Battery Terminal Connections!

It's a tight squeeze getting that battery out and then back in with all the wires! I installed the pigtail from a new Battery Tender charger, snugged it up, works great. I was a little worried about snapping in half the rubber strap which is difficult to get back on, takes some effort and patience to restretch it into position especially with large fingers. I really like the Velcro work a round, when my battery needs replacing I'll definitely use the Velcro strap.

Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone run their heated gear yet? any issues. I am putting on a pigtail today. Before running heated gear I want ted see if there were any guinea pigs :)

By the by. do NOT run heated gear from the supplied accessory plug... simply, its just not the right one? you will have issues with your BMW. my heated gear on my BMWs always ran on a dedicated separate fusebox. On my R18 Ive decided I only want one plug so Im attaching it directly to the battery

Has anyone run their heated gear yet? any issues. I am putting on a pigtail today. Before running heated gear I want ted see if there were any guinea pigs :)

By the by. do NOT run heated gear from the supplied accessory plug... simply, its just not the right one? you will have issues with your BMW. my heated gear on my BMWs always ran on a dedicated separate fusebox. On my R18 Ive decided I only want one plug so Im attaching it directly to the battery
This has been the case for at least 15 years, since the introduction of the can bus system.
System sense over current and shuts it down.
Began installing a secondary electrical system, with the 2005 R1200RT separately fused and relay controlled by bikes main power.
Most recent has remote control of the heated clothing from a control mounted on the handlebars.

I do it all the time and it works great, the pigtail typically comes with a 7.5 amp fuse you need at least 15 amp for a vest or jacket.

So, the job is done. The battery is much easier to move than it originally looked. I removed that battery, installed a pigtail.

My heated gear comes with a 60w option and if yours does, I recommend using it. Im used to haveing a separate fusebox on my BMWs, In this case I would start the bike before flipping on heated gear. No problems running my heated gloves and jacket liner and the heated grips. No dimming/obvious overload issues. as long as my tender works (and it should) my electrical farkles are done. for super long trips I have a longer cable to run to my saddlebags or the frame bag for a phone or to charge my bluetooth helmet.

You either have to purchase a special charger that is compatible with CanBus or install a SAE connector directly to the battery terminals for use with conventional trickle charger. The SAE connector is also convenient for heated gear in cold weather riding on plugging in a USB adpator to charge a cell phone or Bluetooth headset or anything else. If you do use it to power heated gear remember to upgrade the fuse.View attachment 2742
Do you think I could use this connector for running my dash cam as opposed to unscrewing battery terminals? I already have the same type of connection cable going spare.

Been running my BMW heated vest via the installed Hella connection since the bike was new. No issues as yet.

Been running my BMW heated vest via the installed Hella connection since the bike was new. No issues as yet.

Thanks for the link. I wrote my post in haste as the component I was looking at on the bike was not in fact a spare connector but some form of blank. (See pic).

Attachments

• 3B627AE1-8992-4881-A423-C252663630DC.jpeg
    3B627AE1-8992-4881-A423-C252663630DC.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 63
I do it all the time and it works great, the pigtail typically comes with a 7.5 amp fuse you need at least 15 amp for a vest or jacket.
Just found the following on the GS site which reflects what R2K says.

You can replace the BMW aux. socket by a real powerlet socket (same size but can handle 15A, Expensive, sure you can find for less) and wire it directly (with a fuse) from the battery.
That would keep the clean look and power your vest. If you leave the original wiring in place, you'll be able to move your outlet to your next bike.

Just found the following on the GS site which reflects what R2K says.

You can replace the BMW aux. socket by a real powerlet socket (same size but can handle 15A, Expensive, sure you can find for less) and wire it directly (with a fuse) from the battery.
That would keep the clean look and power your vest. If you leave the original wiring in place, you'll be able to move your outlet to your next bike.
On GSs we all ran auxiliary Fuseboxes. I could have done the same thing but the single connector is all I need for this bike. This is a 60w system, I believe. Experience has taught me to be cautious with anything run from the plugs connected to the BMW canbus system

On GSs we all ran auxiliary Fuseboxes. I could have done the same thing but the single connector is all I need for this bike. This is a 60w system, I believe. Experience has taught me to be cautious with anything run from the plugs connected to the BMW canbus system
Well then do not use it.
Use it on both the R1200RT and the K1600B, not planning to add multiple doodads to the R18.
Works great for me, powers dash cam, 2 remote heated clothing plugs, GPS, radar detector and separate ASE power plug all with individual circuit adjustable circuit breakers, on both bikes, without being plucked into the can bus system on either the R1200RT or the K1600B.
Powers directly off the battery with a single trigger signal from the tail light. Power draw for the trigger signal too small for the can bus ro sense on the light circuit.
This does not plug into the can bus system.

Don't worry if the trickle charger you have won't charge the battery using the aux. terminal. Mine didn't either!
A BMW trickle charger that will set you back a little bit over two hundred bucks will, but you don't really need it.
Battery Tender used to make the chargers for BMW. A pigtail from the battery is all you need. That's what the BMW dealerships do, and never had a problem.
The manual advises to disconnect the battery from the bike if you want to charge it straight from the terminals, but I'm not buying into that either.

Well then do not use it.
Use it on both the R1200RT and the K1600B, not planning to add multiple doodads to the R18.
Works great for me, powers dash cam, 2 remote heated clothing plugs, GPS, radar detector and separate ASE power plug all with individual circuit adjustable circuit breakers, on both bikes, without being plucked into the can bus system on either the R1200RT or the K1600B.
Powers directly off the battery with a single trigger signal from the tail light. Power draw for the trigger signal too small for the can bus ro sense on the light circuit.
This does not plug into the can bus system.
Im good. I just want one pigtail for this bike. Run heated gear or a charger. Im keeping this one simple :)

Ok guys…..I have been told by my Bmw dealer that I shouldn’t expect more than 2 weeks before the battery goes flat If it was fully charged! To me, that is totally unacceptable. I never leave the alarm activated and never move the bike whilst its in my secure garage. Have you please got any comments? I have purchased an Optimate 4……

I leave my bike for a month at a time with no issues. The bike is alarmed and monitored. I do have an optimate 4 but only ask the wife to plug it in if I receive a text telling me the battery is low. Hasn't happened as yet.

Ok guys…..I have been told by my Bmw dealer that I shouldn’t expect more than 2 weeks before the battery goes flat If it was fully charged! To me, that is totally unacceptable. I never leave the alarm activated and never move the bike whilst its in my secure garage. Have you please got any comments? I have purchased an Optimate 4……
Check that your alarm isn’t set to activate automatically on ignition off. Mine is set to and does arm without touching the buttons on the fob. It’s under DWA when scrolling through the setup menu on the dash.

Back