6,000 miles service cost is ridiculous!

Acabo de hacer mi servicio de 600 millas a $550. Solo hicieron aceite de motor y transmisión final, que puedo hacer más barato, pero querían que hicieran el primer servicio en caso de que algo salga mal, es más fácil para la garantía. Haré mis propios fluidos y filtros y dejaré que el distribuidor haga las válvulas.
El servicio de rodaje (600 millas o 1000 km) se compone de cambio de aceite y filtro y en españa esta en unos 200 eu segun al servicio oficial que vayas........esos 550$ me suenan a que esos 600 millas te coinciden con el servicio anual (donde cambian líquido de frenos y alguna cosa más además de aceite y filtros), sino que es así por un aceite y un filtro de aceite que compone esa revisión no te puede justificar por ningún lado esos 550 dólares.
Saludos desde España.

Monty.

pdt...las revisiones de todas las 1800 están en precios similares a mi adv1250, además es muy accesible a trastear en casa. Solo las juntas del motor que nos quieren cambiar cada 10k km y están como nuevas debido a su excelente calidad desvían el coste. Decirle a vuestro jefe de taller del servicio oficial que sea cuidadoso con ellas y os podéis ahorrar unos 400 eu en los primeros 20k km, aunque le deis una propina o le invites al café.

Just did my 600 mile service at $550. They just did engine oil and final drive, which I can do cheaper, but wanted them to do the first service in case something goes wrong it’s easier for the warranty. I’ll do my own fluids and filter and let the dealer do the valves.
So far my dealership in NJ seems very competent (unlike my Jeep service shop); my first service was included in my purchase price, which it appears that they did a good job via a couple of spot checks that I looked at..

I'll evaluate my position with the dealership at my next service interval; I was planning on using the BMW service shop during the warranty time period, then perform my own service afterwards, especially on procedures that I'm equipped to carry out - unless the service shop prices are so compelling, that it's more convenient for them to discard the old oil and filter from oil changes and such (it's a pain in the ass being environmentally friendly, but needed...)

Maintenance costs have and continue to be my concern with a new bike. I had the same concern when I purchased my 2003 BMW R1100S in 2003. I took it in for the 600-mile service and I never went back for any other services. I was able to do all fluid replacement, brakes, and shock replacement based on info from various forums. If and when I pull the trigger on a TC, I am thinking I will do the same. Not that I can't afford to pay, but the costs seem excessive.

Maintenance costs have and continue to be my concern with a new bike. I had the same concern when I purchased my 2003 BMW R1100S in 2003. I took it in for the 600-mile service and I never went back for any other services. I was able to do all fluid replacement, brakes, and shock replacement based on info from various forums. If and when I pull the trigger on a TC, I am thinking I will do the same. Not that I can't afford to pay, but the costs seem excessive.
Plus when u service the bike yourself...u not only know it's done right, and without waiting, u bond more with it.

I was in shock too, but then I realized that it's actually not that hard to maintain the bike myself.

Since I plan on riding the bike a lot and having it for a while, I bought the Hornig stand than the OBDLink tool (or whatever it's called) to reset the service light and do the other things that need doing. I bought Mopar oil for the trans and final, which is much more affordable than the BMW branded oil. Mobile 1 15W-50 will work for affordable engine oil (in my opinion, and according to Mobil 1, but use whatever you want). You should be able to reuse your valve cover gaskets. Brake fluid flush sounds straight forward.

If you take your car or truck to the dealer for everything they say it needs you'd go broke on that as well....
That Mb1 15w-50 is great oil!

Yeah, the dealership offers a maintenance plan but it wasn’t in the budget at the time. he then told me I could purchase the maintenance plan later on if I wanted to.. I called and asked about that and they said that “ I would have to have a safety inspection on it” , costing more my🤷🏻. With the research i did I found that its easy to maintain, but what i didn’t know until after purchase is that there isn’t a repair manual available for it lol I’m going to be selling
Lurchen,plenty of mantainance video's on You tube ....

Was quoted $800 for the 6,000 mile service ! That’s if they don’t have to adjust the valves or replace anything else.. mind you that I put 6,000 miles on in 3-4 months.. I’m extremely disappointed that bmw doesn’t have a service manual for the R18 Available.. I don’t think they have any newer 2021 on up service manuals for any of there bikes .. I think it’s time to sell or trade for a different brand..
That's extortion ! See if there any good independents locally , or call and ask other dealers find the costs, maybe where you bought it from maybe cheaper? good luck , prices here in uk going up fast,
Drove past a car garage today , and a sign out side , "looking for Technicians £2000 /$2400 Sign on fee!

I had my 24 month annual and 6k service done today. They changed engine oil, oil filter, air filter, gear box oil, final drive oil, and brake fluid. Total price out the door was $965. Valves were in spec and did not need adjustment and the dealer reused the gaskets.

So far my dealership in NJ seems very competent (unlike my Jeep service shop); my first service was included in my purchase price, which it appears that they did a good job via a couple of spot checks that I looked at..

I'll evaluate my position with the dealership at my next service interval; I was planning on using the BMW service shop during the warranty time period, then perform my own service afterwards, especially on procedures that I'm equipped to carry out - unless the service shop prices are so compelling, that it's more convenient for them to discard the old oil and filter from oil changes and such (it's a pain in the ass being environmentally friendly, but needed...)
Cross Country?

I'm not at my first service yet, but they were the most expensive in our area.

Yes, Bob at Cross Country BMW Hasbrouck Heights. I used the Metuchen shop with my 2008 GS Adventure; however, I had a chance to visit the Max BMW shop in CT - they look like they live, eat and breath boxers..

Was quoted $800 for the 6,000 mile service ! That’s if they don’t have to adjust the valves or replace anything else.. mind you that I put 6,000 miles on in 3-4 months.. I’m extremely disappointed that bmw doesn’t have a service manual for the R18 Available.. I don’t think they have any newer 2021 on up service manuals for any of there bikes .. I think it’s time to sell or trade for a different brand..
Indeed, my dealer quoted me 1400 to 1600 for a Six K service.... I went to a different dealer, one I really trust and they said 400.00 I will take it in on this next friday.... All brands are now without brochures and or service information... this really SUCKS.....

I'd like to see the invoice for a $965 service fee. My guess is $300/hr labor charge x two hours + parts.

What's the hourly rate at the service shop?
I honestly didn't ask and I don't see the rate listed on the invoice. The bike was up on the lift from about 9:15 AM until around 12 PM. I dropped it off right when the dealership opened, took a demo bike for breakfast and came back around 11.

Unfortunately there is only one BMW dealer in Albuquerque and the one in Santa Fe is owned by the same auto group, so I'm kind of stuck.

While the bike is under warranty, I'll continue to pay the dealership, but after that, I may just suck it up and invest in the equipment to do it myself.

To be honest, the price is about what I was expecting. I paid $540 for the annual on my daughter's 390 Duke, which is much easier. The maintenance on my sister and BIL's Indians seems pretty comparable to what BMW is charging here.

I honestly didn't ask and I don't see the rate listed on the invoice. The bike was up on the lift from about 9:15 AM until around 12 PM. I dropped it off right when the dealership opened, took a demo bike for breakfast and came back around 11.

Unfortunately there is only one BMW dealer in Albuquerque and the one in Santa Fe is owned by the same auto group, so I'm kind of stuck.

While the bike is under warranty, I'll continue to pay the dealership, but after that, I may just suck it up and invest in the equipment to do it myself.

To be honest, the price is about what I was expecting. I paid $540 for the annual on my daughter's 390 Duke, which is much easier. The maintenance on my sister and BIL's Indians seems pretty comparable to what BMW is charging here.
Its the price we have to pay for the shops to keep highly (?) qualified staff on hand with the tools, tech gear, spares, equipment and premises we expect to find immediately when we need them. Not excusing extortion but the shops do have to outlay a lot of cash to become an agent or service agent and they need to recover some and make a dollar.

Its the price we have to pay for the shops to keep highly (?) qualified staff on hand with the tools, tech gear, spares, equipment and premises we expect to find immediately when we need them. Not excusing extortion but the shops do have to outlay a lot of cash to become an agent or service agent and they need to recover some and make a dollar.
I went back and looked at the receipt I received and I think I was charged for 5 hours. I suspect that this is a "book rate" thing where BMW says it takes a certain number of hours to do the 6k service and additional time for the annual even though some of the tasks can be done concurrently. I'll ask for clarification when I go back on Saturday to get the air filter replaced. It was out of stock but the labor charge was included by the service computer.

Back