What did you do to your R18 today?

View attachment 11959View attachment 11960View attachment 11961View attachment 11962

So I installed hellwig bars today. Not real hard but just tedious. Not sure it was worth the money or time until I sat on the bike when I was done. Night and DAY better comfort. I’m 5’10 185lbs for reference. Sitting position comfort is much better. Reach comfort is much better. I will say I have shorter arms. I have to run tall bars on all my mx bikes.
Is that the BMW 719 stock seat?

Any pictures of that exhaust with the side cases installed; what's the exhaust manufacturer..?

Yes it is. I like it much better than the one that comes stock on the bike. I do have a few pictures, I posted them in this thread a long time ago. Let me find them when I get home from work and ill repost them. It's a 'rough crafts' exhaust. It's not made for the B/TC. It's made for the normal R18's. It's a full system. Headers and muffler. Sounds great but you have to roll the heads upward in a pipe bender to give them an angle or they will scrap while leaning.

Took mine to get a PA inspection and the new tires installed. I was looking for whitewall tires but I kept on running into little bs availability issues. Tires are on threads now so i didnt want to go far. Didnt want to ship the bike or remove the wheels myself. A popular and decent sized local shop that works on bikes and cars quoted 700 for the tires and inspection and could only schedule two weeks out....almost 900 with whitewalls.

Decided to wait until next round of tires goes on to do the whitewalls. Ordered a set of Shinko SR999s for $345 delivered...also discovered a local dude with a tiny bike shop 2 mins from my home. Just dropped the bike off. It should be done tomorrow.

When I dropped it off, the mechanic said "Damn that's a big engine on that thing."

I'll keep you guys posted on the shinko SR999 tires. I'm hoping I can get more than 4000 miles out of these ones with a bit of wrist discipline.

Added some bling to Uschi ... I took a chance and ordered some bits from China (AliExpress) the price was very low and I thought I take a chance. There was a bit of a mix-up, most likely because the site is translated into English ... it said it was a set of covers .. I think what it meant to say is that there are 3 matching covers ... but you have to order them separately ... no big deal .. a very nice fellow named Fujun (from KR Motor) helped me out and we got it squared away ... anyway, I have no dog in this fight, but if you are looking for a reasonable alternative this maybe something for you, R18 First Edition Covers ( I hope the link works)
If you are unsure .. just contact the seller (KR Motor) ... they will reply rather quickly.
The casting is pretty good and the original screws will fit fine ... but you do have to re-use the original gasket.

View attachment 11580View attachment 11581

View attachment 11583

View attachment 11584

View attachment 11585

I am still need to get the one for the rear brake ... but I wanted to make sure first ... it is on order ;)
Mr Ulrich, I was looking at your post and noticed the solo seat on your bike. Is that the Corbin Solo Seat? I’ve used Corbin on my Harley Deuce and loved it. I like the solo seat concept and pylon when needed. Does it look out of proportion with 15.5’ width? It is significantly wider the stock R18 solo seat that I have. Thank you

Mr Ulrich, I was looking at your post and noticed the solo seat on your bike. Is that the Corbin Solo Seat? I’ve used Corbin on my Harley Deuce and loved it. I like the solo seat concept and pylon when needed. Does it look out of proportion with 15.5’ width? It is significantly wider the stock R18 solo seat that I have. Thank you
Hi 33Cruzr IMO it looks right on my bike with the saddlebags and such .. I have seen it on bikes without and there I think it looks a bit 'wide' ... but that is just my opinion ...
corbin719.jpg

Got the bike back from the shop yesterday evening.

I can not emphasize this enough....the front end of my bike is completely different because of this tire change to Shinko SR999s. I understand my front tire was at the end of its life, but I didn't expect this much of a difference. The "feel" of road and its interactions with the tire just communicated better. Like I had a better understanding of what the tire was doing when I made any movements. Made the old Battlecruise feel like a numb mess with little grip. The compound feels soft to finger touch so here's hoping they last more than 4000mi.

Attachments

• 20231012_162334.jpg
    20231012_162334.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20231012_162344.jpg
    20231012_162344.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
Hi 33Cruzr IMO it looks right on my bike with the saddlebags and such .. I have seen it on bikes without and there I think it looks a bit 'wide' ... but that is just my opinion ...
View attachment 11977
Thank you sir for your reply. One more question and a request. Does the base of the seat that mounts to frame follow the contour of the frame? If you would, please take a top view photo of the seat. I don’t use side bags. Thank you so much!

Thank you sir for your reply. One more question and a request. Does the base of the seat that mounts to frame follow the contour of the frame? If you would, please take a top view photo of the seat. I don’t use side bags. Thank you so much!
I can run over to my bike in my lunch break and snap a couple pics ... stay tuned :)

I can run over to my bike in my lunch break and snap a couple pics ... stay tuned :)
That is a cool ape hanger on your bike!! I installed the BMW 6.5” mini plus the WildOne 1” extension with intent of keeping my hands below my bum right shoulder.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2622.jpeg
    IMG_2622.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
Added a little easy access storage.

Attachments

• C7FDCE95-7CC2-46A3-A4FD-C2166D973EEA.jpeg
    C7FDCE95-7CC2-46A3-A4FD-C2166D973EEA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • E6FD8DFA-A31B-4665-811B-995A5AC9EF1A.jpeg
    E6FD8DFA-A31B-4665-811B-995A5AC9EF1A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 9AFC2696-4380-4788-9140-86AE0058FB9B.jpeg
    9AFC2696-4380-4788-9140-86AE0058FB9B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • C1EE2ABA-1DB9-4E92-83A8-37B47C94E5C6.jpeg
    C1EE2ABA-1DB9-4E92-83A8-37B47C94E5C6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
That is a cool ape hanger on your bike!! I installed the BMW 6.5” mini plus the WildOne 1” extension with intent of keeping my hands below my bum right shoulder.
Nice! ... I do have 'Monkey Arms' and I figured it would be only fitting to add a nice set of 'Apes' ;)
Anyway here are some pics ... I hope that is what you wanted to see
IMG_20231013_135203780_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231013_135157408.jpg

IMG_20231013_135238556.jpg

I really like how that seat closed the gap between the tank and the seat

IMG_20231013_135157408.jpg

Nice! ... I do have 'Monkey Arms' and I figured it would be only fitting to add a nice set of 'Apes' ;)
Anyway here are some pics ... I hope that is what you wanted to see
View attachment 11989
View attachment 11990

View attachment 11991

I really like how that seat closed the gap between the tank and the seat

View attachment 11992
Mr Ulrich, you are a good man!! Corbin did not provide views that you showed. The top view showed me that the wide solo seat adds balance to the wide manly cylinder heads (even w/o side bags). Also the direct side view profile can give me an idea if the wide seat would cause upper leg cramps on long rides. Thank you so much, Tony

Mr Ulrich, you are a good man!! Corbin did not provide views that you showed. The top view showed me that the wide solo seat adds balance to the wide manly cylinder heads (even w/o side bags). Also the direct side view profile can give me an idea if the wide seat would cause upper leg cramps on long rides. Thank you so much, Tony
Not a problem Tony! ... I find the seating position is just off enough from the OEM seat to make it very comfortable for me :)

Not a problem Tony! ... I find the seating position is just off enough from the OEM seat to make it very comfortable for me :)
Morning ....

Could I ask if the seat is higher than a standard BMW solo ? If it is did you have to ask for anything when ordering ?

Morning ....

Could I ask if the seat is higher than a standard BMW solo ? If it is did you have to ask for anything when ordering ?
I am honestly not sure ... it feels just a tad higher ... I had photoshopped up a picture of what I wanted and send it to their email ... from that, they quoted me and then I called them up and ordered it ... on the photoshop I used a single 'Diamond' pattern, but they told me on the phone that they also can do a 'Double Diamond' (like the 719) and I went with that.
I think the biggest thing is, that it really fits my a$$ ... I can just plop on it and it feels right ;)

Reactions: SPR
at first I was bummed the black trim pieces didn’t come with black replacement bolts but they’re growing on me. Bmw uses such high quality fasteners and nice contast. Blacked out engine, black cover plates and 2 tone black Roland Sands trim pieces. I love the blacked out bmw logoIMG_0312.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpegIMG_0290.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The center line on the front is 1mm, maybe 2mm deep. The rear is pretty well smoked up the middle. It's not like I don't lean...the chicken strip are as thin as I can possibly make them. I've rubbed the engine guard in turns and my peg feelers are so far gone that I'm close to scraping away peg rubber.
KevinQ, you obviously ride your R18 like a crotch rocket!! Have you considered switching the rear tire from 180 to 200 width on the same rim? My concern is engineering safety and sacrificing rideability on curvy roads. I switched my Harley Deuce from 160 to 180 and no difference in handling The BMW dealer said that it wouldn’t benefit me w/o going wider rim and it would fight me on turns. The 20mm increased would look great and no clearance issues!!

KevinQ, you obviously ride your R18 like a crotch rocket!! Have you considered switching the rear tire from 180 to 200 width on the same rim? My concern is engineering safety and sacrificing rideability on curvy roads. I switched my Harley Deuce from 160 to 180 and no difference in handling The BMW dealer said that it wouldn’t benefit me w/o going wider rim and it would fight me on turns. The 20mm increased would look great and no clearance issues!!
Not sure how much of a difference I would see with a wider tire. The new Shinko SR999s seems to have a bit more of a taller center with a steeper falloff to the sides of the tire. My left to right lean transition in an S bend at least feels that way.

Tried to sneak a ride in between rain clouds and miscalculated a bit. The tires handled better than I expected considering it was 45-50F and raining.

Not sure how much of a difference I would see with a wider tire. The new Shinko SR999s seems to have a bit more of a taller center with a steeper falloff to the sides of the tire. My left to right lean transition in an S bend at least feels that way.

Tried to sneak a ride in between rain clouds and miscalculated a bit. The tires handled better than I expected considering it was 45-50F and raining.
Thanks for responding Kevin. My purpose is strictly for a meatier look and not compromise safety. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel if someone has gone through the conversion experience. The fender and components can accommodate a wider tire. I just don’t want the expense changing the good looking mag.

Back