Undercarriage protection

Hello; I am a new member from Monroe, Oregon. I just completed a mod to my new R18 by adding a sheet of .050 Titanium to the undercarriage . The plate is attached to the bike by slipping the aluminum blocks over the exhaust hangers and then screwing in 2 stainless steel M10 1.50 button head bolts into 2 male/female standoffs that screw into the threaded holes at the front of the sump cover. This allows for easy removal for oil changes although a hole allows for drain plug removal without plate removal so I can drain the oil hot then remove the plate for filter change at my leisure.
The standoffs were sourced from ebay and are actually automotive gearshift knob adapters that I shortened t.o maximize ground clearance . They were also hollowed out so that if I hit something they will shear before damaging the sump cover. The aluminum spacers just provide more secure mounting surfaces. I took the beast out today and all is good. I will acquire a new milling machine and hydraulic press to better finish the materials. They will replace the machinery that I lost during the wildfires last Labor Day (along with my house, shops, barn and 6 motorcycles).
Gregskid2.jpgskid.jpg

Back