What did you do to your R18 today?

I sold my GS Adventure w/ 96,682 miles on her to get the R18 B; now at 55+ years old, I love everything about the Model B... that's not me saying that my GS wasn't good to me..

I'm enjoying the lower ride height and geometry, sound system, adaptive cruise control, bat wing fairing, navigation and the overall look...
I would confer Scott, well everything apart from the navigation system. It really needs to be improved to be on par with Garmin or the systems found in cars these days.

I would confer Scott, well everything apart from the navigation system. It really needs to be improved to be on par with Garmin or the systems found in cars these days.
Agreed.. it does take a little getting use to it; I don't experience half of the problems that I read from other forum members. I think the navigation relies to much on the connected cell phone and the Wi-Fi connection between the two systems.

I download all of my music locally onto my phone, so not to introduce issues if I ride through an area where cellular service is spotty; that seems to help minimize issues with the interface.

I use the Harley Davidson trip planner to create a route, and then export - import the file into the BMW Connect app, and select it as my route.

Agreed.. it does take a little getting use to it; I don't experience half of the problems that I read from other forum members. I think the navigation relies to much on the connected cell phone and the Wi-Fi connection between the two systems.

I download all of my music locally onto my phone, so not to introduce issues if I ride through an area where cellular service is spotty; that seems to help minimize issues with the interface.

I use the Harley Davidson trip planner to create a route, and then export - import the file into the BMW Connect app, and select it as my route.
I am still trying to get use to making the map appear on my R18B, I must admit I am spoiled by the nav on my K1600GTL. Seems like I have to plan on setting my map before each ride on the R18B. BTW Scott do you still need the phone cradle from a R18B/TC?

I am still trying to get use to making the map appear on my R18B, I must admit I am spoiled by the nav on my K1600GTL. Seems like I have to plan on setting my map before each ride on the R18B. BTW Scott do you still need the phone cradle from a R18B/TC?
I kept my old iPhone 11 which I used exclusively in my R18B with the second Sim card. The idea of using the HD trip planner is worth a try. Planning stuff with the BMW App is a bit long winded. I rode that K1600 in it's Bagger form a couple of months ago whilst my R18 was in for a service. I loved it. If I had the cash, and if the K1600B was equipped with the Dynamic Cruise Control, I'd have it as my second bike. Over here in Germany, HD are all over the place in the cruiser segment. You hardly ever see the R18s and they are made here in Berlin.

Ditto.
I don’t have the DH trip planner, all I do is search for the location I need to travel to using the Connect App and I get 3 routes choices depending on my settings (avoid dirt road and things like that) and as soon as I select the desired route, the app does the rest on a milli second and I am all set.
Once I think, I went through a patchy area where my network signal was poor and I lost signal for a fraction but nothing that caused me to go into a panic mode. To be honest, I am happy with the capabilities of the app now that I have the hang of it.

I kept my old iPhone 11 which I used exclusively in my R18B with the second Sim card. The idea of using the HD trip planner is worth a try. Planning stuff with the BMW App is a bit long winded. I rode that K1600 in it's Bagger form a couple of months ago whilst my R18 was in for a service. I loved it. If I had the cash, and if the K1600B was equipped with the Dynamic Cruise Control, I'd have it as my second bike. Over here in Germany, HD are all over the place in the cruiser segment. You hardly ever see the R18s and they are made here in Berlin.
I guess I need to look into the HD trip planner. My wife is from Bexbach and she would not let me get a HD :D After I installed my aux lights now she says I have one.... LOL. But I really miss riding in Germany, my favorite roads were Johanniskreuz and Traben-Trarbach from Lötzbeuren.

Ditto.
I don’t have the DH trip planner, all I do is search for the location I need to travel to using the Connect App and I get 3 routes choices depending on my settings (avoid dirt road and things like that) and as soon as I select the desired route, the app does the rest on a milli second and I am all set.
Once I think, I went through a patchy area where my network signal was poor and I lost signal for a fraction but nothing that caused me to go into a panic mode. To be honest, I am happy with the capabilities of the app now that I have the hang of it.
I downloaded a few of the maps, does that put them on my phone?

That has a nice rumble….deeper tone!! Did you remove the 4 hole baffles and are the cats still intact?
The baffles and all other wadding etc has been removed - there is a pic on another thread ..... they weigh about 1/2 as much as the originals

Cats and flaps haven't been altered

You are so welcome ... a small side note the /60 tire will be just a tad taller than the /55 tire .. which means your speedometer will be much closer to 'spot on' then what it is now
Let us know how that goes .. I may go the same direction as soon as I wasted the Michelin brick that is on there now
As soon as I determine that I can safely mount the 200 on my stock R18 mag wheel, I’ll do it. The BMW dealer also commented that the 200 will not benefit me because stock rim will pull the sides in and not be as wide. I changed from 160 to 180 on my Harley Deuce and liked the result. My R18 only has 800 miles and have changed so much so I can wait until 2024. Your black crash bar has caught my interest! Who is the manufacturer? Is it painted black over stainless steel? Or is it black chrome over stainless steel? Thanks, Tony

Back