Any RED R18's out there yet?

Is that your R69S? I am looking for the chrome rings under the BMW emblems
No, I don't have an R69, but I like the look of them. My old BMW is a R75/5:

IMG_0242.jpegAt least according to the parts fiche on MAXBMW, the R69, R69S & R69US all have a rubber gasket under the BMW badge and that part number is still available. BMW does frequently replace parts with alternates, so perhaps if the original had chrome, the only way to get the part now would be a used one. Try the Airheads group: https://www.airheads.org or the Vintage BMW group: https://vintagebmw.org as they are good sources for hard to find parts for the older BMWs.

For what its worth let the people know that the delivery of my 2022 R18C has been pushed back to mid March..
The dealer called, now we are talking about late April delivery of the R18C. He offered BMW goodies / equipment and allowed me to keep using my trade-in GSA past the originally agreed mileage so it looks like I will be going to Spain next month with the GSA instead of the originally planned R18C. Surely will be more comfortable but less stylish trip ;)

aaaand it arrived!

Grided both pegs on my way home from the dealer, not very good on curvy stuff but who cares as its not made for that. Initial impression after 200km is that the std windshield really bad causing turbulence just on my face after 90km/h or so. Also a bit more exhaust sound would be nice, I prefer civilised and educated bikes but this is almost too quiet.

Removed the windshield and surely improved the helmet shaking situation but as a trade off I need to hang on the bar at higher speeds. Perhaps a bit lower would be the best compromise. BMW seems to sell one with part no 77339443606, anyone tried?

Attachments

• IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
  • tempImagebRuu36.png
    tempImagebRuu36.png
    18.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
aaaand it arrived!

Grided both pegs on my way home from the dealer, not very good on curvy stuff but who cares as its not made for that. Initial impression after 200km is that the std windshield really bad causing turbulence just on my face after 90km/h or so. Also a bit more exhaust sound would be nice, I prefer civilised and educated bikes but this is almost too quiet.

Removed the windshield and surely improved the helmet shaking situation but as a trade off I need to hang on the bar at higher speeds. Perhaps a bit lower would be the best compromise. BMW seems to sell one with part no 77339443606, anyone tried?
Beautiful. I actually like the red better without pinstripes. Regarding the windscreen, I'd be interested in a report if you get it. Maybe someone here has posted about it, but I haven't seen it. I don't have any problems even at highway speeds with the windscreen removed, but I'm 6' and it looks like you may be a bit taller.

There are some here who reported that deflectors that get mounted to the forks does a good job at reducing buffet with the stock screen. I was initially skeptical but there are enough confirmed reports that it sounds like a real thing.

Anyway, congrats!

aaaand it arrived!

Congratulations! She's beautiful and the bike is too..... (apologies in advance, but it had to be said).

As to grinding the pegs there is information in the owner's manual as well as several posts in the forum on setting the recommended spring preload.. My shop adjusted my shock prior to delivery, but it appears many were delivered in the setting used for shipping which has minimal suspension travel and results in the lowest ground clearance. It may be your's is properly adjusted, but it is worth the couple of minutes it takes to easily confirm this was done.

🍻🍻

I was at BMW Motorcycles of Seattle yesterday. They just got in two red R18’s. One pure, the other a R18C. I see the pure has different from forks, more like an R nine T

I was at BMW Motorcycles of Seattle yesterday. They just got in two red R18’s. One pure, the other a R18C. I see the pure has different from forks, more like an R nine T
The 2022 bikes offer the fork covers as options, so the base price can be a bit lower and for those who want that look.

Will check the preload, thanks for the tip. Got it yesterday so I'm also breaking myself in to the bike. As initial observations the R18 feels small after my previous GSA, is more comfortable than my Bonneville T100 and has weaker brakes, need two fingers as in the GSA got used to driving with the index finger resting on the brake lever. I have option 719 seat, did few hours non stop without no meaningful pain in the butt. Cannot do the same on the Bonnie.

Rock mode seems to be only worth while using with more responsive throttle. What else does it do? Need to scroll the manual some day.

Motea sissybar + extra brackets for the Classic (which I received in December..) did not fit, the connection on the sissy being 5-6mm wider than the grooves on the brackets when mounted on the bike.

Love the way the drive shaft sparkles in the sun.

tempImageBnoFOk.png

Will check the preload, thanks for the tip. Got it yesterday so I'm also breaking myself in to the bike. As initial observations the R18 feels small after my previous GSA, is more comfortable than my Bonneville T100 and has weaker brakes, need two fingers as in the GSA got used to driving with the index finger resting on the brake lever. I have option 719 seat, did few hours non stop without no meaningful pain in the butt. Cannot do the same on the Bonnie.

Rock mode seems to be only worth while using with more responsive throttle. What else does it do? Need to scroll the manual some day.

Motea sissybar + extra brackets for the Classic (which I received in December..) did not fit, the connection on the sissy being 5-6mm wider than the grooves on the brackets when mounted on the bike.

Love the way the drive shaft sparkles in the sun.

View attachment 5092
That is a great photo, the red really compliments her lines well!

I agree on the brakes. I've had many BMWs too and when I took delivery of the R18 my salesman mentioned this was the first BMW he had ridden that really benefitted from use of the rear brake when riding aggressively and/or emergency situations. Best guess it was engineered to be that way much like the rocking in rock mode as it was believed to be beneficially appealing to the demographic they were trying to make conquest sales to. Regardless, I practiced using it so it's not an afterthought when needed, but mostly use engine braking and light 2 finger pressure for more than adequate slowing/stopping. After a few rides I now rarely think about them.

Been driving with and without the screen. A Puig spoiler helps a bit on the buffeting but overall better without any shield, especially now as the summer in heating up here in Portugal. I am ordering a Clearview once they are on the market.

Will have 1000km maintenance next week, only real worry is the soft brake feel. Perhaps there's some air in the system as the handle gets a bit firmer with pumping. Also I am surprised on how much noise does the final drive make, with engine braking it is really howling especially in low speed traffic, the sound reminds me of my old Moskvitsh Elite from the 80¨s so there's that nostalgia;) .. My previous GSA felt way more "sophisticated" in both negative and positive way. It is the nature of the beast I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back