Buffeting Beatdown

I took my new r18b out for it's maiden ride last Sunday (never test rode it because I bought it in February).
I love everything about my new ride except for one thing I'm hoping this forum can help me with.
I live in South Dakota where the interstate speed limit is 80mph.
So I took the bike to 80mph.
I haven't had wind buffeting since my 97 Triumph Trophy(see photo because it is a beautiful bike)!

I've ridden Harley baggers for 10 years and never had buffeting, so I forgot that it was even a thing.

I don't want to look through a windshield. I'm only 5'7".
Is there a shorter windshield and would that help?
Or is there a solution, or do I just deal with it?

I did add winglets before riding it, but the buffeting is definitely coming from over the top of the screen and only at higher speed.

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited:
There's a lower wind deflector that seems to provide clean air as reported from other forum members; I'm 5' 9" and don't experience buffeting, using the stock R18 B windshield, winglets and lower Leg Wind Protection pieces. Wind seems to hit the top of my helmet, perhaps it's the way I'm sitting on my bike (basically stock - minus the TC wind protection assets mentioned above)

If you are getting buffeting to the chest then lower winglets would help, but over the helmet buffeting would need a taller screen.. I have a base model with Memphis shades wind deflectors and matching windscreen that works quite well with me at 6'2".

Each bike/rider is different but I test drove a base model or whatever its called -no windshield- and was surprised by the lack of wind blast.
Hmmmm.
I don't think you'll get any wind buffeting from a naked bike, just the fairing/windshield bikes.
I have a HD Street Bob and can only ride it 300 miles a day or so because of the wind fatigue(I don't wear a helmet).
But my HD Baggers, Street Glide and Road Glide I could ride 10-14 hours a day, day after day and never was wind a problem.

Daniel, welcome and I agree most with writer Folo above. I am 5'8" with stock windscreen on an R18 Classic. At the speeds you are speaking of, indeed buffet will be present. I wear a modular helmet. Up here in Alberta we have lots of bugs in the summer. The larger ones always hit me in the middle of the visor or higher. This tells me my wind screen protects the lower part of my head. I can not afford it yet, and will start with Memphis Shades fork deflectors, then next year I will upsize my windscreen.

Daniel, welcome and I agree most with writer Folo above. I am 5'8" with stock windscreen on an R18 Classic. At the speeds you are speaking of, indeed buffet will be present. I wear a modular helmet. Up here in Alberta we have lots of bugs in the summer. The larger ones always hit me in the middle of the visor or higher. This tells me my wind screen protects the lower part of my head. I can not afford it yet, and will start with Memphis Shades fork deflectors, then next year I will upsize my windscreen.
If you go for the fork deflectors double check the measurements! The forks on mine do not have the covers and are at 49mm, for reference. And be advised that the memphis shades handlebar mounted screens are easier to secure and adjust. The Malibu one has a second set of fork legs and overall is more difficult to set up since there are 4 points of contact.

I took my new r18b out for it's maiden ride last Sunday (never test rode it because I bought it in February).
I love everything about my new ride except for one thing I'm hoping this forum can help me with.
I live in South Dakota where the interstate speed limit is 80mph.
So I took the bike to 80mph.
I haven't had wind buffeting since my 97 Triumph Trophy(see photo because it is a beautiful bike)!

I've ridden Harley baggers for 10 years and never had buffeting, so I forgot that it was even a thing.

I don't want to look through a windshield. I'm only 5'7".
Is there a shorter windshield and would that help?
Or is there a solution, or do I just deal with it?

I did add winglets before riding it, but the buffeting is definitely coming from over the top of the screen and only at higher speed.

Thanks,
Daniel
I am also 5'7", I add the windshield deflector but trim it down halfway and aim it up. No more buffeting.

Edit - I attached the image, but it's not displaying. Here's the link of the image https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D4H8ZLKSIhAEA4hTsjYJFsoH4CnZKmxA/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I did test ride and knew it was something to be fixed. I have a cheap screen extender https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314274257188?hash=item492c349924:g:rs8AAOSwOIFjwg3Q not so much to extend the screen as to provide a lip to impact the airflow. I have not tried all positions yet, I get some improvement but not completely to my liking. These clipons have only two position variables - the arms produce an arc which moves the extender up and down but also closer or further away from the screen but not independently. At any arm position you can then tilt the extender as much or as little depending on how far away it is from the screen.

It is worth a try and not much to loose, it does not damage the screen like some do, if you dont mind the look of it.

I too wonder about a shorter screen, I dont mind feeling the wind and rain protection is not a priority, just not the turbulant airflow at my head. The other bike I tested which came a close second to the R18C in my case was the H-D Sport Glide which has a short sport screen and no buffeting. It may be the way to go - the screen heght not the bike!.

I too would be interested in the experiences of others.

I'm fighting wind buffeting also.
I went with a 7jurock windscreen. I went with the tallest option and its still 2 inches below my eye line, the wind deflection helps but I need something taller. the curved top makes a world of a difference though.
I'm in talks with 7jurock now to see what they can do.

Then I started experiencing air from the bottom of the fairing... so I went and bought the BMW Winglets. Helped but not the solution I was looking for.
Now I'm torn between buying clearwater lights or buying the OEM lower leg wind protection.

It's a deep rabbit hole. good luck

I did test ride and knew it was something to be fixed. I have a cheap screen extender https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314274257188?hash=item492c349924:g:rs8AAOSwOIFjwg3Q not so much to extend the screen as to provide a lip to impact the airflow. I have not tried all positions yet, I get some improvement but not completely to my liking. These clipons have only two position variables - the arms produce an arc which moves the extender up and down but also closer or further away from the screen but not independently. At any arm position you can then tilt the extender as much or as little depending on how far away it is from the screen.

It is worth a try and not much to loose, it does not damage the screen like some do, if you dont mind the look of it.

I too wonder about a shorter screen, I dont mind feeling the wind and rain protection is not a priority, just not the turbulant airflow at my head. The other bike I tested which came a close second to the R18C in my case was the H-D Sport Glide which has a short sport screen and no buffeting. It may be the way to go - the screen heght not the bike!.

I too would be interested in the experiences of others.
Thank you, I will order one of these clip ons.

I've been corresponding with KlockWerks about their Flare windshield. I had one on my Street Glide and on my Road Glide and KlockWerks is about an hour drive from my home. So I'm hoping to take my bike over there for a fitting, but am waiting for them to get back to me.

This is their website:
https://getklocked.com/collections/flare-windshields?page=1

I've owned many of their products over the years and they are an excellent company!

If you go for the fork deflectors double check the measurements! The forks on mine do not have the covers and are at 49mm, for reference. And be advised that the memphis shades handlebar mounted screens are easier to secure and adjust. The Malibu one has a second set of fork legs and overall is more difficult to set up since there are 4 points of contact.
Folo, thank you I will bear this in mind.

For anyone looking for part numbers for the OEM windshield options.

TC and B share mounting points, so all windshields fit both models.

"Masked" is a tinted section on the lower portion of the windsheild. A visual representation of that is shown in the 2'd windshield in the graphic below.
Note: The stock Bagger windshield is called "Windshield low" and is 46 63 9899428, not listed in the below screenshot. Screenshot only shows the part numbers for optional windshields for the Bagger and as such excludes the stock windshield.

1680982291288.png

Windshield height, rider height, type of helmet, length of legs, position on the bike…
I agree there are an awful lot of variables specific to the rider, not just screen height - I would add; length of arms, helmet visor up or down, peak, pillion present or not. Almost pure luck if someone elses experience of a screen applies to you.

Klockwerks has no intention at this time to make a screen for us.
I did stop by BMW dealership yesterday to pick up my license plate and test drove a transcontinental.
And promptly paid for the higher windshield.

I'm disappointed that I will now be looking through the windshield, first time I've ever had to do that.
But it does solve the beatdown.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I’m 5’7” and get terrible, tooth-chattering vibration with the stock R18B screen at anything over 60 mph. I’m a spirited rider and spend most of my time well over 60.

I purchased a 18” 7jurock but it didn’t eliminate the vibes and my line of sight is right at the distorted curve in the screen. Can’t do that.

Tonight I pulled the screen completely off and rode it without - works really well for me. As soon as I got home I ordered a masked wind deflector - hope it doesn’t reintroduce the vibes.

I’m 5’7” and get terrible, tooth-chattering vibration with the stock R18B screen at anything over 60 mph. I’m a spirited rider and spend most of my time well over 60.

I purchased a 18” 7jurock but it didn’t eliminate the vibes and my line of sight is right at the distorted curve in the screen. Can’t do that.

Tonight I pulled the screen completely off and rode it without - works really well for me. As soon as I got home I ordered a masked wind deflector - hope it doesn’t reintroduce the vibes.
Let us know how you make out with the Wind Detector model; I thought of getting that as well, more for the look and perhaps the feel of "clean air".

It looks like it comes in a tiny and a "masked", which I guess is clear with a black color trim?

Back