Bike not starting

Cheshire Cat

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Picked up my new BMW Classic today with 5 miles on the clock. Rode it home the 45 miles in heavy showers with no issues. On arriving home I turned the engine off and showed my wife around my new addition. On trying to restart the machine, nothing. Fired up for a second or two and stopped. (Strong smell of fuel but nothing spilling onto the ground). Let it cool off for a couple of hours and tried again. Not even firing now. Have a warning sign showing a spanner but no other indicators. Being picked up tomorrow by Dealership to see what might be wrong.

Picked up my new BMW Classic today with 5 miles on the clock. Rode it home the 45 miles in heavy showers with no issues. On arriving home I turned the engine off and showed my wife around my new addition. On trying to restart the machine, nothing. Fired up for a second or two and stopped. (Strong smell of fuel but nothing spilling onto the ground). Let it cool off for a couple of hours and tried again. Not even firing now. Have a warning sign showing a spanner but no other indicators. Being picked up tomorrow by Dealership to see what might be wrong.

CC, firstly, that's horrible. My condolences. You were likely very excited and that got pretty well crapped-on by events. What should have been a super fun day turned decidedly sour.
Secondly, it'll get sorted out and you'll be riding happily in a few days.
Lastly, I recently had engine troubles during a rain storm. The engine fault light came on and I rode home in limp mode. Took it to the shop and found a misfire in cylinder #1 (left). Tech had no idea. Cleared the code and sent me home. No real explanation. It never had a problem starting though throughout the week I waited for my service appointment. Something must be more amiss in your case. Probably a fuel line issue, from your description. Thats not something I've seen on this forum before.

Very sorry this happened to you how disheartening. What you described seems like a lose ground.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I have since read through the instruction manual, let the bike cool and tried again. No result. Would hate for them to turn up and start it immediately but can't see that I am doing anything wrong. TodkaVonic mentioned the misfire. Funnily enough on leaving the dealership the engine sounded mechanically different to the demonstrator on which I had put on a couple of hundred miles. Wondering if that has anything to do with it. Either way I did really enjoy the bike and feel sure that once fixed it will be a dream. The only bummer is I work in the Offshore oil & gas industry and will be away from home for a month starting Monday.

I've had the same trouble, I didn't talk about previously here.
Probably in october 2020.
Without any rainy ride the engine, after running very slow, didn't start anymore.
The bike was picked up at home, and was ready to ride one hour later.
It came from the throttle wire connection wich was partially unplugged.

Last edited:
I was having cold start issues, where I would have to crank the engine a few times to start. Seems the issue went away on the 6,000 mile service. Air filter was dirty. Air filter is at the front of the engine, with the front engine cover providing the vents to it. Have to remove the R18 badges and the top halves of the engine covers to gain access. Problem went away at that point. Need a good set of TORX bits and a new air filter.

Apparently the problem was a fuel line connection behind one of the side panels. The connection not properly made and vibrated off. No fuel lost due to the one way valve on the connector. Ready for collection or delivery depending on what I want to do. As I am away for a month from Monday morning I will collect it on Sunday.

Lucky it didn't happen half way home in the rain on a busy highway with no shoulder when you had to crap and there was no cell phone reception on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Lucky it didn't happen half way home in the rain on a busy highway with no shoulder when you had to crap and there was no cell phone reception on a Sunday.
Yeah no kidding.
Though it did happen to BD(Ben Dover) on the 5 except it was on a Friday nite & since he is full of crap.It was not pretty,LOL!

Regards,Tom

Really glad the bike & rider are okay!

Thank you R2K. Yes, the horse is part Irish draft. Does lots of eventing but currently lame which has upset my wife quite a lot.

Thank you R2K. Yes, the horse is part Irish draft. Does lots of eventing but currently lame which has upset my wife quite a lot.
I live on a small farm, I have two goats and a mini Donkey. All the Grand kids ride in rodeo event. My best friend just passed away from Covid and was a bit&spur maker in Texas. Do you live in the US? A213EC56-3FA6-4E7B-865C-C7BDBA6062B6.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your friend, R2K.
Thank you sir, we were very close. Brothers in the Masonic lodge. The only man I ever told “I love you brother”. I miss him every single day. Still brings tears to my eyes. He passed last November. We rode many miles together. This virus will have a huge effect on all of us before it’s done

I live on a small farm, I have two goats and a mini Donkey. All the Grand kids ride in rodeo event. My best friend just passed away from Covid and was a bit&spur maker in Texas. Do you live in the US? View attachment 2621
Hi R2K
I live in the UK it we still have some things in common.
We both love the countryside

We have both lost good friends in these last weeks (My friend of 30 years via a brain tumour)

My cousin lives near Fort Worth (Mingus). He is a Captain with American Airlines.

You and me have a liking for the same sort of bike. My last bike was a Harley which I loved but I hope this brings me the same satisfaction along with a bit of rarity.

My son is a Captain in the British Army but based in Georgia US working for the US military at the Cyber intelligence base.
I have a great affinity for the US and am a military vet myself.

Very sorry for your loss and truly do feel your pain.
Once this COVID is done with and I can visit the States I can perhaps look you up.

Back