BMW OEM Screen Protector Install for R18 Bagger / Transcontinental

adamchandler

Part number - 77 52 5 A29 255 It's around $59 today for this part and your dealer can order it for you. Plenty in stock for fast shipping stateside. I bought mine from here - https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2020/R.../Protective glass TFT display.html#PartsTable

I thought this was going to be straight forward and was not going to make a video BUT unlike the RT, the TFT screen we have is 20% covered by the plastic chrome surround trim so you have to remove or at least pull that back for the install.

I show how to pull that back in this short video. Photo of the box:
juU5WFY.jpeg
ZPVMYcB.jpeg

Finished appearance:

nXPwmha.jpeg
mJsqqQ5.jpeg

Exactly what I did, the funny thing is the dealer wanted to dismantle entire front end at exorbitant cost for labor, when in fact the job can be done in less than two minutes

Thanks for the video. I couldn’t figure out how to install so I did the soapy water method and tried to slide it in there. Ended up cracking the screen protector.. Now I’ll properly put the new one on thanks to your vid.

So I broke my protector too trying the shortcut method of popping off the bezel to slide in the protector. The glass on the protector is very thin. If someone could elaborate how they slid in the protector past the bezel when it’s partially popped off that would help if I decide to try it again. It looks like you can’t slide the protector in from the side of the bezel as the handlebars are in the way. I was trying to slide it in from the front of the bezel but that bends the glass and then it breaks. Ugghh.

Initially I followed the instructions and took the windshield off but if you look at the attached picture I got to the point of removing what’s called the “instrument support” and got stuck. It looks like I have an antenna mounted in the center for satellite radio. The instrument support, which I think is the light gray area around the dials, wasn’t moving and I didn’t want to mess with it. If someone took apart the windshield and removed the instrument support please post a picture.

Thanks,

Tom

IMG_1012.jpeg

Looks like you've removed all 5 screws so you're good to go. You can see the two tabs on either side of the antennae poking through and thats all thats left holding it in. You just have to pull harder than you think.

Back