Transcontinental Software Version

I don't see my s/w version on the list. Interesting. I know there are various posdible reasons. Unfortunately I have no idea what was included in this version.

My TC as of May 29 2023:
  • 012_007_030
Picked the bike up new in April 2022, had 1st service in June 2022. Looks like I need an update at the next service, which should be next month (June 2023).

Dealer: Kissell Motorsports, Tyrone, Pennsylvania, USA

Last edited:
Wow...just received a call from the dealer I'm supposed to purchase my new TC from......he says they dont want to do the update in fear of "bricking" the unit......I was like....WTF are you talking about? Then he goes on to say when I bring it to a Florida dealer for the 600 mile service they will do it there....I was like WTF are you talking about??? I'm in utter disbelief. I told him Ive owned several Ultra Limited and Goldwings where I flashed my own firmware downloaded from the company websites.....if the firmware is that flakey that your afraid to flash it I dont want the bike!.......he said hes checking with his rep and will get back to me.....

My take away is this dealers service dept doesn't have much confidence.

Craig

Slight segue: I asked my dealer's tech about a s/w update. I was told 'the bike would let me know when an update is needed'.

Anyone else experience this?

First I've heard of this. I don't believe it's like it's Windows or other operating systems that are automatically checking for updates.

My current ver. 012_007_030.

Slight segue: I asked my dealer's tech about a s/w update. I was told 'the bike would let me know when an update is needed'.

Anyone else experience this?

First I've heard of this. I don't believe it's like it's Windows or other operating systems that are automatically checking for updates.

My current ver. 012_007_030.
You can always tell them that you are experiencing "Technical difficulties" Radio cuts in and out, etc. just a little fib, that is usually grounds for a system update! ! ;)

I had the update 013.014.020 just this week 11/2/23 at BMW Hurst TX so far so good.
Thank you. I have had my 2022 in twice and the dealer said there was no update available in the system. I still have ver. 012_007_030 that my 2022 TC came with in 02/2023 when I bought it.

Thank you. I have had my 2022 in twice and the dealer said there was no update available in the system. I still have ver. 012_007_030 that my 2022 TC came with in 02/2023 when I bought it.
Same version as on my '22 from the factory.

I was in for service a month ago and asked the service manager. I was told they don't routinely do the s/w updates because they take a very long time to upload from BMW. They will do the upload if requested by the customer or a s/w-related issue is indicated. YEMV.

I'll be requesting a s/w update at my next service in the spring. Maybe I'll they'll give me another loaner bike to put some miles on for them. The last time they loaned me an R 1250 RT.... it was good fun.

Mine 22TC like yours was several software versions behind I bought one of the demo release bikes. I believe the version I had was one step before yours. I did pay 1/2hr labor for the updates which is fair seeing as how I didn't purchase the bike from them.
No issues to report as yet but time will tell. It is certainly more stable in navigation than it was.

Mine 22TC like yours was several software versions behind I bought one of the demo release bikes. I believe the version I had was one step before yours. I did pay 1/2hr labor for the updates which is fair seeing as how I didn't purchase the bike from them.
No issues to report as yet but time will tell. It is certainly more stable in navigation than it was.
Thanks for the feedback... half an hour doesn't seem very long to me. Guess I'll find out next spring!

Thanks for the feedback... half an hour doesn't seem very long to me. Guess I'll find out next spring!
It took about 2hrs for the download to complete but they charged me 1/2hr labor. They don't stand watching it they connect it to the mothership and let it do its own thing. That way only the software for that bike the way it was built can be loaded, hence the problems with turning a bagger into a TC mechanically it can be done but not electrically. It's all about liability and litigation. We are in a world run by politicians and attorneys neither of which know jack about the world the rest of us live in.
If it's any consolation everything is headed this way if it's not there already.

It took about 2hrs for the download to complete but they charged me 1/2hr labor. They don't stand watching it they connect it to the mothership and let it do its own thing. That way only the software for that bike the way it was built can be loaded, hence the problems with turning a bagger into a TC mechanically it can be done but not electrically. It's all about liability and litigation. We are in a world run by politicians and attorneys neither of which know jack about the world the rest of us live in.
If it's any consolation everything is headed this way if it's not there already.
Even better feedback... thanks again.

I concur on your liability/litigation observations. I'll add our ongoing over-reliance on too-intrusive and quite fragile technology.

Back