BMW Stop Sale

TravisD

Site Supporter
BMW Motorrad has issued a stop sale on all petrol powered bikes. I got an email from my dealer about it. Some speculation online seems to think its emissions related which means a big recall could be coming soon.

Oh my! ... well, that will make Uschi even more unique ... I am good with that as long as they keep some spare parts on hand for me :) ... electric bikes still need brake pads and tires ... so I don't have to worry about consumables :LOL:

I just spoke with the dealership in San Diego where my R18TC is being delivered from to me in TX.
Yes there is a stop sale nationwide on everything.
Yes it is emissions related.
No other info at this time.
My TC however escaped the stop sale because I purchased it a week ago and all the paperwork is done and it will soon be getting shipped to me.
I guess they can't stop a sale that is already completed.
That was a lucky break.

I just spoke with the dealership in San Diego where my R18TC is being delivered from to me in TX.
Yes there is a stop sale nationwide on everything.
Yes it is emissions related.
No other info at this time.
My TC however escaped the stop sale because I purchased it a week ago and all the paperwork is done and it will soon be getting shipped to me.
I guess they can't stop a sale that is already completed.
That was a lucky break.
Indeed that was.
Although there are no much news about this decision yet, chances are this is a momentary decision until something is investigated rather than halt future production and sales for ever.
Remember the CO2 emissions scandal at VW also affecting Audi, Skoda and SEAT?

Indeed that was.
Although there are no much news about this decision yet, chances are this is a momentary decision until something is investigated rather than halt future production and sales for ever.
Remember the CO2 emissions scandal at VW also affecting Audi, Skoda and SEAT?
Audi, Skoda, Seat and many more are owned by VW ;) that easily explains why the were affected as well 😁

Part of their media release.....

" Following a recent quality analysis, BMW is pursuing measures to further evaluate the material used in a component of its motorcycle evaporative system, which may not have been produced to material specifications.

This temporary stop sale is not safety related and BMW owners may continue to ride their motorcycles as normal."

" Following a recent quality analysis, BMW is pursuing measures to further evaluate the material used in a component of its motorcycle evaporative system, which may not have been produced to material specifications.

This temporary stop sale is not safety related and BMW owners may continue to ride their motorcycles as normal."
How about a link? That'd be much appreciated.

(Based England). I’ve had nothing from BMW I’ve just checked my junk Mail too.

Look over there 👉
Where?
Over there 👉
Why?
Think I saw something….
What?
Not sure….
🤦🏻

BMW Motorrad has issued a stop sale on all petrol powered bikes. I got an email from my dealer about it. Some speculation online seems to think its emissions related which means a big recall could be coming soon.
I ride a 2022 R18b. At random times, the engine would sputter while idling or coming to a stop. I have only used recommend premium gasoline. The last time that I rode the bike, the engine sputtered and shut down while I was making a slow turn. This caused my bike tip over in the middle of the road. Fortunately, there was very little traffic and I was able to lift the bike and “duck walk”it into my garage. The tip over didn’t cause any visible damage. My R18b is at the dealership to have them diagnose the problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

https://www.rideapart.com/news/687857/bmw-motorrad-usa-stop-sale/
https://www.autoblog.com/2023/09/21/bmw-motorcycle-stop-sale-emissions/

There's not much info out in the press on this matter, except that it deals with the EVAP system, (the vapor canister that traps the fuel vapor and returns it to the fuel tank).

The fact that this "voluntary" recall is impacting both new AND preowned sales is interesting...is BMW NA going to issue a recall on ALL motorcycles with the EVAP system, regardless of warranty status?

I guess we'll wait and find out.

Mike

https://www.rideapart.com/news/687857/bmw-motorrad-usa-stop-sale/
https://www.autoblog.com/2023/09/21/bmw-motorcycle-stop-sale-emissions/

There's not much info out in the press on this matter, except that it deals with the EVAP system, (the vapor canister that traps the fuel vapor and returns it to the fuel tank).

The fact that this "voluntary" recall is impacting both new AND preowned sales is interesting...is BMW NA going to issue a recall on ALL motorcycles with the EVAP system, regardless of warranty status?

I guess we'll wait and find out.

Mike
Mines going like a Swiss watch I won't be bothering with recall

Deleted my black evaporative canister 7 months ago. No issues. I’ll send an email to BMW NA. Nothing to worry about ; ok to lift ban !

Back