What did you do to your R18 today?

I am always amazed at how we benefit from the information provided in the R18 forum. Good people from around the world are always ready to help w our personal projects. I need help in preventing hamstring cramps when riding after a strenuous sports activity. Has anyone installed the Wunderlic leg rest that mounts on top of the cylinder heads? The other option is BMW leg rest that mounts on the BMW crash bars. For the people that have installed either options, what are your thoughts?

I have the BMW Leg rests mounted to the BMW Engine Case Guards. I am 6’2”. I find them to be very comfortable and my heal rests on the inside of the engine case guards. I only use them one leg at a time. I don’t feel secure and safe with both legs up at a time. I think it would be difficult to react quickly trying to get both legs down at the same time. It does eliminate cramps/pressure points and discomfort by giving me the ability to adjust into different positions on extended rides.

IMG_0428.jpeg

I have the BMW Leg rests mounted to the BMW Engine Case Guards. I am 6’2”. I find them to be very comfortable and my heal rests on the inside of the engine case guards. I only use them one leg at a time. I don’t feel secure and safe with both legs up at a time. I think it would be difficult to react quickly trying to get both legs down at the same time. It does eliminate cramps/pressure points and discomfort by giving me the ability to adjust into different positions on extended rides.

View attachment 12957
You just proved my statement about how helpful people are in the R18 forum. Thank you for a very thorough response to my questions and that is beautiful bike you built!! The picture that you provided showed the correct platform angle (forward downward angle) to support the calves and minimize the strain on the back of the knees. BMW didn’t show this necessary angle. Thank you

View attachment 12957

I had the BMW OEM leg rest on my Model B for exactly two long rides, where I immediately removed them and sold via this forum; me personally, I did not find them comfortable, nor pleasant to the eye on bike.

If I were to attempt to install another leg rest solution; hands down, I would go with the Wunderlich solution. Seems like it gets the job done, and looks way more sexy on the R18; plus, I don't think you need to install the engine protection bar to utilize the Wunderlich setup, makes for a cleaner looking bike if you're striving for that simple look.

I had the BMW OEM leg rest on my Model B for exactly two long rides, where I immediately removed them and sold via this forum; me personally, I did not find them comfortable, nor pleasant to the eye on bike.

If I were to attempt to install another leg rest solution; hands down, I would go with the Wunderlich solution. Seems like it gets the job done, and looks way more sexy on the R18; plus, I don't think you need to install the engine protection bar to utilize the Wunderlich setup, makes for a cleaner looking bike if you're striving for that simple look.
Very interesting points Scott and very much appreciated. I am also 19yrs your senior and plagued w natural age fatigue. The pros on the BMW crash bar and foot rest are: Ergonomically better IMO than Wunderlich, it doesn’t cover the massive jugs as much, and engine vibration should be less. The cons require the crash bar which I don’t have yet, the crash bar weight which adds to the already heavy bike, and the total cost at least doubles w the crash bar. BTW I was considering designing a urethane skid panels to mount on the bottom of the valve covers. This may eliminate the need for crash (engine protection) bar. Too many projects to prioritize😄

IMO the legs directly on the cylinder is enough to satisfy my needs
Luis, you are a tougher man than I am😄. I tried during a ride and pulled back quicker than a spooked cat. It didn’t blister but it was uncomfortably hot on my calf. Granted my jeans were probably medium weight.

Luis, you are a tougher man than I am😄. I tried during a ride and pulled back quicker than a spooked cat. It didn’t blister but it was uncomfortably hot on my calf. Granted my jeans were probably medium weight.
I would imagine jeans alone allow quite a bit of heat through! I wear leather boots that come up over the calf and I find the cylinder heads adequate for stretching out, no burning my legs. Just my way of doing it, YRMV.

Today I..... pulled the fishtails off the bike and order a set of pro race full titaniums.. Im in love with the way this thing sounds without just the slip ons.. I can only imagine without the rest when the system comes in!!! Im too excited to wait for this long production time... Im riding with no slip ons till then ;)

I would imagine jeans alone allow quite a bit of heat through! I wear leather boots that come up over the calf and I find the cylinder heads adequate for stretching out, no burning my legs. Just my way of doing it, YRMV.
I’m glad that you and Luis chimed in on stretching your legs directly on the cylinder heads instead of purchasing a separate leg rest. I have other more pressing accessories to get for my R18😄 I switched from my summer boots to winter boots which protects my calves well! Gentlemen, thank you.

I’m glad that you and Luis chimed in on stretching your legs directly on the cylinder heads instead of purchasing a separate leg rest. I have other more pressing accessories to get for my R18😄 I switched from my summer boots to winter boots which protects my calves well! Gentlemen, thank you.
Excellent! At the very least, it gives you an alternative that allows you to adjusy your farkling priorities.👍
I've ridden like this for years on my GS, though on the TC it is a bit more of a hamstring and achilles stretch. 🙃

A friend had asked me to take her for a ride for the last year or so, and now I have a second helmet I agreed to do the deed. So bolted back on the pillion foot pegs, mounted the bum pad on the guard and wound up the suspension bit and off we went today.

Anyway, this taking someone on the back of the bike is way overated. Deed done and back home, pegs and seat off..... now it's back to being all about me....

The pad seat sorta fitted with the Homage seat.

20240128_112702.jpg

Off course, if I was a horny 20yo.... I'd have a different view, the bird I just met at the pub could sit anywhere on the ride home and I'd be happy. It is just that these days I'm much more sophisticated.... turns out there are two different 70's. The one you can remember (just) and the one coming fast.

Last edited:
Well, after a long period of walking with crutches, I finally managed to take the bike out on Sunday. The weather was fine so I rode to the Bike Shed in London. Never been there before but I have heard a few things about it, so I decided to pay a visit. Really cool place and lots of merchandise on sale. On my way out there was a guy with a GoPro and he captured my exit from the place.
If you type Bike Shed London 2024 you will see the video and others doing a tour of the place.
Will definitely go back soon and spend a little longer and stay for lunch or something.

A friend had asked me to take her for a ride for the last year or so, and now I have a second helmet I agreed to do the deed. So bolted back on the pillion foot pegs, mounted the bum pad on the guard and wound up the suspension bit and off we went today.

Anyway, this taking someone on the back of the bike is way overated. Deed done and back home, pegs and seat off..... now it's back to being all about me....

The pad seat sorta fitted with the Homage seat.

View attachment 12987

Off course, if I was a horny 20yo.... I'd have a different view, the bird I just met at the pub could sit anywhere on the ride home and I'd be happy. It is just that these days I'm much more sophisticated.... turns out there are two different 70's. The one you can remember (just) and the one coming fast.
I noticed your Unit Garage Italian bag. It appears to be the larger size. I am very interested on the smaller bag which would fit my chopper style R18. How do you like the bag? How do you control the bag from sagging into the swing arm?

I noticed your Unit Garage Italian bag. It appears to be the larger size. I am very interested on the smaller bag which would fit my chopper style R18. How do you like the bag? How do you control the bag from sagging into the swing arm?
Yes the black one is the larger of the two.... I have a small moss grey one as well...

20230519_120701.jpg

The smaller bag I had before I got my R18... it is for my scrambler....

20240118_141951.jpg

When I got the R18 I just ordered a bracket for the R18 so I could use the bag I had. This bracket was the one they had listed for use with the fish tail exhaust. The bracket they now sell is different, same product no, it lifts the bag higher again..... I ,entioned this in my prevous post.

Anyway.... bag is great quality.... probally not best if often in the rain (treated suede).... the small bag sits well... but will only hold a loaf of bread and some milk.... the larger bag has a plastic piece inside to help it keep it's shape.... if the plastic is taken out it does rest on the exhaust.... maybe this is why they made a taller bracker.

The bags don't hit the swingarm.....

Last edited:
Yes the black one is the larger of the two.... I have a small moss grey one as well...

View attachment 12996

The smaller bag I had before I got my R18... it is for my scrambler....

View attachment 12997

When I got the R18 I just ordered a bracket for the R18 so I could use the bag I had. This bracket was the one they had listed for use with the fish tail exhaust. The bracket they now sell is different, same product no, it lifts the bag higher again..... I ,entioned this in my prevous post.

Anyway.... bag is great quality.... probally not best if often in the rain (treated suede).... the small bag sits well... but will only hold a loaf of bread and some milk.... the larger bag has a plastic piece inside to help it keep it's shape.... if the plastic is taken out it does rest on the exhaust.... maybe this is why they made a taller bracker.

The bags don't hit the swingarm.....
Thank you for your very thorough explanation! I will make plans to get the smaller size in black suede. It will go on the right side w a bracket that will move it forward approximately 4”. Left side has my license plate. If I wanted more volume capacity, I would’ve gotten a bagger but not my style😄

Thank you for your very thorough explanation! I will make plans to get the smaller size in black suede. It will go on the right side w a bracket that will move it forward approximately 4”. Left side has my license plate. If I wanted more volume capacity, I would’ve gotten a bagger but not my style😄
The cases on the bagger are small, I had to get a smaller lunch and laptop bag in order to ride to work and still have issues. I guess I have to keep riding my K1600 to work and leave the R18 for pleasure :D

Back