6190F3C9-2B0A-47DD-808E-7183CA52349B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 75
  • F2149FC9-D1C8-4C01-B520-5B32CE8D3029.jpeg
    F2149FC9-D1C8-4C01-B520-5B32CE8D3029.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • E6742B56-700B-4932-BDF3-218F3A8B79AF.jpeg
    E6742B56-700B-4932-BDF3-218F3A8B79AF.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 82
Nice work, looks great! (y) Your custom winglets are much smaller than the Memphis. You didn't like the Memphis aesthetically or didn't you perceive any improved air flow from the protection area under the blinkers?
The Memphis is a tryout. For it to work, I have to mount it 45+ degrees inward toward the engine behind the blinkers. I didn’t like the look of it.

With the new home made wiggles above the blinkers, I used the same Memphis mounts with new trim deflectors and mounted below the blinkers.

I am on my way home from a 7 day trip, both deflectors above and below the blinkers pass the test of 85+ Hwy speeds with west Texas desert high wind.
With the setup windshield extension, top and below blinkers deflectors I don’t have any turbulence from my both sides of the knee to the top of my module helmet, matter fact I have to crack the visor for air to get in my face. I am now done with testing and will keep this setup.

Attachments

• 20230515_131023.jpg
    20230515_131023.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
Nice setup, you must be very satisfied having a final solution after all the work & testing. Looks great too. (y)

I used the same Memphis mounts with new trim deflectors and mounted below the blinkers.
Those deflectors look a a lot less bulky than having the OEM lower leg protection mounted on engine bars. The latter probably offers more wind protection though. I wonder how your setup compare to that. Since you now have defeated the turbulence, do you still have a fair amount of wind blowing over your legs? (Which would be a good thing in the Texas desert but a bad thing in colder climat.)

That looks pretty awesome.
Can I ask where you came across them?
I designed them in CAD software and then had the design manufactured as a 1 off job. The engine case at that spot will get around 102 degrees celsius after a 30 minute ride according to the thermal gun so the material had to be heat resistant. I used a matte grey polymer to try and match the engine texture, I think they turned out good. Could have manufactured them in black but I felt that might stand out too much.

Send me a PM if you want more details or want to have a pair manufactured for you.

@MonsieurNiceGuy (not sure if this tagging works here!)

Last edited:
Nice setup, you must be very satisfied having a final solution after all the work & testing. Looks great too. (y)

Those deflectors look a a lot less bulky than having the OEM lower leg protection mounted on engine bars. The latter probably offers more wind protection though. I wonder how your setup compare to that. Since you now have defeated the turbulence, do you still have a fair amount of wind blowing over your legs? (Which would be a good thing in the Texas desert but a bad thing in colder climat.)
Thanks, I am happy with the setup.
I wouldn’t know, since I haven’t tested drove one with OEM Lower leg protection.
Only little wind hitting the ankle and that is an easy fix if I want to add another piece of deflectors on each side of the engine guard (see a rough draft of red area inside of engine guard)

Attachments

• 20230515_131023_2.jpg
    20230515_131023_2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Looks great..!! can the associated cabling and such be hidden within the beach bars or are you stuck with the use of wire-ties to secure the cables?

The dark color Leg Rest look good, with the black cylinder head covers; how are you liking the Wunderlich Leg Rest, are they comfortable?

Thanks, I am happy with the setup.
I wouldn’t know, since I haven’t tested drove one with OEM Lower leg protection.
Only little wind hitting the ankle and that is an easy fix if I want to add another piece of deflectors on each side of the engine guard (see a rough draft of red area inside of engine guard)
Thanks for sharing your experience and for the pics. I'll have to tackle this soon and certainly before any longer trip. Think I'll start with the winglets (OEM or custom) and work from there until I'm satisfied with protection. Your setup seems to protect very well without being too "intrusive".

Looks great..!! can the associated cabling and such be hidden within the beach bars or are you stuck with the use of wire-ties to secure the cables?

The dark color Leg Rest look good, with the black cylinder head covers; how are you liking the Wunderlich Leg Rest, are they comfortable?
the cabling from the indicators (but only from the indicators) is routed inside the beach bar. Wunderlich footrests are ok. appreciated on long routes

I recently installed heated grips on my buddy's HD Road Glide; running the power cables through the handle bars was a real pain in the dick. He has handle bars that have a sharp point to them, and then sweep down towards the triple-tree; I had used a shop vacuum to help draw a pull cord string through the handle bar tubes, and then lots of DAWN dish soap on the power cable harness to reduce friction in pulling the cables through the different bends. In the end, the grips look like they are factory OEM; nice and clean.

One of my bike modification rules is.... if the purchase, delivery and installation of a "thing" goes undetected (by wife) then it never happened. Having been retired for 13 years... so no longer able to have "things" delivered to work.... "undetected" is no longer a given.

Anyway.... a Wilbers shock and some wunderlich heel and toe lever extender thingies never happend today. Also removed the exhaust flap servos.... which also never happened.

Just waiting on my Hommage seat now... which has been fully declared... so will happen.

Of course, something that never happened, can not be photographed..... sorry.... that would be a beginner mis-step.

Also... the shock was meant to be a +20.... but I think they sent me a normal length.... only noticed that after install.... not sure how I feel about that.... maybe a bit let down..... about 20mm let down I guess.

EDIT...one day in and my Hommage seat arrived...... straight though customs.... yipee.....from the stock low seat this is 45mm higher... I might try spacing it up another 25mm (an inch).

20230519_120701.jpg

Last edited:
Back