Wilbers Shock on base model.

Folo

Evening folks!

I posted recently about upgrading to a Wilbers shock and am here to deliver. Will admit this is a short run of only a few miles but I picked the rougher streets in my neighborhood until I can get out and ride further.

It's ridiculous how much better it is than stock. Before, these same roads would transmit a small jolt to me as if the bike was hitting max travel and kinda one-inch punching you, and nevermind the actual potholes that would rock the whole bike. With the Wilbers you get (least in my order) 20mm longer length and it's preset to my weight.. the bumps disappear, feels more like the GS paralever or air ride where the bumps are still felt but more like a wave you roll over vs hitting rocks.

I would highly advocate this upgrade because it raises the ride height (you feel more like a standard than a cruiser), infinitely better adjustment and ride comfort, and you get more lean angle.

Attachments

• IMG_20230325_183407753_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230325_183407753_HDR~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20230325_191542085_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230325_191542085_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
Evening folks!

I posted recently about upgrading to a Wilbers shock and am here to deliver. Will admit this is a short run of only a few miles but I picked the rougher streets in my neighborhood until I can get out and ride further.

It's ridiculous how much better it is than stock. Before, these same roads would transmit a small jolt to me as if the bike was hitting max travel and kinda one-inch punching you, and nevermind the actual potholes that would rock the whole bike. With the Wilbers you get (least in my order) 20mm longer length and it's preset to my weight.. the bumps disappear, feels more like the GS paralever or air ride where the bumps are still felt but more like a wave you roll over vs hitting rocks.

I would highly advocate this upgrade because it raises the ride height (you feel more like a standard than a cruiser), infinitely better adjustment and ride comfort, and you get more lean angle.
I did exactly the same upgrade to my R18 FE and can only confirm what you experienced. My Wilbers 640 configuration is: rider’s weight 80kg, 20mm higher, as comfortable as possible, 95% solo. Highly recommended. As I am a lightweight, it feels so much more comfortable vs stock. Very close to the comfort of a GS. I ride both and can compare it.

Ride safe folks…..

One of the best performing, least sexy upgrades one can do on their bike...

This is going to be my next purchase for my base model.
My question for those of you that have the Wilbers installed is if the 20mm longer shock contributes the majority of the ride improvement or will the std length model give the same noticeable effect?
Also, does anyone have a side shot of the increased ride height after the install?

The extra 20mm will give better lean angle and improve your feel at a stop if you are taller but I think the shock just have a more plush feel with the optimized spring and rebound adjustment.

Evening folks!

Cost?

Can you post the exact part number for this? I'd like to order the same one with the 20mm lift here in Australia but the localised website doesn't have an R18 option

I think I will go with the 20mm added length. After taking a ride today I think I need whatever edge I can get out of this shock upgrade.

Any feed back on the visuals with the +20mm? I'm about to order but don't want to lose the low rear look. I know the +20 only raises the rear... no shock travel difference..... so.... maybe a smidgen more peg clearance.... and maybe a small bit of a smidgen quicker steering....

Last edited:
There is no increase in travel, just a taller shock absorber? I'd like at least 120mm of travel in the rear, as on the Bagger and TC.
I'd contact Wilbers direct and ask if they can do that.... I bought a +20mm via the Australian dealer and .... for the life of me..... could not understand why the +20mm should not be "shock travel" with say a progressive spring rather then just "stupid" fixed height.... makes no sense with only 90mm travel.... for plus 20 to be ok drive shaft angle/wear can't be a limitation.

I am somewhat confused and maybe missing something..... as if they promoted +20mm more travel I'm sure they would sell heaps more.... so maybe I am missing something.

FWIW I just emailed Nitron shocks in the UK this question (whilst I have a plus 20 Wilbers shot on my R18..... I prefer the Nitron shock I have on my R Nine T)..... If money is no issue.... then.... I'd go this: Ohlins advertise a longer travel shock for the R18..... +9mm via Unit Garage... https://www.unitgarage.com/special_parts/suspension_and_cooling/rear-ohlins-s46hr1c1b-bmw-r18

I also wish I'd got seperate dampening adjusters and remote preload........

Last edited:
In talking with the rep I recall them stating there isn't a physical lengthening of the spring but rather better internals and adjustability with the ends of the shock being machined to be physically longer. I followed up asking if the Hornig tail rise kit could be used in tandem and they confirmed its not possible because their 640 road shock (whats on my bike) is already long and thus wouldn't be able to be altered for that extra piece to fit.

Can say that I've done this on my Sport Glide, with a Heritage Classic shock swap out. 43 mm of travel on the Showa Sport Glide vs 56mm on the Heritage Classic. Makes for a much more enjoyable ride on my Sport Glide going from 3.5" to 4.6" on the back. Cost me $120 for the used rear shock off the Heritage Classic and about 20 minutes of my time to do the swap out.

I hope someone sees this as an opportunity for a good aftermarket shock to be brought out.

I sent this to Wilbers today...

"I am wanting to know if your 640 shock for the BMW R18 motorcycle that is listed as +20mm has more travel than the standard length shock.... or is it only a +20mm ride height?

Is it possible to get a shock that increases suspension travel for this bike? and if so what would be the biggest increase in suspension travel possible.... 30mm would be desirable if possible.

And if it is not... can you explain why ride height is possible but not getting usable suspension travel.... I think you would sell more shocks for this bike if suspension travel was increased.

Part of the reply from Wilbers I got today.......

"With a shock absorber with +20mm height adjustment, we have a larger spring travel than with the standard height.
With the standard height, the spring travel is about 100mm. With the +20mm lift, the travel is approximately 115mm."

And.... some more words that might encourage me to play....

"It would be possible to produce a special shock. You could build a maximum of +25mm and the suspension travel would be about 125mm. However, the ABE's are invalid for special shocks and we can not guarantee that the shock absorber also fits reasonably and works."

From this ..... my take out is..... the stock shock travel is 90mm..... the standard Wilbers shock travel is about 100mm and their +20 gives about 115mm of travel....... and if one commisioned a +25mm from them travel might be of the order of 125mm..... HOWEVER.... there would be no ABE coverage..... which is a germany compliance vehicle standards thingy..... so in effect it would not be a road legal shock.

I think they would sell a lot more +20 shocks if their marketing promoted 115mm of travel.......

And.... now I know my +20 shock has 25mm extra travel over the stock shock I'm sure my brain will think it rides better tomorrow then it did yesterday..............

Last edited:
Back