Wireless Phone Charger Project R18 B / TC

Have either of you made any progress on this mod? I just picked up an R18B today, and would love to make this my 1st mod! The 3D printer model replacement insert is exactly what I need. Did this work for you?
Yes, my modification to the existing OEM cradle, with the ROKK 12V wireless puck has been in service for a few rides now; no issues and all is working well.

Phone is easy in and easy out, not fussing with USB-C connectors and such; phone receives a charge while running the BMW Connect & YouTube music app.

Scott, I’m glad to hear that it’s working well for you! I was hoping that someone figured out how to 3d print a good alternative plate to drop in place of the OEM charger. I would rather start with that then hack into the oem one, but will likely go that route absent of an alternative.

Have either of you made any progress on this mod? I just picked up an R18B today, and would love to make this my 1st mod! The 3D printer model replacement insert is exactly what I need. Did this work for you?
Check in with forum member Chris_BobsBMW; he was working on a 3D printer solution.

I did see a used cradle assembly for sell online, perhaps buy it and retrofit that one as a spare. If you decide to go that route, you can mail me the parts; I'd be happy to duplicate what I did for my R18 B if you don't feel up to doing it.

Scott, I’m glad to hear that it’s working well for you! I was hoping that someone figured out how to 3d print a good alternative plate to drop in place of the OEM charger. I would rather start with that then hack into the oem one, but will likely go that route absent of an alternative.
I've abandoned the project and just put a wireless charger cradle on the handle bar.
Although I don't have the disconnection issues that others are having, I find the BMW connected app too intrusive.
I still use it from time to time, when I want a windy-er route home, but the cell phone on the handle bar is much easier for me.

I wish carplay was available.

Check in with forum member Chris_BobsBMW; he was working on a 3D printer solution.

I did see a used cradle assembly for sell online, perhaps buy it and retrofit that one as a spare. If you decide to go that route, you can mail me the parts; I'd be happy to duplicate what I did for my R18 B if you don't feel up to doing it.
I reached out, I’ll wait to see what he says. In the interim, where did you see a used oem unit for sale? I searched eBay and came up dry. If you could shoot me the link that would be appreciated

I reached out, I’ll wait to see what he says. In the interim, where did you see a used oem unit for sale? I searched eBay and came up dry. If you could shoot me the link that would be appreciated
JD Motor Parts: See the following link

Their site seems to have everything; the above link shows the entire tank center piece, which also has the cradle included; you might be able to just purchase the cradle?

JD Motor Parts: See the following link

[/URL]

Their site seems to have everything; the above link shows the entire tank center piece, which also has the cradle included; you might be able to just purchase the cradle?
Thanks … I’ll do some more digging. In typical bmw fashion only a partial part number fir the charger assembly is on the sticker on the bottom side

Update: Yesterday, I we went out for a 7 hr. ride; I had the BMW Connect app and YouTube music running - where I noticed that phone's battery was less than 100%.

In short, I don't think my wireless puck project can keep up with my phone's power usage, when using the above mentioned apps (blue-tooth and Wi-Fi wireless links); the battery does show the "charging" indicator though when I put it in the cradle.

I think I'll need to move back to the USB cable..

Update: Yesterday, I we went out for a 7 hr. ride; I had the BMW Connect app and YouTube music running - where I noticed that phone's battery was less than 100%.

In short, I don't think my wireless puck project can keep up with my phone's power usage, when using the above mentioned apps (blue-tooth and Wi-Fi wireless links); the battery does show the "charging" indicator though when I put it in the cradle.

I think I'll need to move back to the USB cable..
Scott, check that your phone's brightness isn't auto-brightening to 100%. Mine annoyingly does that when I put it in the dock and I have to force the brightness down. The screen brightness is the single-biggest power draw on the device.

Plus, because the newer iPhone screens are OLED, the brighter they are, the more burn-in they'll suffer, like the old flat-screen plasma TV's. I have an old Samsung Galaxy phone with Waze permanently burned into the vertical position due to my constant usage. I learned that lesson the hard way ;).

Mike

Scott, check that your phone's brightness isn't auto-brightening to 100%. Mine annoyingly does that when I put it in the dock and I have to force the brightness down. The screen brightness is the single-biggest power draw on the device.

Plus, because the newer iPhone screens are OLED, the brighter they are, the more burn-in they'll suffer, like the old flat-screen plasma TV's. I have an old Samsung Galaxy phone with Waze permanently burned into the vertical position due to my constant usage. I learned that lesson the hard way ;).

Mike
Ahh... I will definitely check that before I give up on this effort.

ThX

The wireless charger project doesn't appear to keep up with charging the phone when running the navigation and media apps; it does charge the phone if I simply drop it into the cradle.

I'll popped out the USB-C interface and tucked it under the cradle; where I can dress in my USB-C cable a little more manageable.

Still looking to pick up another cradle, if anyone is getting rid of one?

PXL_20230611_174808143.jpg

The wireless charger project doesn't appear to keep up with charging the phone when running the navigation and media apps; it does charge the phone if I simply drop it into the cradle.

I'll popped out the USB-C interface and tucked it under the cradle; where I can dress in my USB-C cable a little more manageable.

Still looking to pick up another cradle, if anyone is getting rid of one?
Damn.

I was hoping for a different outcome. At least you know your solution isn't the correct approach. Is it possible that maybe a "floating" wireless charger, like how the iPhone wireless chargers are magnetic, and know exactly which spot to stick to on the back of the phone, might work?

What I mean by that is, make a pocket on the underside of the phone holder where the wireless charger puck can freely move around for your phone size, so that when you go to place your phone in the holder, it can make a solid connection? With power induction, even a little bit off the charger can have a big impact on power transfer - this effect can even be observed in induction cooktops, where shifting cookware off the induction coil prevents the cookware that's off the coil from receiving any "heat". While that's useful for cooking (I do it all the time), it can have a significant effect on power transmission on electrical devices if the transmitter/receiver aren't perfectly aligned.

That's why Apple put the magnet in place with their chargers, whereas Samsung and others did not (at least in older generation chargers). If you don't EXACTLY position your induction coils correctly, your charging won't work as efficiently.

Lastly, there are two different types of induction chargers, the standard type and the fast charger. I don't know which type you installed, but from the sounds of it, I'm presuming it wasn't the fast charger. The difference between the two are merely the wattages between the charging circuits.

This may be a project I'd be willing to take on myself, but I've already committed to drilling holes in my gas fill tube (after I finish a queue of other projects) to increase the capacity of my tank, in a clear show of insanity.

Mike

Damn.

I was hoping for a different outcome. At least you know your solution isn't the correct approach. Is it possible that maybe a "floating" wireless charger, like how the iPhone wireless chargers are magnetic, and know exactly which spot to stick to on the back of the phone, might work?

What I mean by that is, make a pocket on the underside of the phone holder where the wireless charger puck can freely move around for your phone size, so that when you go to place your phone in the holder, it can make a solid connection? With power induction, even a little bit off the charger can have a big impact on power transfer - this effect can even be observed in induction cooktops, where shifting cookware off the induction coil prevents the cookware that's off the coil from receiving any "heat". While that's useful for cooking (I do it all the time), it can have a significant effect on power transmission on electrical devices if the transmitter/receiver aren't perfectly aligned.

That's why Apple put the magnet in place with their chargers, whereas Samsung and others did not (at least in older generation chargers). If you don't EXACTLY position your induction coils correctly, your charging won't work as efficiently.

Lastly, there are two different types of induction chargers, the standard type and the fast charger. I don't know which type you installed, but from the sounds of it, I'm presuming it wasn't the fast charger. The difference between the two are merely the wattages between the charging circuits.

This may be a project I'd be willing to take on myself, but I've already committed to drilling holes in my gas fill tube (after I finish a queue of other projects) to increase the capacity of my tank, in a clear show of insanity.

Mike
The wireless charger unit that I installed is only a 10W unit, which isn't consider a rapid charger. I didn't see a 15W or 20W model offered; in addition, I'm right at or slightly over the recommended thickness of the charging surface.

Early testing showed an improved charging of my phone's battery when I simply dropped the phone in the cradle and took a test ride; however, I wasn't running any music at the time.

Just checking in; any progress on that 3D print design for the phone cradle space?

Quadlock makes a waterproof wireless mount that's I've used on several bikes including my R18FE. I just fabricated a short flat plate between the handlebar clamp bolts and mounted it to that .

Run a USB cable to a BMW adapter on the left side of the bike. Super easy and I've never had a Quadlock case or universal mount fail.

Currently my phone cradle functions, both when plugged in using a USB-C to USB-C cable, as well as wireless on an iPhone SE model; however, I originally fabricated the wireless puck and placement of the puck around an iPhone, which worked well for charging my Department job phone. The PROBLEM... I recently purchased a new personal PIXEL 7 phone; when I place it into the cradle, the phone does indicate that it is charging via the wireless puck; however, I've found on long rides (~6 hrs.) using the BMW Connect App via Wi-Fi and Streaming constant music via PRIME or YT, the battery usage vs the input charging rate must not be able to keep up on my Google PIXEL 7.

The Pixel is approximately 3/4" (10/16") larger in length than my iPhone, plus the PIXEL 7 has an aluminum raised bar across the rear of the phone case that houses the camera lens / LED light, which also raises the phone slightly off the surface of the cradle (probably adds to the problem)

I could probably try placing the PIXEL facedown and see if that improves my charging efficiency and or flip-it upside down in order to get a better placement over the charging puck. I typically just place my phone in the charging cradle when I ride, this allows me to quickly grab it in order to take a picture and or throw it in my pocket quickly when walking in to grab lunch and what not; rather than, having to manipulate the USB-C cable, which can be tricky... I typically connect it to the USB-C cable at the end of my day, on our way back home from a long ride when we all stop for gas..

I've been searching eBay for anyone selling the cradle so that I can attempt to fabricate the same design that I currently have in place; however, optimized the charging puck around the PIXEL 7 phone... If anyone has removed their Model B or TC phone cradle in order to repurpose the gas tank space, I'm interested in purchasing or trading the phone cradle assembly...

Thanks … I’ll do some more digging. In typical bmw fashion only a partial part number fir the charger assembly is on the sticker on the bottom side
"STORAGE COMPARTMENT WITH CHARGING PORT", part # 46639830137

Also, I have been digging in to the wire plug adapters for the 12v under the charging cradle, I have ordered a used one and will see if it fits when it gets here and let you guys know.

I traced around my cradle on an old piece of scrap plastic that I had, and cut out a new “insert” by hand. I the soft side of some velcro tape on there as a way for me to pull it back out easily - just find something with the prickly part of the velcro, and use it to "grab" the insert and pull it out. Also, it gives a nice soft place for the phone to rest. When my cable adapter thingies get here, if they work out I will drill a notch in one side for the charger cable to come through.

IMG_4116.jpeg IMG_4117.jpeg IMG_0130.jpeg

Definitely a more practical and simpler use of that space...

There's an enormous amount of room, once you pull the phone cradle out; I'm surprised a company hasn't offered a third party solution, in lieu of the over engineered OEM platform.

Back