Transcontinental Software Version

It's an interesting point. I record music and I often hold off on computer updates until long after any potential issues have been discovered and fixed. I would assume that a similar philosophy would be appropriate here.

This is part of why I wanted to begin this thread. The more information we have on release dates, issues, fixes, etc... the more informed we can be on these updates.

@aicpjim what S/W version are you running on your TC?
12_008_040 is my current version.

As additional FYI.... I asked my dealer here in Florida about doing the update, I am one level back and am having issues with GPS. They told me that they would do it as part of a regular service and at no charge as I understood it. I did inquire about my Brentune load, they told me to drop back to stock before the update else Brentune would be blown away. From what they told me, they have no control over what gets updated....it's like all or nothing....

BMW should develope the Connect app as an interface for owners to have the ability to check for new software updates & versions, review fixes, enhancements, application notes and capabilities to update the infotainment system.

I can't see BMW allowing the ECU to be updated by customers, especially since we can't even get a service shop manual...

Third party ECU mapping software will most likely do well in this space ... i.e. Brentune

So I called my dealership today and had a talk with the service manager. I have an older version of the software, and when I took my bike in for the 600 mile break in service back in March, I asked him to update to the latest. He failed to do so, so I called him about it today to ask why not. He said it's not customary to update the software just for the sake of doing it, and that they usually recommend NOT updating it if you're not experiencing any problems or issues. What does everyone think about that philosophy? I had always just assumed that it was automatically a good thing to have the latest update. He said updating can CAUSE issues, and that once you update, you can't take it off and go back to an older version.

My dealer told me the same but they charge half an hour for the software update, so I opted not to do it. Honestly, I don't even use the extra features, so I don't really care to update unless there's a noticeable performance/safety improvement.

When I picked up my new '22 R18 TC last month I mentioned to my dealer that my bike doesn't have "the latest SW update", (My bike is currently running 012_008_040), they said their master mechanic hooked the bike up to the BMW system and said for my bike, that *is* the latest SW rev. So I do not know why they do not see that my bike can accept SW 013_013_020?

When I picked up my new '22 R18 TC last month I mentioned to my dealer that my bike doesn't have "the latest SW update", (My bike is currently running 012_008_040), they said their master mechanic hooked the bike up to the BMW system and said for my bike, that *is* the latest SW rev. So I do not know why they do not see that my bike can accept SW 013_013_020?
Yeah! Mine originally told me that I had the latest software (I have the same as you) and that no update was available.

I just had my bike serviced two weeks ago. The software was not updated. I called and asked and they said it was hooked up for any available updates.

I was told I could come back and they would try again, but I’m curious if BMW “pulled” the updates since you had a similar experience.

So I called my dealership today and had a talk with the service manager. I have an older version of the software, and when I took my bike in for the 600 mile break in service back in March, I asked him to update to the latest. He failed to do so, so I called him about it today to ask why not. He said it's not customary to update the software just for the sake of doing it, and that they usually recommend NOT updating it if you're not experiencing any problems or issues. What does everyone think about that philosophy? I had always just assumed that it was automatically a good thing to have the latest update. He said updating can CAUSE issues, and that once you update, you can't take it off and go back to an older version.
I think post #9 by VARG should be proof enough that your dealer did you dirty and quite frankly, outright lied about "causing issues", as BMW wouldn't publish DME updates to dealerships, knowing they would brick customer bikes! That's absolute B.S.!!!

Having updated BMW car software via INPA before (and the companion software, name escapes me right now), it doesn't take more than several minutes for the actual firmware flashing to occur, so the time your bike spends in their bay is MINUTES at best!

In my case, for Alcina, I'm waiting a year or two for the software to mature before I bring her in for a software update. We all are sort of "guinea pigs", having bought the first generations of the r18 and thus dealing with the growing pains of a fantastic breed that I certainly hope will last!

Mike

I'd bet the BMW motorcycle software distributed support network has less high availability than that for the cars, for various reasons.
It's probably not surprising we hear of varying results including periodic unavailability and slow transfer rates.

I'd bet the BMW motorcycle software distributed support network has less high availability than that for the cars, for various reasons.
It's probably not surprising we hear of varying results including periodic unavailability and slow transfer rates.
Are BMW service centers doing updates directly from the "cloud"? Or, do they download a local version to their service PC and flash the motorcycle from that copy?

I used to work in IT tech and, we made sure that a single server downloaded all the relevant Windows updates, etc., from the internet, and then the rest of the enterprise PC's got their updates from that local server. This saved a ton of time and internet bandwidth usage since only one PC was "phoning home".

It would strike me that BMW would follow a similar model: Have the dealerships download updates to their local servers, as they are promulgated. From there, the dealerships can then flash motorcycles using the latest and greatest copies they downloaded from BMW.

I think it would be unacceptable to hear of a for-profit service center to have excuses like "periodic unavailability and slow transfer rates". That's a great way to lose customers and $$$!

Mike

In any case, with increased frequency, complexity, and size of the updates... it's a great target for improvement. 🎯

Had first service performed 2 days ago on my 2023 B and software not updated, still 013_012_050. I notified them that the clutch isn’t performing properly as when the bike warms up (like stuck for 2 consecutive traffic lights) and the clutch doesn’t grab until the leaver is 95% released. I have a k1600 GTL and a Rnine T both with hydraulic clutches (though wet) and this has never happened. The tech took it for no more than a 1 mile ride after service so the bike didn’t warm up to experience this. The service manager said this is normal for a dry clutch. I say BS. I can barely get the bike up a parking garage grade when it is warm. Of course I don’t know how warm because they thought it was a good idea not to put an engine temperature on their largest engine which is air cooled with a tiny oil cooler. I work for a very large company and I chuckle to myself as this was probably a result of the Marketing and Design folks calling a meeting at 4:30 on a Friday when they knew the Engineers would be gone as they probably come in at 7:00 where this decision was made. I can’t imagine the Engineers think this is a good idea. Would love it if they ditched the power reserve and swapped in an engine temp, but digitally in the TFC would work as we know the sensor is there. All that said I do love the bike.

I recently had mine updated; it had been on the original version that shipped when I bought the bike last year. The service manager told me that it takes about 4 hours to do the upgrade, mainly because the data transfer speed for the TFT is so damn slow. Worse, when they did mine, the update crashed 1/2 way through the process, bricking the ECU. Since they were doing this on a Saturday and had to contact BMW in Germany for assistance, it had to stay until help was available during the week. They got everything reset and updated, but the experience shows that there can be some headaches with this process.

The latest version certainly solved a few annoyances with the TFT functionality, but it still doesn't remember the Treble & Bass settings.

Back