Weekender seat is a no go…

motoring

Darn, 65 mile ride and it felt ok. A 120 mile ride and it is a no go sadly. Don’t know if the backrest is playing a part though I feel I am seating too close to end of the gas tank (my legs are very close to the back of the tank). I thought somewhere on the site there was a post that showed how deep each seat was front to back but cannot locate right now. I will see if the dealer will let me send it back for the Cross County (even though it is a one piece seat) provided offers more seating area front to back. That plus, due to the design of the R18 am finding I sit lower then I would like and my knees a bit higher then desired. Got a leg cramp now and again in my left leg while riding though do have the bmw Leg Rest to aid in that area.

Insights on the Cross County appreicated. Since I already paid for the seat upgrade think best I could do is change it out if dealer allows me to. Other option would be the bmw solo seat (forget the name right now) since Corbin is not an opti on…would be stuck with my Weekender seat and back rest if I cannot change it out with dealer.
5’9” tall, 30” inseam
ty

Last edited:
Have you tried without the backrest? I can’t see a dealer taking your seat back but maybe it’s different in the US.
I also can’t see that the Cross Country seat will solve your issue either, you’ll be pushed even closer to the tank I think even if it does sit you marginally higher.
Time for the Bagger 👍🏻😂

A sales guy at my local bmw shop switched to the Cross County seat on his Classic and was there for demo day…well the free pretzels. Did not know there were so many ways to offer them (even as mini pretzel dogs (y)). Though it wasn’t until after that when doing the 60 mile ride back, 120 miles total that day, that I realized issues with the seat.

Temp was around 84 later in the day :mad:, was hot and working on varying the rpm range as I road since still in break-in period thus no free pass with cruise control use yet. And a bit of smooth air flow issues at top of helmet due to problems with the MadStad screen (seeing them tomorrow to see if they can/will address that concern without additional cost). I like their setup but presently it does not offer the full range of adjustment as designed due to top screen hitting the lowers unless I tilt it back more then desired.

Was looking at the manual and is not a lot of help for break-in, at least to me. On page 65 is says max 4000 min-1. Am I to infer that means max of 4,000 rpm during break-in period? Here I have been trying to limit it to 3,000/3,100 rpm and now have about 200 miles under the belt on her.

At any rate to recap my thoughts on the seat -
  • Like the looks of it, not to small and not so large one cannot still see much of the rear fender side pin striping. It occurred to me during the ride that I need to buy the wunderlich tank pads. I think to help protect the tank painted pin striping by my knees and though not a perfect look does remind me of my 71 /5 rubber knee tank pads (…the good old days…) :)
  • Guess for short rides it is ok and offers support. Maybe it Is the 200 miles rides when you start to feel it not offering as much padding support desired.
  • Do like the backrest though maybe not good to have it when going over bumps (sometimes those road transitions from one section of highway to another are not that smooth). There is just a drop more I can unscrew the backrest screw to ensure it is as far back as it can go so can try that step plus remove it to see if there is a difference.
  • I have found my knees are higher than I would like on this seat, lord don’t know how anyone with 30” inseam could deal with the stock seat.
    Don’t want to spend the $ thought might consider this purchase to help on that issue.
    https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R18_Footpegs_Lowered
  • Yes, figure other brands of seat could be or are better than the line of seats bmw sales. Should have given that some thought before getting this one.
So to sum, up…it was my longest ride on the bike and it was hot out. The shock nut is set to 10 turns and I am about 220lb presently. That helped a lot vs the shipping mode it was at to begin with.

Need to goggle how shocks work as sadly as it is to write that…just never had been a thing I gave thought to nor played with much or after market shocks. One figures changing it from 10 turns to 15 or 20 would, I am guessing…hell too be honest I simply don’t know…google this is in my future sometime today.

I am still loving the look of my R18FE, she is heavy enough as is so not looking to change to a heavier dance partner like the bragger nor TC. Though never say never maybe lol.

Will check the weight of my 19 goldwing tour dct vs a Bagger or TC maybe. Still even if close I feel there is more value in the goldwing engine then the R18 boxer motor…hate if you wish I am just in the ‘water cooled’ camp on that point. Though must admit thus far the R18 engine has not boiled me with heat nor displayed an over heated message. Then again it has only been 200 miles ridden thus far :)

Plus, I like the idea of a cruiser bike with, in this case the boxer engine. Even though I have plastered the front of a with a Barn door windshield and shield lowers :poop:. As Popeye says, I am what I am, and what I am is a guy that likes function over looks. Thus the MadStad windscreen. Though in this case the R18FE just happens to have a ‘to die for’ look in my book.

I will measure the guys Cross County Tuesday to see distance from front of seat to beginning of the seat hump (aka mini-backrest) to see if it is longer than my Weekender. If it is not longer then it seems to me both seats are short in length and push the rider closer to the back of the tank then one might want and if that is the case then neither will address the knees too high issue nor possible leg cramp due to that leg/knee alignment. Thus maybe the lower Wunderlich floor boards might slightly help on that front.

Yes, sitting higher on a cruiser might not be a perfect solution though don’t want to deal with leg cramping when riding. Oh the joys of fine tuning a new ride. Remind me again, what brand/model bike do we by that is perfect and needs not tweaking after purchase?

Ride them if you got them and ride safe all

Last edited:
I have Corbin Solo seat which i find amazing for long'ish (~100-200 miles) rides. BUT it's extremely uncomfortable with the backrest installed. The backrest is pushing me front at least an inch or so. At 6'4" it's very noticeable...

Last edited:
Back