Trust my Instincts?

To make a long story shorter I traded my GS and Rocket 3 for a new RT. The dealer had an R-18 on the floor with the bobber kit done and as beautiful as the RT is with the mineral white paint I kept looking at the R-18. Well I bought the RT. 700 miles in I am not too impressed. The new TFT screen with app for navigation is slow and glitchy The bike is fast but not special and although it weighs less than my Grand America the GA is more fun to ride. So I'm thinking I'm about to trade for the R-18and take my losses in stride. Questions, any tall riders with R-18's I'm 6'3. I see Wunderlich has some lowered pegs , guess they would help. Is the R-18 FUN to ride. I've test ridden twice. Once in the rain which wasn't great Once dry which was fun I know it won't have the power of the Rocket 3 I had but sit definitely has torque. I love those two giant cylinders sticking out and the idea that not everyone , heck not many people at all have one is appealing to me. I don't want the same bike as everyone. Anyone out there riding with the beer kit done? Does it change the ride ? Thanks for any input and why didn't I write this before I bought the RT haha

I am 5'8" and find that the R18TC fits me just right. I didn't like the floorboards being so far back so I made longer ones and now the R18TC is a dream machine. If you are 6'3" you might want the taller seat that is available for the R18.
The big boxer is definitely unique and I think you will like it although not as much as that adorable dog whose chin is on your shoulder.

To make a long story shorter I traded my GS and Rocket 3 for a new RT. The dealer had an R-18 on the floor with the bobber kit done and as beautiful as the RT is with the mineral white paint I kept looking at the R-18. Well I bought the RT. 700 miles in I am not too impressed. The new TFT screen with app for navigation is slow and glitchy The bike is fast but not special and although it weighs less than my Grand America the GA is more fun to ride. So I'm thinking I'm about to trade for the R-18and take my losses in stride. Questions, any tall riders with R-18's I'm 6'3. I see Wunderlich has some lowered pegs , guess they would help. Is the R-18 FUN to ride. I've test ridden twice. Once in the rain which wasn't great Once dry which was fun I know it won't have the power of the Rocket 3 I had but sit definitely has torque. I love those two giant cylinders sticking out and the idea that not everyone , heck not many people at all have one is appealing to me. I don't want the same bike as everyone. Anyone out there riding with the beer kit done? Does it change the ride ? Thanks for any input and why didn't I write this before I bought the RT haha
Welcome! You have some great motorcycles that many of us have put a bunch of miles on and the the R18 made us want to take her home too. The RT and GS are such refined models and in some aspects they almost seem "boring" when compared to the more visceral offerings like a R iii or the R 18. I hate to see you take such a bad hit, but if you are going to do a trade they will only have less value moving forward. I would say the R18 had a very rocky start as to early sales with several things that hampered them from pricing, lack of accessories and certainly Covid19 restrictions preventing any normal interaction at many shops.

All that said, the R18 has enjoyed much new interest and the above hurdles have been crossed so now is a very good time to get one at a very fair price. Also, keep in mind the RT and GS hold their value very well and the dealers near me rarely have used ones on the floor for more than a few days so that's a Bonus for you as they are still waiting on new inventory in a big way. You should be treated very well as to what you have to trade v. the R18 with BMW providing huge support to dealers to compensate for the original release disappointments.

There are members that have gone the mods/kits you are interested in and hopefully they will comment or certainly a forum search will provide some good background reading for you.

Good luck!

Darn, now I need to research what a ’beer kit’ is :)
Some random thoughts from a 05 r1200rt owner. Could be off the mark, and it won’t matter probably in addressing your question though I have felt it was not until the r1250 opposed twin came out that bmw had an engine that felt like my old 05 does (too me that is a good thing the 1250 shift cam (if I said that right) came out.

So far as jumping horses goes…why did you get rid of the GS since you already have a GA? Was the RT meant to scratch and itch that neither of those bikes attended to? If so is the RT doing that and if so to what degree? The RT is Sublime in the way it’s able to deliver power, rain protection all in a quasi light weight package for a sport touring/touring motorcycle.

TFT screen…lord does any bike maker do it right yet? Maybe Harley or that Yamaha big v-twin air cooled touring bike…I cannot say. I do know what bmw came up with is not perfect nor great per say. No apple car play or android auto. It is what it is, just like I am guessing having to drill down into menus for heated grips and seat setting…maybe either/both could be added as a short cut to one/two of those buttons on the left side fairing (thought I had read).

R18…hum. For me it is a question of $ and am now retired with less of it lol. It is a looker for certain, but honestly other then ‘no one/few have one’ what itch is it meant to scratch (if uncertain refer to 2nd paragraph about :) and determine that).

R18 details…I don’t own so could be WAY wrong. Big jugs/1800cc yes cool, space for feet below and above (they now have a fix for that) maybe not so cool. On subject of ‘cool’ will the bike overheat if stuck in traffic and it is 95 degrees out (I cannot say…some post yes, many have posted no issue).
Length and weight…your a fair sized guy so figure R18 weight is not an issue. If it is not then maybe the R18B or R18TC (both more weight).

Else be way cool and do a R18C. Realize the base R18/R18C have only 3.5” rear suspension travel (maybe sort of like a hd softail). Btw a youtube review comparing that harley and R18C was a tie :) Though the C model comes with smaller front tire (better over bumps but maybe not as direct steering feel vs base R18).
R18B/TC will provide a happier rear end feeling (meaning your ass) over had bumps due to 4.7” suspension.

I feel the R18 is a heavy weight and not user friendly at low speed turns nor take off from a dead start (well less so). I would get all options if doing a R18/R18C…heated grips, cruise, headlight that turns into curves, the larger bmw seat (not base stock seat). R18B/TC comes with those goodies plus option for adaptive cruise control (if you do R18B/TC get it as I have read it works good…just not at detecting a motorcycle per say beside you or coming up from behind (if I recall).

Happy riding for only 100/150 miles then stopping…good the R18/R18C is for you if you like the basic look else R18B/TC If you want a larger tank. Want a color that stands out…get that multi-color option 719 and be unique..until you see another bmw with that color lol.

You may already know all these stuff so apology for the long message. Likewise owners of the R18 models can guide you from ‘butt on seat’ prepsectivec. I have only done a few test rides.
Does not sound the $ is an issue for you though for 2021 and 2022 models you get $2/$3k discounts plus thinking .09% rate.

I would love, maybe, that white RT color, well maybe it is an option 719 white (guessing/hoping a white Pearl color color of some sort).

Last, understand your needs/wants AND what they are truly if you are thinking of trading for a R18 having just gotten the RT. We all want the pretty girl (R18 any trim) but in life it is the woman that makes our life complete that will make us happier.

Depending on where you live that RT (aka cooler climate/mountains, great riding roads) is indeed an OUTSTANDING motorcycle and I would not dismiss it out of hand if owned for only a short while. I would guess you might not ever say the RT weighs too much, does not have enough power, don’t like the power band, don’t like the wind protection, storage space. Yes TFT is not great but one could live with it or add a Garmin gps to the handle bars.

p.s. Understand the R18 has a ‘happy’ rpm band range. I would not call it a ‘short shifter bike (aka honda nc700x) though the 18 is happier (aka smooth as glass) if keep in that band. No worries if running the engine above say 4,700rpm mind you, it is just the big jugs will start to dance weather you want them to or not :)
Last, if getting black R18/R18C make sure you get the white pen strip…she an’t a true old school bmw unless it has that on it.

Ride safe

Last edited:
Darn, now I need to research what a ’beer kit’ is :)
Some random thoughts from a 05 r1200rt owner. Could be off the mark, and it won’t matter probably in addressing your question though I have felt it was not until the r1250 opposed twin came out that bmw had an engine that felt like my old 05 does (too me that is a good thing the 1250 shift cam (if I said that right) came out.

So far as jumping horses goes…why did you get rid of the GS since you already have a GA? Was the RT meant to scratch and itch that neither of those bikes attended to? If so is the RT doing that and if so to what degree? The RT is Sublime in the way it’s able to deliver power, rain protection all in a quasi light weight package for a sport touring/touring motorcycle.

TFT screen…lord does any bike maker do it right yet? Maybe Harley or that Yamaha big v-twin air cooled touring bike…I cannot say. I do know what bmw came up with is not perfect nor great per say. No apple car play or android auto. It is what it is, just like I am guessing having to drill down into menus for heated grips and seat setting…maybe either/both could be added as a short cut to one/two of those buttons on the left side fairing (thought I had read).

R18…hum. For me it is a question of $ and am now retired with less of it lol. It is a looker for certain, but honestly other then ‘no one/few have one’ what itch is it meant to scratch (if uncertain refer to 2nd paragraph about :) and determine that).

R18 details…I don’t own so could be WAY wrong. Big jugs/1800cc yes cool, space for feet below and above (they now have a fix for that) maybe not so cool. On subject of ‘cool’ will the bike overheat if stuck in traffic and it is 95 degrees out (I cannot say…some post yes, many have posted no issue).
Length and weight…your a fair sized guy so figure R18 weight is not an issue. If it is not then maybe the R18B or R18TC (both more weight).

Else be way cool and do a R18C. Realize the base R18/R18C have only 3.5” rear suspension travel (maybe sort of like a hd softail). Btw a youtube review comparing that harley and R18C was a tie :) Though the C model comes with smaller front tire (better over bumps but maybe not as direct steering feel vs base R18).
R18B/TC will provide a happier rear end feeling (meaning your ass) over had bumps due to 4.7” suspension.

I feel the R18 is a heavy weight and not user friendly at low speed turns nor take off from a dead start (well less so). I would get all options if doing a R18/R18C…heated grips, cruise, headlight that turns into curves, the larger bmw seat (not base stock seat). R18B/TC comes with those goodies plus option for adaptive cruise control (if you do R18B/TC get it as I have read it works good…just not at detecting a motorcycle per say beside you or coming up from behind (if I recall).

Happy riding for only 100/150 miles then stopping…good the R18/R18C is for you if you like the basic look else R18B/TC If you want a larger tank. Want a color that stands out…get that multi-color option 719 and be unique..until you see another bmw with that color lol.

You may already know all these stuff so apology for the long message. Likewise owners of the R18 models can guide you from ‘butt on seat’ prepsectivec. I have only done a few test rides.
Does not sound the $ is an issue for you though for 2021 and 2022 models you get $2/$3k discounts plus thinking .09% rate.

I would love, maybe, that white RT color, well maybe it is an option 719 white (guessing/hoping a white Pearl color color of some sort).

Last, understand your needs/wants AND what they are truly if you are thinking of trading for a R18 having just gotten the RT. We all want the pretty girl (R18 any trim) but in life it is the woman that makes our life complete that will make us happier.

Depending on where you live that RT (aka cooler climate/mountains, great riding roads) is indeed an OUTSTANDING motorcycle and I would not dismiss it out of hand if owned for only a short while. I would guess you might not ever say the RT weighs too much, does not have enough power, don’t like the power band, don’t like the wind protection, storage space. Yes TFT is not great but one could live with it or add a Garmin gps to the handle bars.

p.s. Understand the R18 has a ‘happy’ rpm band range. I would not call it a ‘short shifter bike (aka honda nc700x) though the 18 is happier (aka smooth as glass) if keep in that band. No worries if running the engine above say 4,700rpm mind you, it is just the big jugs will start to dance weather you want them to or not :)
Last, if getting black R18/R18C make sure you get the white pen strip…she an’t a true old school bmw unless it has that on it.

Ride safe
I meant Bobber Kit Siri said Beer kit She never listens to me. Thanks for your response The GS to RT switch was prompted by A- I never go off road and B- I get bored and like to try different bikes There's nothing like the GS they're excellent. The RT is more refined but now owning one I'd say I liked the GS a bit more The GS Adventure has a presence about it and I describe the handling as an elephant that can dance Ballet. As for the TFT It definitely wasn't ready to be released BMW has CarPlay in their cars and it works fine, I have one. Waiting for the bike app to connect then waiting to see if wifi connects so you'll have a maps inexcusable. 5 minutes may not sound like much but waiting 5 minutes every time i start my bike to serif the features I paid for will work is ridiculous. I'd see the R-18 as more a fun bike than day to day. I live in LA so yes my feet may get hot in summer behind those cylinders but anything gets hot here in summertime. The weight is no issue I can handle big bikes. $ is always an issue but right now with the R-18 discounts the savings could offset the sale of the RT I'm waiting too see what my dealer says They like me over there I'm too good a customer

Last edited:
Am 6’2” and after fitting my Corbin seat - asked for 1” back and 1” up - it fits me fine. Be sure and adjust the rear shock too. I love this bike. Am really put out with the mother ship tho’. You can find all that ugly stuff elsewhere in this forum, just understand the problems are not with the bike. All said, out of several cruisers over many years, this one is special. Is a keeper.

The R18 is the most beautiful motorcycle BMW is making today unless you're a sport bike person then the S1000RR is likely the winner. Your RT is a refined, yet less capable (less storage, less farkles, less fuel range, less seat height) version of BMW's GS Adventure. The RT is first and foremost a sport touring bike and emphasis on the sport first and touring second. If you want the most leg-stretching, range and storage, the GS Adventure is better.

The R18 is and can be a touring bike but it's going to be slower than the RT, less fun in twisties and about 300 pounds heavier and a lower red line. It's a criers, not a sport tourer. If you don't want the wind protection, speed, nimbleness of your RT then you'll love the R18.

As a person who has a GS Adventure boxer, an F750GS and an R18. the R18 would be the first bike I sell if I had to get rid of one bike. It is fun, beautiful and brings me joy but I'd pick the GS bikes (or RT) over it. that's just my opinion. I'd take an extended (like 1 hour) ride on a demo one at a dealer if they'll let you. Do interstate, twisties, balance at a stop sign / stop light and really feel it out and make sure it's for you. The RT is supposedly an old man bike but I think it's more fun.

---

I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam. I bought a Bagger over the Classic/Pure because the bagger frame is different. I feel I can spread out more. I did 650 miles in 2 days on the bagger and just wanted more seat cushion but ergonomically, I'm very happy with it.

The R18 is the most beautiful motorcycle BMW is making today unless you're a sport bike person then the S1000RR is likely the winner. Your RT is a refined, yet less capable (less storage, less farkles, less fuel range, less seat height) version of BMW's GS Adventure. The RT is first and foremost a sport touring bike and emphasis on the sport first and touring second. If you want the most leg-stretching, range and storage, the GS Adventure is better.

The R18 is and can be a touring bike but it's going to be slower than the RT, less fun in twisties and about 300 pounds heavier and a lower red line. It's a criers, not a sport tourer. If you don't want the wind protection, speed, nimbleness of your RT then you'll love the R18.

As a person who has a GS Adventure boxer, an F750GS and an R18. the R18 would be the first bike I sell if I had to get rid of one bike. It is fun, beautiful and brings me joy but I'd pick the GS bikes (or RT) over it. that's just my opinion. I'd take an extended (like 1 hour) ride on a demo one at a dealer if they'll let you. Do interstate, twisties, balance at a stop sign / stop light and really feel it out and make sure it's for you. The RT is supposedly an old man bike but I think it's more fun.

---

I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam. I bought a Bagger over the Classic/Pure because the bagger frame is different. I feel I can spread out more. I did 650 miles in 2 days on the bagger and just wanted more seat cushion but ergonomically, I'm very happy with it.
I appreciate what you're saying and I get why people love the RT but it misses with me. The GS is fantastic no doubt about that Probably the best all around bike made. The new RT electronics are a constant frustration My Grand America fulfills the touring and comfort needs and the Megamoto is my sport bike A cruiser works for me

I’m 6’4” & ride a Classic. For me the stock seat did need replacement, not so much due to the height, but rather it was so narrow, that it was uncomfortable after 45 minutes. I swapped to a Weekender & that has been great. Just did a 300 mile day ride to western Massachusetts last weekend and it was perfect. The Classic has the floorboards which give a few more positions for your feet than a peg. Also easy to throw your legs on top of the cylinders for a stretch for a few minutes. You can add the crash bars and proper foot rests on those too if you prefer longer stretches.

It doesn’t have the torque of the Rocket 3, which is what I had also considered but in my opinion the R18 looks much better than the R3. And the sound of the R18 rolling on between 2500-3500 makes me laugh out loud. I also thought of the Triumph Bobber which I think they did a great job on, but the R18 overall just hit more checkboxes for me.

I’m 6’4” & ride a Classic. For me the stock seat did need replacement, not so much due to the height, but rather it was so narrow, that it was uncomfortable after 45 minutes. I swapped to a Weekender & that has been great. Just did a 300 mile day ride to western Massachusetts last weekend and it was perfect. The Classic has the floorboards which give a few more positions for your feet than a peg. Also easy to throw your legs on top of the cylinders for a stretch for a few minutes. You can add the crash bars and proper foot rests on those too if you prefer longer stretches.

It doesn’t have the torque of the Rocket 3, which is what I had also considered but in my opinion the R18 looks much better than the R3. And the sound of the R18 rolling on between 2500-3500 makes me laugh out loud. I also thought of the Triumph Bobber which I think they did a great job on, but the R18 overall just hit more checkboxes for me.
Thanks This is great info Yeah the Rocket is a torque monster It was a fun ride but I like to change up I'm going to get an extended test ride on the R-18 That will help The Triumph Bobber looks great but she's a bit small Thats why i like the idea of an R-18 Bobber

Well it looks like I'm going take the plunge and get a R18 Bobber tomorrow The dealer built it beautifully It rides simple like a motorcycle Low tech cruiser I like that. Ive read many complaints about the R18 but I think people were looking fora fast power cruiser which I dont think it is This will be a Saturday night Sunday afternoon bike It is fun to ride and I like the vibration Think I'll trust myself The RT was boring I get it and its great button my thing I wont miss it

Attachments

• R18 Bagger Blue LEft.jpg
    R18 Bagger Blue LEft.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Time for bed for me...that blue is beyond beautiful. Have not gone back and read the prior post recently. Is this blue bike a base R18, not a Classic? If so and you like after a long test ride great. Would think that old school bmw seat (have one on my /2 that needs restored...again) will help over hard bumps in the road. Darn, that blue and black layout was done just right.

Well it looks like I'm going take the plunge and get a R18 Bobber tomorrow The dealer built it beautifully It rides simple like a motorcycle Low tech cruiser I like that. Ive read many complaints about the R18 but I think people were looking fora fast power cruiser which I dont think it is This will be a Saturday night Sunday afternoon bike It is fun to ride and I like the vibration Think I'll trust myself The RT was boring I get it and its great button my thing I wont miss it
More pictures please!!!

If it is the base R18 model the rear suspension has 3.5” of travel vs the R18B and TC models…thinking they have 4.7” due to a different frame design. Yes, more photos please.

I am 5'8" and find that the R18TC fits me just right. I didn't like the floorboards being so far back so I made longer ones and now the R18TC is a dream machine. If you are 6'3" you might want the taller seat that is available for the R18.
The big boxer is definitely unique and I think you will like it although not as much as that adorable dog whose chin is on your shoulder.
Did you modify OEM floor boards or did you modify aftermarket driver's floor boards? If aftermarket, which ones? Thx

I don’t like the idea of modifying originals, so I bought a 4” by 10” steel plate 1/8 inch thick. Using a band saw I tapered both rear corners and the front inside corner.
Then came the harder part. Using 1/4 inch thick steel plate, I used a band saw to make two brackets that attach to the bike and are welded to the big steel plate above.
Finally I placed a thick pad of firm rubber on top but floated it on rubber washers to absorb vibration.
NOTE: the left side board is 1/2 inch shorter due to the conflicting action of the kick stand.

Back