What did you do to your R18 today?

Installed the Roadstyler bag bars on my TC. From what I can tell the instructions they provide are for the Bagger; The TC does not need the extra hardware they provide.View attachment 9751
This looks like a nice alternative to the expensive Wunderlich offerings. What can you tell us about the installation, quality of parts, shipping times, etc... Also, have you tried laying the bike on its side to check the clearances? (See below link). Thank you.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/n...tal-rear-case-protection-bars.1982/post-28564

I finally got out of town on my R18 classic. I was not surprised at my fuel economy, though it was tempered with high speed on the freeways.. On a round trip of 200 miles my average consumption was just under 39 MPG... not too bad for a heavy bike. Later I booked a date for the first service and noticed they have a dandy R18 Trans taken in with only 700 miles on the clock... Taken in trade on an Idian Chief according to the salesman ? I said, break-in oil change or trade for another bike ? I am dreaming of a bagger but at my advanced age the Classic is enough for my personal range....

This looks like a nice alternative to the expensive Wunderlich offerings. What can you tell us about the installation, quality of parts, shipping times, etc... Also, have you tried laying the bike on its side to check the clearances? (See below link). Thank you.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/n...tal-rear-case-protection-bars.1982/post-28564
Installed the Roadstyler bag bars on my TC. From what I can tell the instructions they provide are for the Bagger; The TC does not need the extra hardware they provide.View attachment 9751
@goofygraber Does this impact the suspension travel. There was an issue with the first Wunderlich bag guards.

burangs - what kind of pipes do you have and are they louder than the fishtails?
Hi, I have been away for about 6 months … I no longer own that bike, but they were the shortest Freedom Performance 2.5 Fishtails with the round rear caps fitted. Yes, they were louder, but not deafening. I thought they looked fantastic with both rear caps.

I met my R18 FE pure for the first time.... and then rode it 100kms home. It was then introduced to it's brother (2021 r nine t scrambler).

FWIW... i bought the R18 without ever riding one.... it came from a dealer one state over (freighted to the nearest real town).... and I got a little bit rained on on the ride home.... go figure.

Riding it seems to be an "event".... as I thought/knew it would be.

Last edited:
Hi RyBread, It was VN2000 and I sent you those images couple weeks ago.
I have now replaced it with my home made deflector, no problem with Hwy speed.
I bought the kit, but the mounts dont fit around the forks, was just making sure.

I made a service appointment at my dealer this past week. They have a new TC just taken in trade for an Indian Chieftain... I ride an R18 Classic and have been drooling over the Bagger and TC but fear they are way to top heavy to enjoy, this trade sort of seals that in money. Any comments ????

I made a service appointment at my dealer this past week. They have a new TC just taken in trade for an Indian Chieftain... I ride an R18 Classic and have been drooling over the Bagger and TC but fear they are way to top heavy to enjoy, this trade sort of seals that in money. Any comments ????

I really don't see the weight being an issue... my first two days with my bagger I spent doing figure 8s and low speed maneuvers... getting acquainted with its handling is key to any bike

Definitely 'on' ... if you ride in the rain ;)
Agree. I rode a 2006 Harley Superglide without a front fender for a period of time and as soon as you get caught in a rain storm you may as well pull over. The front wheel would throw a steady blast of water right up at my face the whole time to the point it was dangerous for me to go over 25 mph. I pulled over, waited an hour for the storm to clear and the water to kinda/sorta dissipate and then kept going. I found out how important a front fender is!

Agree. I rode a 2006 Harley Superglide without a front fender for a period of time and as soon as you get caught in a rain storm you may as well pull over. The front wheel would throw a steady blast of water right up at my face the whole time to the point it was dangerous for me to go over 25 mph. I pulled over, waited an hour for the storm to clear and the water to kinda/sorta dissipate and then kept going. I found out how important a front fender is!
The R18 is my local “barhopper”. I have a few other bikes that may see rain. This one may never get wet.

Not sure if my reply will help.... I've ridden an 1150 GS for 20 years (and still do). That, fully loaded, is a top-heavy bike.
My TC is much heavier and a lot more mass but it doesn't feel as top-heavy as the GS, due to ride heights, ground clearance, and that heavy 1800cc engine. Low speed maneuvering is a breeze on both bikes, once you learn your tip-over points and throttle/clutch/brake mannerisms.

IMG_4294.jpeg

I wasn't sure about spending the entry price for the Wilbers shock but the reviews here finally pushed me over the edge.
After the first ride of about 25 miles I can say I agree with everything posted here previously. I can now ride the country roads here without getting beat up from every crack in the pavement. I would compare it to my Indian FTR now for ride quality. The solid mounted bars are now far more noticeable thant's the rear suspensionover larger road imperfections. I no longer have try to dodge every bump in the road.

Last edited:
View attachment 9840

I wasn't sure about spending the entry price for the Wilbers shock but the reviews here finally pushed me over the edge.
After the first ride of about 25 miles I can say I agree with everything posted here previously. I can now ride the country roads here without getting beat up from every crack in the pavement. I would compare it to my Indian FTR now for ride quality. The solid mounted bars are now far more noticeable thant's the rear suspensionover larger road imperfections. I no longer have try to dodge every bump in the road.
Nice!!! Tell me please, what happens now with the OEM type of adjustment. I am talking about the thing that you have to turn around, located at the side of the bike. Even with this the Wilber shock, do you have to adjust the preload?

Waved it goodbye and an end to R18 ownership for now. Attempted to buy a 100 Years edition but woeful px offers and no discount on the anniversary bike were the final straw amongst other things.

Attachments

• IMG_4320.jpeg
    IMG_4320.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
Back