Bussard collectors on the warp nacelles (red glowing lights on the forward section of each nacelle) act as a deuterium collector, allowing each starship to refuel on extended missions away from space dock. Deuterium is also used to power all other ship systems, including life support, holodecks, replicators, gravity plating, structural integrity field, inertial dampers, etc.,

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Mike
Dude, this is awesome. We are not worthy! 🙀

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Mike
One of the best SciFi series: The Expanse. If you like Sci-Fi, try it. They actually treat G forces in space like real G forces, not like StarWars and others, where everyone's just standing around while the ships do combat maneuvering.

One of the best SciFi series: The Expanse. If you like Sci-Fi, try it. They actually treat G forces in space like real G forces, not like StarWars and others, where everyone's just standing around while the ships do combat maneuvering.
Well... 🤓 🤓 🤓

Star Wars never really explains why no one ends up as a splat on the back of the wall when they jump to hyperspace (or, I haven't dug into any retcon explanations, as I know Lucasfilm had to retroactively explain tech for the Comic-Con crowd). But, Star Trek has always taken great pains to at least TRY and make their sci-fi tech sound somewhat grounded in reality. For example, "Inertial Dampers" is the reason why "G" forces don't throw the crew around during space battles (generally) or when accelerating to warp. Further, the "Structural Integrity Field", or (SIF) is also why the superstructure of the ship doesn't also crumple like a tin can under the same "G" forces.

If you're impressed by the "Epstein Drive", take a few minutes to Google the theoretical "Alcubierre" warp drive, or here's a quick phys.org read:

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-alcubierre-warp.html

Einstein posed that traveling at the speed of light was impossible because moving mass at the speed of light would require an exponential rise in energy to propel said mass. This is also why photons of light are known to be massless, thus not violating Einstein's theory of relativity. However, Star Trek gets around this by using something called "subspace". The warp engines create a subspace bubble around the starship, thus warping spacetime around the ship, allowing the ship to travel faster than light (e.g. warp speed) and still be compliant with Einstein's theory of relativity.

Another example would be to take a piece of paper. Say you want to travel from one end of the paper to the other. With a traditional fusion engine, you'd have to travel the flat plane of the paper, but with warp drive, you'd flex the paper and bring the two ends of the paper together, allowing the ship to avoid the entire middle section all-together.

That's warp drive in a nutshell, even with the theoretical "Alcubierre" warp drive. Another fun fact is that antimatter is a real thing, and can be made:

https://angelsanddemons.web.cern.ch/antimatter/making-antimatter.html

I should stop now, before I end up writing a dissertation about Star Trek...on a motorcycle forum! 🤣🤣

Mike

A Harley road glide is what I was looking at.
I just sold my 22R18B with 8k miles to a long time hardcore HD rider without price negotiation within two days after my son put the add on FB. The gentleman picked up the bike past Saturday after waiting for 3 weeks for the bike because I was on the road trip in a mini van to Montreal and New England area.
My point is, there are buyers out there for all kinds of bikes. Post it up and have fun.

Back