Carbon Filter Delete

THIS is a big reason why I love being on a forum like this one. I learn lots of great stuff from you guys!
I've had a bunch of motorcycles before, but the R18 is my first modern BMW and I did not know until now that BMW was installing valves in the exhaust systems. They are apparently much like the EXUP valves first devised by Yamaha. And I'll bet that there are few, if any, benefits to messing with them.
Similar to the EXUP but only in operation, I suspect. The benefit of removing the flap or somehow keeping it fully open is un-muffling the exhaust. Just a little louder and possibly a deeper tone at idle and low throttle openings. Who knows, maybe just enough to justify no longer looking for an aftermarket replacement - either slip-ons or full exhaust. On the subject of full exhaust, I am puzzled that BMW did not add a cross-over between the two sides (of the stock exhaust) - always advantageous in terms of scavenging and even back-pressure. They could have done that below the engine - there is space.

Last edited:
Back when the Yamaha cable-controlled EXUP valve was a new, big deal on their 1000cc superbike, we found that it was poorly controlled and often NEVER fully opened, not even at wide open throttle. I used to machine a better pulley that did the trick. It MIGHT have resulted in another mile-per-hour at the top end. Maybe not.
Later, when I bought a Yamaha 1900cc Roadliner I did some experimentation with the EXUP and it quickly became apparent that the best performing setup was exactly the way it came off of the sales floor.

But calling it a "flap" just sounds dumb.

Back when the Yamaha cable-controlled EXUP valve was a new, big deal on their 1000cc superbike, we found that it was poorly controlled and often NEVER fully opened, not even at wide open throttle. I used to machine a better pulley that did the trick. It MIGHT have resulted in another mile-per-hour at the top end. Maybe not.
Later, when I bought a Yamaha 1900cc Roadliner I did some experimentation with the EXUP and it quickly became apparent that the best performing setup was exactly the way it came off of the sales floor.

But calling it a "flap" just sounds dumb.
K34 Servo Unit.png

'Butterfly' seemingly sounds dumb in Germany.

I have done carbon filter deletes on a couple of BMWs. My rockster got a delete. I think I will eventually delete both the ugly plastic fender thingie and the can. I am very much into the aesthetic of this particular bike The thing is, the can on the R18 is positioned in a place where it looks like the old suspension part of the R6! so, if you dont tap on it and keep it clean it looks like it belongs there. The plastic fender gidgie looks like the one on the R75!

Although it doesnt look like the prototype, other than adding the tractor seat and getting rid of the turn signals and license plates from the fender, I don't believe I will change the bike

I have done carbon filter deletes on a couple of BMWs. My rockster got a delete. I think I will eventually delete both the ugly plastic fender thingie and the can. I am very much into the aesthetic of this particular bike The thing is, the can on the R18 is positioned in a place where it looks like the old suspension part of the R6! so, if you dont tap on it and keep it clean it looks like it belongs there. The plastic fender gidgie looks like the one on the R75!

Although it doesnt look like the prototype, other than adding the tractor seat and getting rid of the turn signals and license plates from the fender, I don't believe I will change the bike
Speaking of prototype: Looking at all the electronics behind the left side cover around the shock, I am beginning to think that the prototype with the 'see through' design was a long way from the bike we have now. (Assuming it even ran).

Even if I could reroute all of it, there is nowhere for it to go that I can see.

I totally agree with the bolded and underlined statement. It doesn't distract or look out of place. In fact, Barring a complete tear-down/simplification à la prototype, canister removal will not enhance anything.

Speaking of prototype: Looking at all the electronics behind the left side cover around the shock, I am beginning to think that the prototype with the 'see through' design was a long way from the bike we have now. (Assuming it even ran).

Even if I could reroute all of it, there is nowhere for it to go that I can see.
OK, so its a how question? sorry. All you have to do is find the intake end. plug it and hide the hose. Pull everything else out of the bike. done. Its very easy. everything south of the intake is just pulled off the bike. no routing, just mining the exhaust hose out. then burning your warranty, unfortunately. BMW (and this is my fourth new one) does not warranty their drive trains if they have been sniggled with. Even though all this does is prevent unburned fuel from entering the atmosphere and your olfactory bulbs. I would not so much as breathe on any part of the bike until its out of warranty, drive train wise. Unless it is a completely BMW solution, like a new muffler/exhaust.

I do what I want to my bikes... just be warned they are sticklers. You can do your own maintenance if you can prove its done right but alterations aren't a happy moment.

But it is a super easy job to remove it.

Still waiting to see some photos of your carbon filter turned glock magazine holder, doc.
Thanks Todka,
Removal of the canister was terminal for the unit, but attached are pic’s of how it’s removal looks on my R9T. I’d show you my magazine safe but the snowflakes would object and might turn me over to the tree-hugger nannies.

Attachments

• D0AE9357-E13D-4C6B-BDF1-7437EC701735.jpeg
    D0AE9357-E13D-4C6B-BDF1-7437EC701735.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • F1E01E96-4754-46E6-AACA-010A2A5A9A29.jpeg
    F1E01E96-4754-46E6-AACA-010A2A5A9A29.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
Thanks Todka,
Removal of the canister was terminal for the unit, but attached are pic’s of how it’s removal looks on my R9T. I’d show you my magazine safe but the snowflakes would object and might turn me over to the tree-hugger nannies.

yes, best keep those images to yourself, along with the voices.

Back