What did you do to your R18 today?

Nice!!! Tell me please, what happens now with the OEM type of adjustment. I am talking about the thing that you have to turn around, located at the side of the bike. Even with this the Wilber shock, do you have to adjust the preload?
It is about a $300 extra to get the shock with a similar preload adjustment mechanism....

Nice!!! Tell me please, what happens now with the OEM type of adjustment. I am talking about the thing that you have to turn around, located at the side of the bike. Even with this the Wilber shock, do you have to adjust the preload?
The adjustment bolt under the side cover goes away. No need to adjust anything, it comes set to your weight and riding style.
So far it feels perfect.

The adjustment bolt under the side cover goes away. No need to adjust anything, it comes set to your weight and riding style.
So far it feels perfect.
D, if you HAD to adjust the preload collars x2 at the top of shock, do Wilber’s supply you with tool and do you have room in there to adjust once shock is in place ?

IMG_4269.jpeg
The RSD fork brace arrived. The width is a perfect match for the 7” width between the fork fender mounting bosses. I will need to slot the bolt holes a little bit to mate it to the 3.225” bolt hole spacing.
I think it will look pretty badass when it’s installed.

This looks like a nice alternative to the expensive Wunderlich offerings. What can you tell us about the installation, quality of parts, shipping times, etc... Also, have you tried laying the bike on its side to check the clearances? (See below link). Thank you.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/n...tal-rear-case-protection-bars.1982/post-28564
About 2 weeks before it shipped and about another week before it got delivered. Overall seems pretty solid once installed, good quality. Installation involves taking the passenger boards off and taking the side cases off (take the seat off, unplug some connectors, remove some zip ties). After that remove the bolt that lines up with the bar, loosen up the other bolts holding the frame together and slide the bar into place. Then put everything back together.
I haven't checked clearances for when it falls to its side. I'm not sure if it effects suspension travel or anything; I haven't noticed any problems yet.

This weekend I had an upholstery designer reshape the stock seat and insert some gel padding on it. It vastly improved the stock seat for a fraction of the cost of a new, better seat - I went for a 1h30min ride with the custom seat with zero fatigue or weird pressure points, it even made me further fall in love with the bike

Screenshot from 2023-05-08 11-11-04.png

This weekend I had an upholstery designer reshape the stock seat and insert some gel padding on it. It vastly improved the stock seat for a fraction of the cost of a new, better seat - I went for a 1h30min ride with the custom seat with zero fatigue or weird pressure points, it even made me further fall in love with the bike

View attachment 9875
Excellent, please more info about the work. Thanks in advance

She just cut and shaved some of the original foam to create a better back support and to relieve pressure on the sides based on my body shape, she also replaced foam with gel inside that marked area in the middle. I'm planning on having her do a custom seat project but I'll wait until winter for that

Excellent, please more info about the work. Thanks in advance

With a new R18 taking up residence (joins my R nine t Scrambler) I needed a way to lift the rear to install a Wilbers shock that I ordered a few weeks ago.... so I did a quick cut and weld job for now..... down the road I'll add to it so it connects to the front of the motor and has a ramp over lift mechanism.... also so the bike can be lifted whilst it is free standing so I can work on the forks.... but I need to get some steel first.... used a bit of kangaroo leather to reduce scratching.

Also added a Unit Garage pannier bracket so I can use my Scrambler pannier when needed.

20230510_122229.jpg20230510_122401.jpg20230510_122215.jpg

Last edited:
Also trying to find a reasonably workable configuration for the toe and heal shift levers.... currently swapped the toe to the inside and brought out the heel shifter.... adjusting the front closer...... have ordered some Wunderlich extenders to further experiment with. Also have a Hommage seat in the way.

20230510_124216.jpg

Just installed RSD headlight trim, speedometer and fork top covers. Wunderlich headlight lowering kit and black risers from MilwDave. Thank you Dave. All in all a great transformation in one swoop.

Attachments

• 9B5D5A8F-23D7-409E-B407-8CF20F3337FA.jpeg
    9B5D5A8F-23D7-409E-B407-8CF20F3337FA.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 73
  • F682B186-6712-4E67-BE4E-F2767A15E187.jpeg
    F682B186-6712-4E67-BE4E-F2767A15E187.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 73
  • 424B9A38-8F79-4E55-82A0-EF0E5EFA18F1.jpeg
    424B9A38-8F79-4E55-82A0-EF0E5EFA18F1.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 74
Back