Bike not starting

I have similar issues with my First Edition. I sometimes don't get to ride it and I leave it on a CTEK charger. It always has issues jumping to live after 4-6 weeks, needs cranking three or four times and has a really rough start. It is due for the next service soonish but would be keen to hear whether anyone else has experienced this?
It seems to be fine after a good ride so I don't think it is a blocked filter or fuel line.

This morning I had something similar. I have a TC with 1K or so miles. I commute on it everyday in the PNW, this means rain almost everyday right now. I would press the start button, no problems, press the start button, it would run for 1-2 seconds and turn completely off. I tried in gear, neutral, kickstand up and down, and giving it gas. Nothing worked. Battery was reading 12.5+V. I always wipe down the controls after a rain when I park it in the garage for the night. When I got home from work it fired right up and had no problems on a short joy ride.

Who knows. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Cross my fingers it doesn’t happen when stranded somewhere.

I guess I was going on the gas smell but you may be onto something. There's a saying in the Guzzi community, 90% of fuel problems are electrical.
+1 When you’ve got gas soaking your jeans, pull over and remove carb at the manifold and blow out the screens. Carry on. Allen wrench, spare points and condenser in my little tool box.

Keep us posted.

This morning I had something similar. I have a TC with 1K or so miles. I commute on it everyday in the PNW, this means rain almost everyday right now. I would press the start button, no problems, press the start button, it would run for 1-2 seconds and turn completely off. I tried in gear, neutral, kickstand up and down, and giving it gas. Nothing worked. Battery was reading 12.5+V. I always wipe down the controls after a rain when I park it in the garage for the night. When I got home from work it fired right up and had no problems on a short joy ride.

Who knows. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Cross my fingers it doesn’t happen when stranded somewhere.
There is a known problem with water ingress in the contacts of the start button. It happened to my bike and was replaced with a new start button but if it gets wet enough may happen again. I was stuck in the middle of no where for two days when it happened to me. The dealer did a great job to try and help out but BMW has still not addressed the core issue. Get it to a dealer ASAP and get them to disassemble your start switch. It may fail outright eventually.

It happened to me on the forth day of owning the bike after three days of riding in the rain. I ride in all weather and have had over 15 bikes. None have done this.

There is a known problem with water ingress in the contacts of the start button. It happened to my bike and was replaced with a new start button but if it gets wet enough may happen again. I was stuck in the middle of no where for two days when it happened to me. The dealer did a great job to try and help out but BMW has still not addressed the core issue. Get it to a dealer ASAP and get them to disassemble your start switch. It may fail outright eventually.
Well it happened again on my way to the dealership. I finally had time to make the trek. Now I’m sitting, waiting in the rain, on a major hwy for roadside assistance. 😕

Well it happened again on my way to the dealership. I finally had time to make the trek. Now I’m sitting, waiting in the rain, on a major hwy for roadside assistance. 😕
Really sorry to hear that. What a bummer!! I hope they can pinpoint the issue and cure it. My empathy is genuine having spent 7 hours waiting for my second recovery and with less than 50 miles on the bike. Because they were able to show me the issue and cure it I kept the faith. Hope the same goes for you.

I’m at an hour and a half of waiting on a major hwy near one of Washington’s largest cities. The problem is no tow company wants to help. This is the BMW roadside not the MOA roadside.

I've had similar issues with my first edition. But I've yet to ride in the rain. 4 times in one year. Interestingly it only happens when the bike is hot and the only way to get it started is to give it some throttle while pressing the start button. Took it to the dealership each time this happened. They would run their diagnostics, say everything is OK and send me on my way. Happened again last week. I took it in and told them I'm not picking up the bike until the issue has been identified and fixed.

I had the same symptoms which turned out to be a faulty power/start switch that was not properly insulated from the weather. Apparently this issue has occurred on other bikes.
BMW should recall this if it continues. There is no excuse for problems like this. All my Jap bikes have/had been perfect from the start. Triumphs are known for crap like this hence why I've never bought one.

I've had similar issues with my first edition. But I've yet to ride in the rain. 4 times in one year. Interestingly it only happens when the bike is hot and the only way to get it started is to give it some throttle while pressing the start button. Took it to the dealership each time this happened. They would run their diagnostics, say everything is OK and send me on my way. Happened again last week. I took it in and told them I'm not picking up the bike until the issue has been identified and fixed.
Following up on my issue. Finally received my bike back from the dealership after a week. They were able to replicate the issue and trace it to a faulty ignition coil that seemed to fail on occasion when the bike gets hot. Right upper one in my case. It would have been nice if I could monitor the temp in this bike. I really wish they hadn't suppressed the temp display on the FEs. The manual clearly says there should be one. All good now I think. Will see how it goes.

There was a torrential downpour the day I picked up my R18C.Thank goodness I live in Arizona and it was only 1 hour ride to the house.That being said, it was as bad a rain storm as I can remember riding in.The bike performed flawlessly.

Back