Transcontinental at speed

Today I saw a guy or maybe a woman riding a Transcontinental at speed. It was a thing of beauty Here in LA we’re allowed to split lanes. They were smoothly cutting traffic to ribbons. I had no idea the bike could perform like that. I had to crank up my Multistrada to keep up. So now I may have a dilemma. I’ve been trying to sell my R-18 Bobber with no luck BMW is offering deals on the TC which may offset me getting killed trading in the Bobber. I also have a Grand America but I think they’re two different bikes. Question to you TC or Bagger owners. Do you love it? Is it too heavy or does it run hot in summer? My biddy told me to stop buying oddball bikes but I can’t help myself. BTW I know the 10 inch and electronics are a pain. Thanks

I have the 2022 Bagger which is I believe 50lbs lighter than the TC but I could be wrong. In a nut shell, I love my B in every aspect. It is not a light bike but it is well balanced and very soon you will get used to the weight and character. I am able to do slow moving manoeuvres which I thought I could not do when I first got my bike earlier this year. So B or TC? That all depends what your cruising plans are. No doubt the TC has the extra trunk and comfier seat for rider and passenger, the wind deflector around your knees etc but if you don’t need all those extra creature comforts and the B is cheaper and lighter then perhaps this would be the bike to go for.
Here in the UK it does not get too warm for too long so I cannot comment on heating up in traffic but if you can lane split then you should be alright.
Touching wood, I have not had any issues with my bike and I love the TFT infotainment.

I love the look of the Model B; the black color scheme and the look of the seat over the rear fender. I however, have also adopted some of the TC's best attributes onto my Model B:

Auxiliary Lights
Lower Leg Wind Protection
Fairing Winglets
Engine Protection BarScreenshot_20230701-090517.png

I love my TC!! I bought it in February 23, and I truly wish I had more time to ride. If I cannot ride it, i enjoy washing, polishing, and taking pictures of it. I currently live in Georgia, where the summer months can be brutal on any bike. Is it too hot, no hotter than any other bike in my opinion. I prefer to find routes that keep me out of bumper-to-bumper traffic. The weight is only noticeable when I stop. I have to plan to get my feet down and in the right position. Otherwise, it can tip over. Overall, I love my bike. At speed, it is very nimble for a 900+ lb bike. I would recommend going on an extended test ride. Doing the standard BMW test ride does not do it any justice.

Attachments

• R18TC1.jpg
    R18TC1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • R18TC2.jpg
    R18TC2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I have a 2022 R18 Bagger. Also own 2023 RT and 2023 GSA. I love the bagger. Yes it is heavy, but you get used to it and soon you will have increased confidence and appreciate what BMW has created. The R18 is a show piece, very beautiful and trouble free.

Attachments

• IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
Today I saw a guy or maybe a woman riding a Transcontinental at speed. It was a thing of beauty Here in LA we’re allowed to split lanes. They were smoothly cutting traffic to ribbons. I had no idea the bike could perform like that. I had to crank up my Multistrada to keep up. So now I may have a dilemma. I’ve been trying to sell my R-18 Bobber with no luck BMW is offering deals on the TC which may offset me getting killed trading in the Bobber. I also have a Grand America but I think they’re two different bikes. Question to you TC or Bagger owners. Do you love it? Is it too heavy or does it run hot in summer? My biddy told me to stop buying oddball bikes but I can’t help myself. BTW I know the 10 inch and electronics are a pain. Thanks
Here's my experience, YRMV. Wanted a K1600 since they came out. In 2021 I test-rode the TC and the K1600 back-to-back (not the same as your Grand America but still a comparo...). Ended up with the TC as I found it more stable at low-speed and in hwy turbulence (passing semi's at 75-85mph). Plus I like the different look. Made some adjustments to the ergonomics & brightwork to suit me.
Just finished a 4,000 mile 2-week shakedown trip on the TC from Pennsylvania to Maine & back: some interstate (in rain & dry, cruising at 85-90mph), lots of 2-lane country roads, some dirt roads, some road construction (VERY rough roads), rain, fog... the usual.
My results: the TC is a winner and I love riding it!

Love my bagger. Only thing I would not buy it for is doing 85 plus on the freeway all the time, which can be the flow of traffic in the bay area sometimes. Same thing for blasting through Nevada or something similar, but I don't like that much on any bike. The bagger is awesome for cruising. I commute with mine, over 100 miles, round trip. Taken it up and down 1. Much cooler in the summer than other bikes I've had. My FJR was like riding an oven.

I came from a 2019 Honda Goldwing DCT right off the showroom floor and after putting 3,000 miles on it, traded it in for my 2022 BMW TC. WOW, what a difference in quality in material and fit and finish and handling. If they (B.M.W.) ever figure out the total cutting-off issue while riding on the open highway, I really would love to build an R18 Classic with a sidecar to use for my estimating vehicle for my business. Absolutely love the way these bikes handle & look. Perfect balance!

I LOVE my Alcina (2022 R18 Transcontinental First Edition)!

Here's how I see it: Get the TC if you can afford it up front. If you don't like the top case, you can always remove it later. IMHO, it's cheaper to just get all of the TC goodies up front than to buy a bagger and then try building a TC later (plus, everything's already wired and coded ;)).

Mike

I ride R18 FE (or the "Pure" version as some call it), so as you're considering changing to TC from Bobber version, my experience may be relevant.

I took TC for a weekend over the summer and rode about 400 miles. I like my R18 and wanted to see if the TC version can offer anything extra. The conclusion was that TC is a completely different bike compared to FE.

1. TC feels much heavier than FE. I don't know what the reason is, on paper the difference is not that big. This probably has something to do with weight distribution. This is especially noticeable at low speeds or on twisty roads, TC is not as agile and much less suited to twisty roads than FE, which was a deciding factor for me.

2. At high speeds and on the highway it is obvious that TC has much better wind protection. This wasn't a big factor for me since I drive under 50 mph most of the time (this could be a big plus in the rain though, but I didn't have a chance to try out TC in the rain). I didn't notice any difference in stability at high speed.

3. The ergonomics are just completely different. I could probably make adjustments to TC to make it more comfortable if it was my bike. But in the “stock” configuration, the position was a little awkward (I am 6'3"), but again - this mainly affected maneuvering at low speeds and stability during active riding.

In general, I definitely recommend to rent TC and ride it for at least 100 miles, not just sit on it at dealership, before making any decision. I was very surprised that it turned out to be completely different from my FE and not suitable for the roads I usually ride on (UK). This is obviously a subjective opinion

I had two R18 classics and loved them. I went to the R18 Bagger for several reasons. First, I want a bike with forged rims versus spokes. I wanted tubeless tires vs tubed tires. I wanted a larger fuel tank with a gas gauge. I wanted better suspension, a fairing/windshield, and reverse. I wanted the ability to add adaptive cruise and locking bags. Nothing wrong with the pure or class, they are great but the B or TC give you a bit more. For example, if I get a flat on the B I can plug it. Not so on the pure or classic.

Any R18 is a great bike. It all depends on use and comfort level.

Solution? Own both!

Back