Transcontinental owners! Tell me about the windshield!

:confused: What is "The Tobinator Guy"?

Mike
For the R1150GS. Tobinators are a pair of add-on aluminum brackets that allow you to adjust the height & angle of the fixed windshield to your preference. Developed and sold by a guy in the U.K. in his basement, then much later by some aftermarket supplier. I bought mine directly from him. Very, very popular; now very unobtainium.
You could be That Guy! šŸ˜Š Which would be cool.

Iā€™ve only ridden around 100 miles on mine since I recently purchased it. Iā€™m 5ā€™ 9ā€ and Iā€™m looking through the windshield with an inch or two clearance from the lip of the windscreen. I rode the B but I found the edge of the windscreen was in my line of sight and somewhat distracting. I have no buffeting on my bike. I rode a 90 mile loop this weekend through little towns and also down a twisty well paved road at 80mph for about 30 miles. So far so good. My only wish is I found with a full face helmet I was getting a little hot, even with the winglets open to get more air. Iā€™m considering getting an open face helmet eventually. I was riding alone so I canā€™t comment on the air flow for a passenger.

Just fitted the tall Powerbronze screen to my R18B. Would say it's about 4 inches (10cm) taller vertically than the TC screen that came with the bike. It fitted perfectly but because there's no blacked-out strip along the bottom the fixing points are now obvious. Because I've fitted the 760mm TC seat I find I'm looking directly into the top edge. Reckon I'd be fully below the top if I reverted to the original seat (I'm 6'3"). Didn't notice any different noise level but did find the reflection of the top of the dashboard just below the screen's top edge a bit distracting. Other thing to mention is that the top if the screen is noticably closer to my head.

Attachments

• 20230831_160934.jpg
    20230831_160934.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
I am 5' 11" with a 30" inseam. The stock TC windscreen is about perfect for both rider and pillion, although it would be nice to get more air on hot days.

Let me tell you about my windshield: It sucks :mad:

Well, you asked! ;)
Disagree, but at 5'10", perhaps I don't experience the same problem. I do get buffeting that catches the top of my helmet but ONLY when my faceshield is up. When my faceshield is down, no problems at all.
I would like to see a laminar-type lip to see if it eliminates this small bit of buffeting but haven't really needed it.
I do wish the windshield was power-adjustable, that would be nice, but not necessary.

Disagree, but at 5'10", perhaps I don't experience the same problem. I do get buffeting that catches the top of my helmet but ONLY when my faceshield is up. When my faceshield is down, no problems at all.
I would like to see a laminar-type lip to see if it eliminates this small bit of buffeting but haven't really needed it.
I do wish the windshield was power-adjustable, that would be nice, but not necessary.
It sucks because on a $20,000+ costing bike windshield should have some adjustability. We're not all 5'10"... I am 6'1" and it feels like a drummer having a solo on top of my head everytime I go over 60mph.

As the title says, I am interested in hearing about the windscreen on the TC. I recently got a B and I wanted to add a screen to it but the review from 7 Jurok are very worrying.

How is the TC screen for the buffeting etc?

Thanks!

I am 6ft and had a lot of helmet buffeting with the stock windshield. It was somewhat reduced by installing TC windshield and only in calm air. The lower wind deflectors mounted on the crash bars are what's needed along with winglets to minimize the helmet buffeting.

It sucks because on a $20,000+ costing bike windshield should have some adjustability. We're not all 5'10"... I am 6'1" and it feels like a drummer having a solo on top of my head everytime I go over 60mph.
No, we're all different in many ways, not just height, and many of us are willing to trade-off/compromise with various pros & cons. Have you tried any mods? My GS required a good bit of monkeying around to get the airflow where I wanted it. Maybe you shoulda picked a different bike?

No, we're all different in many ways, not just height, and many of us are willing to trade-off/compromise with various pros & cons. Have you tried any mods? My GS required a good bit of monkeying around to get the airflow where I wanted it. Maybe you shoulda picked a different bike?

I agree 100%. I shoulda picked a different bike.
It was a big mistake to jump on this devil as an impulse buy!
When I looked at the TC, I thought myself "Hey, I never ride one of these type bikes so WTH, let me try"... I don't know WTH I was thinking?

I ride since 17 that makes 48 years of riding since I am now 65.
Last 20 yrs I've purchased 16 bikes because my wife reminds me that's how many bikes I've had since we got married... I don't count the ones before I got married...
I generally change a bike every year and (sometimes 2 a year) the longest I held on a bike was 18 months. Shortest was 4 months...

12 of those 16 bikes were brand new dealership purchases.
5 GSA, 3 Goldwing, 5 RT, 2 Valkyrie and current R18 TC...

You may have monkeyed around with your GS but if you remember unlike TC they do come with an adjustable windshield and adjustable seat...
That is all I am pointing out!
I am aware that people are in many different shape and size. I wonder if BMW thought of that when they are designing the TC or did they think only certain shape and size people will buy R18 models?

Now, I understand if R18 models came with adjustable windshields, still, it may not be perfect for some people but at least it may solve many people's complaints.

I used to put tall touring windshield to all my GSA bikes because I took them multiple week long trips over 3000-4000 miles. Goldwings didn't need that with their adjustable windshields. RT's electric windshield adjustability and wind protection was one of the best ever and didn't need any fixing.

So when I say, TC stock windshield sucks, don't get offended. Because it does suck for me and many people!
Of course it could be perfect for some. Good for them!
Could its sucky-ness(!) be corrected by monkeying around. Sure...

BTW, most of the bikes I sold within a year had always 8-9 thousand miles on them.
I bought my TC on June 2023 and still it has only 2100 miles on it and 300 of it from dealership to home...

if anyone would like, they can have it $2000 less than what I owe on it!
Like I said It was an impulse buy and I am hardly riding the poor bike!
After the 600 mile service I took her the dealership, this bike won't go in to the next oil change with me. That will be the next owners job!

Ride safe all,

I agree 100%. I shoulda picked a different bike.
It was a big mistake to jump on this devil as an impulse buy!
When I looked at the TC, I thought myself "Hey, I never ride one of these type bikes so WTH, let me try"... I don't know WTH I was thinking?

I ride since 17 that makes 48 years of riding since I am now 65.
Last 20 yrs I've purchased 16 bikes because my wife reminds me that's how many bikes I've had since we got married... I don't count the ones before I got married...
I generally change a bike every year and (sometimes 2 a year) the longest I held on a bike was 18 months. Shortest was 4 months...

12 of those 16 bikes were brand new dealership purchases.
5 GSA, 3 Goldwing, 5 RT, 2 Valkyrie and current R18 TC...

You may have monkeyed around with your GS but if you remember unlike TC they do come with an adjustable windshield and adjustable seat...
That is all I am pointing out!
I am aware that people are in many different shape and size. I wonder if BMW thought of that when they are designing the TC or did they think only certain shape and size people will buy R18 models?

Now, I understand if R18 models came with adjustable windshields, still, it may not be perfect for some people but at least it may solve many people's complaints.

I used to put tall touring windshield to all my GSA bikes because I took them multiple week long trips over 3000-4000 miles. Goldwings didn't need that with their adjustable windshields. RT's electric windshield adjustability and wind protection was one of the best ever and didn't need any fixing.

So when I say, TC stock windshield sucks, don't get offended. Because it does suck for me and many people!
Of course it could be perfect for some. Good for them!
Could its sucky-ness(!) be corrected by monkeying around. Sure...

BTW, most of the bikes I sold within a year had always 8-9 thousand miles on them.
I bought my TC on June 2023 and still it has only 2100 miles on it and 300 of it from dealership to home...

if anyone would like, they can have it $2000 less than what I owe on it!
Like I said It was an impulse buy and I am hardly riding the poor bike!
After the 600 mile service I took her the dealership, this bike won't go in to the next oil change with me. That will be the next owners job!

Ride safe all,
Yes, the GS has an adjustable windshield & seat, and both required aftermarket bits to get them right... for me.
You have owned many bikes, which brings broad experience. I haven't owned that many bikes in my 65 years on this planet & I've been riding for over 50 of those years. I tend to buy what I like/need and stick with it. But that's me.
It's unfortunate the TC didn't work out for you but I'm sure you'll do fine on your next bike. I wish you the best in finding your next ride.

Yes, the GS has an adjustable windshield & seat, and both required aftermarket bits to get them right... for me.
You have owned many bikes, which brings broad experience. I haven't owned that many bikes in my 65 years on this planet & I've been riding for over 50 of those years. I tend to buy what I like/need and stick with it. But that's me.
It's unfortunate the TC didn't work out for you but I'm sure you'll do fine on your next bike. I wish you the best in finding your next ride.
There's nothing wrong with the customization of a bike to make it a perfect fit to one's needs and body shape and size. But at least bike has to offer a little flexibility in certain areas.
I am sure my next one will be again an adventure bike whether a 2024 GSA or something else but first, this shaky BMW tank inside my garage got to go!
Thanks and ride safe,

There's nothing wrong with the customization of a bike to make it a perfect fit to one's needs and body shape and size. But at least bike has to offer a little flexibility in certain areas.
I am sure my next one will be again an adventure bike whether a 2024 GSA or something else but first, this shaky BMW tank inside my garage got to go!
Thanks and ride safe,
For men, one can never go wrong with a GS... but, admittedly, I am biased!
(Crap! Meant to write "For me..."!)

Last edited:
Back