What did you do to your R18 today?

Over the outside of the lens. It's a pretty thick film. I unbolted the fog lamp and turn signal, removed the bezel, folded back the rubber gasket like material that hides under the bezel, and applied the film. The film has two little tabs of excess material that I can only assume is for application purposes, that I cut off. The film was only a few mm wider han the glass so it didn't need much trimming. The bezel covers about 2mm of the outer rim of the glass so the edge of the film is actually covered and not at risk of being ripped off by wind or picked off by someone's prying fingernails.

For anyone interested, the product is named Lamin-x
Hi Kevin. Obviously you did your homework to ensure that you ordered the perfect size Lamin-X film for your fog lights. When you ordered from Lamin-X, did you just specify for R18 stock fog lights or did you have to request a specific size? Thanks, Tony

Yes it is
looks great. and probably helpful to the forum to know another part that is interchangeable between the models. cool

I have the same fender but with some chrome on the front edge that somehow doesn't look out of place on the TC but would on any of the other R18 models. does seem to keep front of engine pretty clean. bugs are the primary scourge to keeping my TC clean.
20231018_174317000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
A thread about little mods and tweaks. When good enough isn't quite good enough...

3M protective tape between rubber pillion seat feet and rear fender.
View attachment 223

I put a little talc on the rubber feet to sort out exactly where they landed. The result is not super pretty but it's effective.

Nate

***Those are not scratches but merely reflections. Kinda did a double-take there.
Rode it. Light rain so tried out the “Rain” mode.

Added a Unit Garage saddle bag, I was using a small moss grey split leather one from my scrambler, but wanted the larger one in black.... so I asked my dogs to get me one for my birthday, luckily they are well trained.

Anyway, the bag is mostly always empty and is used mostly for shoping that I may do on the way home, so it was important to me that it sits well when empty. For some reason the small one sits well but the big size comes with a plastic thing that makes it hold a big and boxy form.... and to my eye ruins the cool look..... so out with some tin snips and now it sits better.

As the leather straps soften with a bit of use I will trim them a bit as well. I may trim the liner a bit more, probally until I go a bit far.... as that seems to be how I stuff things up normally. It cost just under $700 (Aud... not real dollars) to the door.... I already had the bike frame bracket.... ordered earlier in the year... the bracket is their earlier one for the fish tail exhaust.... their new version sits the bag a bit higher.... I'm happy with the lower look.... bag just clears the exhaust.

20231122_091253-02.jpeg

Attachments

• _data_prod_img_borsa_laterale_scram_in_crosta_di_cuoio_22l-30l_2_jpg_r_950_950~2.jpg
    _data_prod_img_borsa_laterale_scram_in_crosta_di_cuoio_22l-30l_2_jpg_r_950_950~2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 16
Added a Unit Garage saddle bag, I was using a small moss grey split leather one from my scrambler, but wanted the larger one in black.... so I asked my dogs to get me one for my birthday, luckily they are well trained.

Anyway, the bag is mostly always empty and is used mostly for shoping that I may do on the way home, so it was important to me that it sits well when empty. For some reason the small one sits well but the big size comes with a plastic thing that makes it hold a big and boxy form.... and to my eye ruins the cool look..... so out with some tin snips and now it sits better.

As the leather straps soften with a bit of use I will trim them a bit as well. I may trim the liner a bit more, probally until I go a bit far.... as that seems to be how I stuff things up normally. It cost just under $700 (Aud... not real dollars) to the door.... I already had the bike frame bracket.... ordered earlier in the year... the bracket is their earlier one for the fish tail exhaust.... their new version sits the bag a bit higher.... I'm happy with the lower look.... bag just clears the exhaust.

View attachment 12264
I like the sheepskin seat cover, did you have that made? Or can it be purchased like that.

I like the sheepskin seat cover, did you have that made? Or can it be purchased like that.
I had it made by a local sheepskin guy ($80)... it's on a bmw homage seat.... with 20mm of gel.... a 1 minute job to remove it for the raw homage seat look.

View attachment 12264
Nice! Do you have pictures of the frame bracket? Is the OEM?

Nice! Do you have pictures of the frame bracket? Is the OEM?
Yes it is OEM.... however Unit Garage seem to have a different one now that lifts the bag higher (a person on facebook posted something).....

Mine
20231025_135959.jpg

And the new one they do.... same part number as mine was earier this year.... this lifts the bag heeps.... looks a bit to high in my view with a bag on, but maybe with a higher pillion seat it would be ok?

_data_prod_img_telaio-r18-per-scarico-fishtail_jpg_r_950_950.jpg

Height of bag with new bracket

395084340_10230599777515011_115536121619513605_n.jpg

Last edited:
Rode to the not so local dealer today to have my headlight replaced (the daylight running led bar had lost some leds).... all done under warranty and pain free..... also found out the bike has 5 years of warranty.... not 3 as I thought. So... even the 1" of rain didn't get me on the way home as I expected.... it held off for a bit..... so all up a good day.

Whilst waiting I crossed the road to the Harley place for a look.... a bit more stock there these days.... I behaved myself.

Last edited:
Rode to the not so local dealer today to have my headlight replaced (the daylight running led bar had lost some leds).... all done under warranty and pain free..... also found out the bike has 5 years of warranty.... not 3 as I thought. So... even the 1" of rain didn't get me on the way home as I expected.... it held off for a bit..... so all up a good day.

Whilst waiting I crossed the road to the Harley place for a look.... a bit more stock there these days.... I behaved myself.
Did you buy your bike used, where the previous owner purchased an additional warranty period; or is the 5 yr. warranty, related to a new R18 purchase?

Did you buy your bike used, where the previous owner purchased an additional warranty period; or is the 5 yr. warranty, related to a new R18 purchase?
I'm australia based.... BMW upped the warranty from 3 years to 5 years from november 2022 over here.... my bike was old stock (3/21 FE).... bought by me earlier this year.... but was registered as a demo in Oct 22.... had 50 miles on it when I got.... I'd assumed that the Oct 22 registration would have triggered the start of warranty.... I wasn't worried about that because it was a steal price wise.... but nice to have a couple more years protection given the price of things like the headlight.

Gosh, that is very good news. 5 years warranty is awesome. I wonder why one country has this and other don’t. Surely it can’t be because the country laws.
Anyways , happy for you mate.

I'm australia based.... BMW upped the warranty from 3 years to 5 years from november 2022 over here.... my bike was old stock (3/21 FE).... bought by me earlier this year.... but was registered as a demo in Oct 22.... had 50 miles on it when I got.... I'd assumed that the Oct 22 registration would have triggered the start of warranty.... I wasn't worried about that because it was a steal price wise.... but nice to have a couple more years protection given the price of things like the headlight.
你们是幸福的 在中国宝马摩托车只保修2年

Back