Accessories for the R18

theMucker

Premium Member
OK... it's a very new bike and we can't expect a lot of new stuff from the aftermarket right away. But, that's not going to stop me from putting Google to work anyway.

I've gone to Roland Sands Design and was not surprised that, even though they built a heck of a custom R18 dragster and they make some of the products that BMW is showing on their web site, they have nothing yet available directly from RSD.

Vance & Hines has a long megaphone exhaust system available. Some folks may like it, but I don't like it because it in no way works with the art deco/retro look of the R18.

Revzilla has some stuff and much of it looks like what's shown as accessories on the BMW "build your own" web site. I like seeing that some goodies are available in the aftermarket but WOW! the prices!!! How many riders will be able to afford $1000 for an engine front cover or $1500 for valve covers? Aftermarket seats have been expensive for decades, so it didn't surprise me that the Weekender seat is $650. I'm betting that it will be a big seller, because the stock seat is as soft as granite. $550 for an "engine protection bar" seems kinda steep. It's just a bent-up piece of steel tubing. But it'll seem cheap compared to the damage that a low speed incident can do to those beautiful cylinder heads.

The OEM "build it" web site doesn't give prices of the accessories and I've been told that any accessories ordered with the bike will replace the stock items. Could it be because they figure that "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"? I'd sure like to know what BMW will charge for the accessories. If they're as much as Revzilla is asking, then a rider may as well buy an UNaccessorized R18 and then buy the goodies from Revzilla. At least that way, you'd own BOTH the original parts AND the aftermarket goodies.

Those items are add-ons to the stock valve covers (and the front engine cover) and they look VERY nice. Is that your own bike R2K or a photo from the internet?
I'm considering getting the add-on pieces (as shown above), rather than the machined replacement covers because they won't negate getting an R18 with the 1st Edition and Premium packages. Also, if Revzilla is any indication, the replacement covers may be far too expensive to even consider buying. I'm still waiting to hear back from my local dealership on pricing and availability.

Those items are add-ons to the stock valve covers (and the front engine cover) and they look VERY nice. Is that your own bike R2K or a photo from the internet?
I'm considering getting the add-on pieces (as shown above), rather than the machined replacement covers because they won't negate getting an R18 with the 1st Edition and Premium packages. Also, if Revzilla is any indication, the replacement covers may be far too expensive to even consider buying. I'm still waiting to hear back from my local dealership on pricing and availability.

That picture is from the BMW R18 special edition Facebook page. So no not my bike. I know they may be cost prohibitive for me as well but wow they are awesome.

An R18 with the replacement "machined black" covers and some other black goodies would look awesome. But it apparently can't be obtained in combination with the 1st Edition or Premium Packages. At least, that's what their "build it" website insists.

Attachments

• R18 Black Covers.jpg
    R18 Black Covers.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 51
  • R 18 BLACKED-OUT setup.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
An R18 with the replacement "machined black" covers and some other black goodies would look awesome. But it apparently can't be obtained in combination with the 1st Edition or Premium Packages. At least, that's what their "build it" website insists.
I saw the black ones on RevZilla, but I like the ones pictured with chrome top and bottom and I am hoping they available sometime in the future

Revzilla has the black add-ons on their webpage for $600. They're held on with two screws each. The chrome above and below is the exposed OEM valve cover under them.

Awesome that’s even better for me because that is the look I like...thank you sir

That's a good looking item. It really adds some pizzaz to the engine. Are you also going to be getting the similar pieces that go on the valve covers?

I spoke with BMW Long Beach yesterday and they are expecting most accessories that appear on the "Build Your Own" site around the beginning of March. I'm particularly interested in the windscreen/running light package. I'm sure it's gonna be beaucoup expensive, but comfort and safety are important.
BMW R18 Tall Windscreen.jpg

For Accessories: (Ordered in September )

Saddlebags bags & Mounts - Installed
Touring saddle - Installed
Valve Cover Trim - Waiting to arrive
Crash bar - Waiting to arrive
Cast wheels - Pending install
Tires for cast wheels- Bridgestone ($250 set vs $450 for Michelin or Metzler)

Windshield is pending parts numbers to order.

Back