What did you do to your R18 today?

Well posting this I may have to eat some crow ... I was running my mouth how doable the stock seat on the FE is ... well now I have to admit that is only partially true ... my round trip to work is between 30 and 40 miles (depending on which route I take) .. but I have done some 200 mile trips since I work short weeks in the Summer and I have o admit ... I must not be the 'Hard A$$' that I once was ... so withthe ehlp of the good folks from Corbin I got a new sofa 😁 ... a 'Option 719' inspired seat

View attachment 11014

View attachment 11015

View attachment 11016

View attachment 11017

... and I have to say ... huge difference .. I sit just a bit higher up which is nice on my knees and even though it is still quite stiff,
already way more comfortable than the stock.
So here it is .. I was wrong :LOL:
From order date to delivery date, how long did Corbin need to get you your seat? I have the bmw mustang cross country seat on the way, but I'm trying it before I buy it ...thanks for the info!!

From order date to delivery date, how long did Corbin need to get you your seat? I have the bmw mustang cross country seat on the way, but I'm trying it before I buy it ...thanks for the info!!
6 Days .. ordered it on a Friday had it by Thursday evening ... but live in Oregon which is a straight shot up I5 from there shop :D so shipping is 2 days.

Went out for a 5+ hr. ride with buddies in Upstate NY and ran into Paul Teutul; in hindsight, I should have asked for a picture on my R18 B...

Screenshot_20230730-190352.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed Wunderlich Passenger Backrest aka sissybar.
Wife approved.
Thanks to @stamfeli for providing me with a rear view shot. That convinced me.
As a matter of fact, I find it quite convenient that this install opens the gap between the bags and the frame as it will make cleaning easier and also allows to peek and admire the rear hub design. Curiously, it's obvious BMW thought about this as the bags lower bracket support are flippable to allow a bit more separation from the frame therefore keeping the vertical alignment correct once the sissybar is installed. Pretty clever.

DSCF0613.jpeg

DSCF0617.jpeg

I am looking at a long term handle bar change.... before doing so I want to try various positions for a few weeks before committing.... so I have bought two sets of riser extenders from china.... basically a 1" and 2" ... the 2s arrived today....

20230808_124130.jpg

Pretty ok quality for $50 or so... did a 40km ride... nice upright position... fwiw... if I was to live with these I'd need to extend the brake and clutch line.... as the raised way this kit works looks cheap/awfull... maybe screen on clasic would hide it a bit. Seemed ro be a lot more vibes in the bars... so that might be an issue... time will tell.... these are aluminium... DK designs are stainless steel... I saw some china stainless ones for about twice the price of these... but didn't intend on using them long term so cheaped out.

Will need to go for a fast windy road ride to see if a bit more foward lean compromise might be more suitable.

I also wonder why the risers have the two screws in them? Is it someones idea of design?

If anyone knows of handle bars ( or risers ) that would give a similar hand position/pull back then I would be interested.

Last edited:
Nothing too exciting; I took my R18 B out to Montauk, NY to meet up with friends for fishing since performing the transmission/rear-wheel drive fluid change, as well as the engine oil & oil filter service.

I'm planning on dropping off the bike for the annual 6K service August 4th; valve adjustment and brake fluid ONLY and curious as to what this service will cost minus the above mentioned items.

Also, I went to lift my R18 with the Kern-Stabi X518 this morning to clean my bike; I noticed that the engine mount coupling PIN was missing. I was already planning on purchasing an extra one to replace the makeshift pin/Allen bolt for the left side engine mount - so now I'll be ordering two of them..

More to follow:

View attachment 10959
Hey Scott,

I remove the Kern-Stabi mounting pin after every use just for that reason, I am afraid it would come loose and drop on the road.

Hey Scott,

I remove the Kern-Stabi mounting pin after every use just for that reason, I am afraid it would come loose and drop on the road.
I think I remember hearing it drop out and pinging off the bike... I installed two new X518PIN and used blue loctite .. I'll keep an eye on it..

Back