Transmission issue

Yikes! Hope it gets sorted quickly and painlessly for you. Thanks for posting and please keep us updated. Mine is out of warranty, I don't even want to guess what it would cost if my trans had this issue

Good to know on the 3 year warranty! I bought mine a year ago as a demo with a couple hundred miles on it and no I don't have anywhere near 36k. I did get a phone call a month ago that went to voice-mail and my dealer said my warranty was almost up, and if I wanted to extend it. I guess I should give them a call

Good to know on the 3 year warranty! I bought mine a year ago as a demo with a couple hundred miles on it and no I don't have anywhere near 36k. I did get a phone call a month ago that went to voice-mail and my dealer said my warranty was almost up, and if I wanted to extend it. I guess I should give them a call
BMW offered OEM extended warranties in Europe for years and finally started to in the U.S. just last year. If your's is running out soon it must have been a very early delivery that was made a demo for the shop, but in any event the prices I saw in their original press release on a few examples were extremely reasonable so if similar for the R18 I would go for it.

BMW offered OEM extended warranties in Europe for years and finally started to in the U.S. just last year. If your's is running out soon it must have been a very early delivery that was made a demo for the shop, but in any event the prices I saw in their original press release on a few examples were extremely reasonable so if similar for the R18 I would go for it.
Good to know! Thanks👍🏻

Fast forward to 10:00 minutes if you don't care to watch all of the video.This will give folks a idea on how strong the stock transmissions are on this R18.

They used the stock drivetrain, added NOS and tuned this beast.Funny,traction seems to be the biggest issue.Also,check out how the rear wheel moves sideways when he revs it just sitting there.

Fast forward to 10:00 minutes if you don't care to watch all of the video.This will give folks a idea on how strong the stock transmissions are on this R18.

They used the stock drivetrain, added NOS and tuned this beast.Funny,traction seems to be the biggest issue.Also,check out how the rear wheel moves sideways when he revs it just sitting there.
Saw this bike last weekend. Biggest surprise was that it still had an exhaust sensor. I guess they have evolved from enviro police sensors to great tuning devices.

Saw this bike last weekend. Biggest surprise was that it still had an exhaust sensor. I guess they have evolved from enviro police sensors to great tuning devices.
Oh yeah.The wide band sensors are the bomb if you have an EFI engine.RSD probably has access thru BMW on how to tune the R18.

Freakin thing sounds mean as hell.Can't get over how the rear end/tire torques when reving.

I hope the drivetrain/tranny in the R18 is as stout as the one on the R1200C from 1998. In 14 years I never needed a trip to the dealer "fix-it" department. Changed own oils of course, adjusted the valves, replaced fuel filter and pump, clutch slave cylinder, but that was about it.

Well it's been a month and I got a call saying they are replacing the transmission, hopefully have it back next week. Three teeth broke off of 5th gear and we'll it turned into a garbage disposal. I was really dreading switching to Harley but it would beat walking. I NEED to ride its like my emotional support animal. One thing I'm bummed about HD gives loaners for things like this. I figured bmw would too; no such luck.

Your situation is quite unusual. BMW stuff is generally quite sturdy.
HD makes great bikes but yikes their prices are through the roof.
I understand how riding is an emotional support activity. Glad you were patient.

I've seen this before lmao!
Yeah,this video has been used in other formats.
Sorry about hikacking the thread but a little humor goes a long way.
Hopefully the few issues seen with the R18 remain the fee.The thing BMW needs to do is step up & take care of folks.Because we do have other options if they don't.

20220629_081947.jpg
I picked the bike up Tuesday took the back road home good ride no problem.
Wednesday took the high way to work... well I didn't make it lost the final drive in the fast lane. Luckily it didn't lock up, until we put it on the tow truck.
Dealer offered my money back or another bike. Thinking it over

Grateful you stopped safely, certainly an unsettling situation with your 21 TC. Nice the dealer offered replacement, and with a '22 TC I'd expect. My 22 TC is behaving extremely well, at 6400 miles now, and I'd feel confident your experience is a very isolated incident.

Last edited:
Back