Wunderlich Tank Pad Issues

Anyone else have these tank pads? I have tried endlessly to get there to work and am scraping rock bottom. I applied the initial pair as instructed, made sure the tank was spotless with no residue or otherwise, and they started to peel almost immediately. A friendly call to Wunderlich USA (who does not manufacture these, but distributes them) later, they warrantied another set out to me. Same result. I tried peeling off all the adhesive tape they used and replaced it with much tougher 3M outdoor tape again making sure to clean everything thoroughly. Tape was applied at optimal bonding temps per the instructions. Same result.

It seems to be an issue of curved tank and flat thick rubber pads not wanting to conform, they just slowly snap back to shape and pull the adhesive with it.

Hoping someone has found a way to make it work. I don't want my long spaghetti legs to wander and scratch my clear coat under braking.

Anyone else have these tank pads? I have tried endlessly to get there to work and am scraping rock bottom. I applied the initial pair as instructed, made sure the tank was spotless with no residue or otherwise, and they started to peel almost immediately. A friendly call to Wunderlich USA (who does not manufacture these, but distributes them) later, they warrantied another set out to me. Same result. I tried peeling off all the adhesive tape they used and replaced it with much tougher 3M outdoor tape again making sure to clean everything thoroughly. Tape was applied at optimal bonding temps per the instructions. Same result.

It seems to be an issue of curved tank and flat thick rubber pads not wanting to conform, they just slowly snap back to shape and pull the adhesive with it.

Hoping someone has found a way to make it work. I don't want my long spaghetti legs to wander and scratch my clear coat under braking.
I was told the adhesive needs to be activated by rubbing the plastic (peel) film.I have a set of these but have not installed them yet.I probably will leave them in direct sunlight to help cure the glue then rub keeping them pliable.The ambient temperature needs to be above 65 degrees.
Probably wouldn't hurt to put the bike in the sun to warm up the tank.
I will post my experience when I make my attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told the adhesive needs to be activated by rubbing the plastic (peel) film.I have a set of these but have not installed them yet.I probably will leave them in direct sunlight to help cure the glue then rub keeping them pliable.The ambient temperature needs to be above 65 degrees.
Probably wouldn't hurt to put the bike in the sun to warm up the tank.
I will post my experience when I make my attempt.
The temp of the tank and pads when I applied was 80 or so, the adhesive states 70-100. Too hot is just as bad as cold I think. I also applied the 60s of constant pressure before letting go. I haven't heard of the rubbing before but I did leave the tank side of the plastic on, flipped the pad onto a table, and pressed down before applying to make sure the adhesive stuck fully to the pad. It peels from the tank every time though, not the pad

I first set mine in reverse position.
So I had to unglue them, peel the adhesive, and put 3M one.
Perfect adherence.
Did you put any silicon protection on your paint?

I first set mine in reverse position.
So I had to unglue them, peel the adhesive, and put 3M one.
Perfect adherence.
Did you put any silicon protection on your paint?
Nothing done to my paint, I cleaned any residue off the surface with goo gone then many, many passes with rubbing alcohol

I think I'd take the set without the adhesive, heat them to 160 or so in the oven, then hold them (gloves would be wise) on their respective spots until they cool. I guess you could wrap with ACE bandages too. I'd avoid tape. Then, assuming they've cooled to a slightly contoured shape, apply some 3M double sided adhesive and stick 'em on.

/you shouldn't have to do any of that
//Wunderlich products are, usually, very nice

I think I'd take the set without the adhesive, heat them to 160 or so in the oven, then hold them (gloves would be wise) on their respective spots until they cool. I guess you could wrap with ACE bandages too. I'd avoid tape. Then, assuming they've cooled to a slightly contoured shape, apply some 3M double sided adhesive and stick 'em on.

/you shouldn't have to do any of that
//Wunderlich products are, usually, very nice
I'll give this a try and report back, thanks

I got these from China,Aliexpress for under $25 shipped.The adhesive is a very thin film.Sorry I forgot to take a picture of them showing that.I will say they went on and are holding.The only issue is the adhesive overlaps the pad in some areas.That makes the glue exposed and need to be cleaned off.If you look closely to the tank you can see a little glue at the edged.I did not want to keep cleaning and risk having the cleaner go in and behind the pad.I will let it cur for a few days and apply some adhesive remover with a Q-tip.
Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_9421.JPG
    IMG_9421.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9423.JPG
    IMG_9423.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
Well, I should’ve got the side tank protectors earlier, as I now have chafing on both sides. Wunderlich sells the tank protectors for $80, but I found these on eBay for $34. Are they worthwhile?

Back