Bagger owners, the winglets work!

I was wondering if the deactivated cell phone concept would work; I have two phones that are in decent shape, to just live in the cubby... I'm pretty sure they both have music and BMW Connect maps already downloaded..

My new Pixel 7 barely fits, I had to modify the cubby platform in order to make it work; which isn't desirable - the Motorola RAZR flip phone was ideal for the bike.

This will be my weekend project; after I'm finished with the new kitchen pantry (honey-do list)

As said by everyone so far, BMW should have put a native NAV system on the bike. Huge difference.

On the plus side, I have found the TFT screen to be cool feature. It is SSSOOOO much easier to move around and make selections than it is on my RoadGlide. The NAV issue is my only issue on the BMW. HD needs to develop a click wheel like the R18.
I can't for the life of me navigate the screen on the RoadGlide. That is one big L for the HD machine.

This is what I do (with an old iPhone 12), and so far it is working pretty well. Downloaded the maps and music on wifi.

I was hoping to future proof the setup, I wish I knew the iPhone 12 worked. I did an 11. Even the iPhone X and XS still support the latest OS so I was just hoping to give myself a few years. I always sell my iPHones before upgrading.

I went for an hour and a half ride today and the new setup worked beautifully, I was able to navigate through different menu’s and back to maps and up she came instantl. I’ve got another 3 hour ride tomorrow I’ll see how it goes and let you know.

So I ordered the winglets on Thursday from my local dealer because it was the same price as online, and I wanted to support the local business. They hopefully will be in next week. The 7Jurock windshield came in last week as well, but I hadn't had a chance to ride the bike yet. I took it out today and while the apparent wind is much, much less, the turbulence was much, much worse. I am hypothesizing that the windshield is increasing the low pressure behind it and allowing more of the bottom turbulent air upward...which in turn is actually making it worse. I turned on the cruise and place both of my hands right where the winglets go and it cleaned it up amazingly, but it is hard to tell how that will actually translate to the winglets because I am leaning over and further forward than normal, but it at least made me optimistic.

Either way, I hope I have the same experience as Adam and others because right now it just isn't going to work for me. Obviously, I'll be sure to report back.

So I ordered the winglets on Thursday from my local dealer because it was the same price as online, and I wanted to support the local business. They hopefully will be in next week. The 7Jurock windshield came in last week as well, but I hadn't had a chance to ride the bike yet. I took it out today and while the apparent wind is much, much less, the turbulence was much, much worse. I am hypothesizing that the windshield is increasing the low pressure behind it and allowing more of the bottom turbulent air upward...which in turn is actually making it worse. I turned on the cruise and place both of my hands right where the winglets go and it cleaned it up amazingly, but it is hard to tell how that will actually translate to the winglets because I am leaning over and further forward than normal, but it at least made me optimistic.

Either way, I hope I have the same experience as Adam and others because right now it just isn't going to work for me. Obviously, I'll be sure to report back.

Thanks for the report!

The turbulence disappears when the winglets are toggled out.
You’ll get a load of air when you flip them in.
I can’t speak to the Jurock windshield, but the TC shield with winglets is ideal.
No air.

I was fully prepared to experience buyer's remorse after spending $400 more dollars converting my bagger into a TransContinental. I think I'm out about $4,000 so far when all I had to do 6 months ago was to pay $2500 more for a TC over the bagger. Oh well, I'm dumb.

The headshake above 55MPH on the bagger I dealt with for 6000 miles. I really didn't want to buy those TC winglets even though I heard from multiple people that they'd solve my issue.
Hey Adam,

You should really buy those TC winglets. They really make a world of difference on head shake ;);) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: /s/j

snoopy-motorcycle.gif

Mike

I was fully prepared to experience buyer's remorse after spending $400 more dollars converting my bagger into a TransContinental. I think I'm out about $4,000 so far when all I had to do 6 months ago was to pay $2500 more for a TC over the bagger. Oh well, I'm dumb.

The headshake above 55MPH on the bagger I dealt with for 6000 miles. I really didn't want to buy those TC winglets even though I heard from multiple people that they'd solve my issue. The bagger isn't really a touring bike as much as I thought it was when I bought it. The side boxes are very tiny, it's a short windscreen, one headlight, thin and low seat and a lot of wind turbulence both over the windscreen and coming up from under the fairing which was shaking my head.

A 7Jurock 20" screen eliminated the issues I had with wind hitting me in the face but I couldn't get rid of the vision-blurring turbulence of the air coming up from the fairing.

Finally a week ago, I paid $393 for two winglets. I installed them and did an hour of riding from 55 MPH all of the way up to around 98 MPH (for a minute) and while there's still a tiny bit of wind still hitting me on top of the head, the air hitting me from sternum to nose originating from the tank is completely gone.

THE WINGLETS WORK!

So I guess this is for folks who have a bagger and want less wind for interstate riding, there is a solution and it costs you $400.

Parts you'll need: (and a T25 Torx to screw it all together)
  1. WIND DEFLECTOR, LEFT 46 63 9 899 431 $187.20
  2. WIND DEFLECTOR, RIGHT 46 63 9 899 432 $187.20
  3. SPACER BUFFER 07 14 7 446 440 You'll need 4 of these $3.23 each
  4. BODY SCREW WITHOUT SHOULDER - M5X20-A2-70 46 63 8 527 780 You'll need 4 of these, $3.26 each
I bought everything from this page and had it all in about a week - https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2021/R18Transcont/Frame and mounting parts/Front panel.html#PartsTable

FfkPf8D.png
Thanks for this - have you tackled the accessory lights yet?

I just had my TFT updated today with this version 013.013.020 which BMW Connected emailed me that was the latest version. I'm also trialling on my iPhone turning off in settings "Private Wi-Fi Address" apparently apple introduced this setting to transmit a false wifi address whenever you encounter a new wifi connection so you can't be tracked. I don't know yet if it will make a difference but so far at home my phone has been connecting to my TFT and the maps has been working the way it should, I'm going on a couple of rides this weekend, I'll see if it continues to work or goes back to the complete failure it was prior to the update.
Good evening from Germany. It seems that the privacy policy of Apple is causing the problems.

Since I disabled this feature, the app runs reasonably smoothly. If the connection is lost, it restores itself.

Just wanted to report back my experience.

The winglets definitely helped. However, with the Jurock screen I still had annoying turbulence, but it was better. I threw the stock screen back on, and while the stock screen is much noisier, the turbulence is gone. So this is the best configuration for me…stock screen and winglets. I can manage the noise with ear plugs.

I ordered my winglets, supposedly there are none in the US 🙁 So I wait...

@adamchandler did you ever get the spacers for the turn signals?

Not yet, I’m going to wait and see on these doing any damage to the turn signals. It’ll be an expensive lesson if if I’m wrong but I don’t think the two are moving much as they’re pretty much touching solid without any vibration so I may just see how it goes.

Not yet, I’m going to wait and see on these doing any damage to the turn signals. It’ll be an expensive lesson if if I’m wrong but I don’t think the two are moving much as they’re pretty much touching solid without any vibration so I may just see how it goes.
I have a piece of kydex laying around from a previous project. Since I'm waiting for the winglets I may pop a turn signal off and try to make my own spacer.

I had the air deflectors on the k1600gt and on those really hot August days the ability to flip them out and get a little more air helped a lot 🤷🏻‍♂️

Having looked at this upgrade for an extended period of time, as well as worked through the different approaches; I would do the following hands down, in order to maintain the value of the bike:

1. If only adding the winglets; I would swap out the OEM blinkers for the OEM Mini-Blinkers, which mount directly to the mounting bracket located on each shock.

1A. Maybe consider adding the lower leg wing protection, if managing the turbulence is the primary goal; this will require the engine protection bar to also be installed as well.

2. If looking to take on some of the TC attributes (auxiliary lights, wind protection and management); then your purchasing much more in terms of different directional blinkers, auxiliary lights, mounting bracket, new fork caps (replacement of old blinker mounts) and associated hardware.

I went with option 2; I wanted the wind management and the auxiliary light package that comes stock on the TC. I chose the R18 B, because of the stock black color on the dash, forks, wheels, handle bars and engine cover; plus, my wife isn't much of a passenger - so I didn't need the rear top box and seating. The gun metal grey color which is stock on the TC, is a real turn-off for me personally..

One forum member did Option 1, I was a little surprised on how bright the mini directionals were in the posted pictures; LED lighting technology has come a long way in being bright and seen day or night. Plus, I don't think BMW would offer a sub par OEM blinker package for obvious safety reasons..

Having looked at this upgrade for an extended period of time, as well as worked through the different approaches; I would do the following hands down, in order to maintain the value of the bike:

1. If only adding the winglets; I would swap out the OEM blinkers for the OEM Mini-Blinkers, which mount directly to the mounting bracket located on each shock.

1A. Maybe consider adding the lower leg wing protection, if managing the turbulence is the primary goal; this will require the engine protection bar to also be installed as well.

2. If looking to take on some of the TC attributes (auxiliary lights, wind protection and management); then your purchasing much more in terms of different directional blinkers, auxiliary lights, mounting bracket, new fork caps (replacement of old blinker mounts) and associated hardware.

I went with option 2; I wanted the wind management and the auxiliary light package that comes stock on the TC. I chose the R18 B, because of the stock black color on the dash, forks, wheels, handle bars and engine cover; plus, my wife isn't much of a passenger - so I didn't need the rear top box and seating. The gun metal grey color which is stock on the TC, is a real turn-off for me personally..

One forum member did Option 1, I was a little surprised on how bright the mini directionals were in the posted pictures; LED lighting technology has come a long way in being bright and seen day or night. Plus, I don't think BMW would offer a sub par OEM blinker package for obvious safety reasons..

I have the engine guards and leg rests at the powder coater to match the rest of bike in black gloss. Didn't know about the lower leg wind protectors, would you have a part number/Link and or pictures?

Eventually I'd like to add Clearwater lights and I have the aux light bar on my wish list from the TC, I'd mount the lights on that, but didn't consider moving the Turn signals. (This will be a summer project, I just bought the bike this month and went a little crazy with accessories)

Back