Cost of first service

Cleveland, Ohio. $230 including tax at 645 miles. Engine oil, oil filter, air filter, and final drive fluids. They connected to the computer, updated the software and reset the service clock.
If it was BMW of Cleveland get ready... they will mug you like a thief in the night for 6k service. Trust me.... get an appointment at Sills now for 6k

Rather than create a new thread, I decided to make some notes here on the 6 and 12,000 mile services.

Air Cleaner; I love the sleek engine cases but the cases and the air cleaner are both difficult to remove. It is a one hour plus job and you are going to need some special long torx and hex tools. The brass fittings came out with the screws for the air cleaner housing and there is very little clearance under the tank to get to them in the first place. It did take me 2 hours to get it all worked out. I also spent $30 on some new tools. It goes back together way easier than it comes apart :)

Oil change: this was straight forward and one of the easiest changes ever. you need a low oil pan but big deal... it was $6.

I am an apple user and had to buy an android tablet and the software. You can get an android tablet for 50 bucks. The software was about $30. So far, I like it way more than the GS-911 (and I am a long time user of the 911). Service reminder and full diagnostics. With a reader you'll be out about $175 but that is going to pay off down the road.

My local dealer is not fair dealing. I do have my valve checks and tires done at a nearby old G&S dealer by appointment. The dealer always charges full retail for tires but installs them at no additional charge. The charged me 90 minutes for the valve check $140. I am pushing 60 and did not want to buy lifts a lift specific for the R 18. I have a wheel chock to stand it up for fluid changes.

Spark Plugs are easy peasy, get a spark plug puller and the CORRECT oil filter wrench from Bob's BMW. He has a kit with the correct tool for wheel removal for $50. You need to have the wheel puller in your bag (its tiny) in case you need another dealer to change a tire in an emergency. I use K&N filters that have a 9/16 bolt on the bottom for easy removal
The Transmission is another PITA. the drain and fill are both hard to get to. Don't make a mess; you have to fill slow and it takes 1.1 liters. It is an over 1 hour job because of the fill pace. You need a hair dye bottle or syringe to fill it. BMW's engineers intentionally put the fill plug beside half the wiring harness and under the outlet cover to make the bike sleek.

Final drive: be precise refilling! dont muck it up.

The brake service is best left to a dealer.... but it comes kinda speed bleedy. I use a mighty vac to do the brakes.

In short, its fun to get to know your bike but none of this work is easy other than the fluid changes. Just doing the fluids will save you hundreds of dollars a year and I do mean hundreds. I have always used a shared service model for caring for my BMW motorcycles; supporting both the old G&S dealer network and keeping the cost of ownership sane.
What fluid is needed for the drain n fill trans service?

What fluid is needed for the drain n fill trans service?
Well, it is in the manual... I think its a 70/80 GL3. I used Porsche 70/80 GL3, it was super cheap (actually free). im sure you could use the common 75/90 full synth but until my warranty is over I always use the exact same spec fluids. Chrysler sells the EXACT spec fluid at half the price. BMW wants an arm and a leg for a PINT of the stuff. they can go skip rope

Rather than create a new thread, I decided to make some notes here on the 6 and 12,000 mile services.

Air Cleaner; I love the sleek engine cases but the cases and the air cleaner are both difficult to remove. It is a one hour plus job and you are going to need some special long torx and hex tools. The brass fittings came out with the screws for the air cleaner housing and there is very little clearance under the tank to get to them in the first place. It did take me 2 hours to get it all worked out. I also spent $30 on some new tools. It goes back together way easier than it comes apart :)

Oil change: this was straight forward and one of the easiest changes ever. you need a low oil pan but big deal... it was $6.

I am an apple user and had to buy an android tablet and the software. You can get an android tablet for 50 bucks. The software was about $30. So far, I like it way more than the GS-911 (and I am a long time user of the 911). Service reminder and full diagnostics. With a reader you'll be out about $175 but that is going to pay off down the road.

My local dealer is not fair dealing. I do have my valve checks and tires done at a nearby old G&S dealer by appointment. The dealer always charges full retail for tires but installs them at no additional charge. The charged me 90 minutes for the valve check $140. I am pushing 60 and did not want to buy lifts a lift specific for the R 18. I have a wheel chock to stand it up for fluid changes.

Spark Plugs are easy peasy, get a spark plug puller and the CORRECT oil filter wrench from Bob's BMW. He has a kit with the correct tool for wheel removal for $50. You need to have the wheel puller in your bag (its tiny) in case you need another dealer to change a tire in an emergency. I use K&N filters that have a 9/16 bolt on the bottom for easy removal
The Transmission is another PITA. the drain and fill are both hard to get to. Don't make a mess; you have to fill slow and it takes 1.1 liters. It is an over 1 hour job because of the fill pace. You need a hair dye bottle or syringe to fill it. BMW's engineers intentionally put the fill plug beside half the wiring harness and under the outlet cover to make the bike sleek.

Final drive: be precise refilling! dont muck it up.

The brake service is best left to a dealer.... but it comes kinda speed bleedy. I use a mighty vac to do the brakes.

In short, its fun to get to know your bike but none of this work is easy other than the fluid changes. Just doing the fluids will save you hundreds of dollars a year and I do mean hundreds. I have always used a shared service model for caring for my BMW motorcycles; supporting both the old G&S dealer network and keeping the cost of ownership sane.
Would you have a link to that wheel removal tool?

Would you have a link to that wheel removal tool?
sorry dave, bought mine for the GS like a 100 years ago. google BMW Bob. or bob's BMW. one f those flagship dealers everybody loves. let me run out and make sure it fits again. Yup, I bought it for my 08 GS and just like the oil filter wrench it fits perfect

Well, it is in the manual... I think its a 70/80 GL3. I used Porsche 70/80 GL3, it was super cheap (actually free). im sure you could use the common 75/90 full synth but until my warranty is over I always use the exact same spec fluids. Chrysler sells the EXACT spec fluid at half the price. BMW wants an arm and a leg for a PINT of the stuff. they can go skip rope
Yes it is in the manual as G3 NOT GL 3. There's a big difference between the two.

which is why any of the good 75-80 weight gear lubes should do the trick. All I really know is a dealer wants $140 dollars for enough gear oil to do a transmission and a final drive :-0. I took a pass.
Yep I would tend to agree with the logic...but only after my warranty is up. Until then I'm going "by the book" on fluid specifications. After the screwing we got on shop manuals and accessories availability I'm taking no chances with the mother ship. (But I'm still not going to pay them a dime for service!!)

Yep I would tend to agree with the logic...but only after my warranty is up. Until then I'm going "by the book" on fluid specifications. After the screwing we got on shop manuals and accessories availability I'm taking no chances with the mother ship. (But I'm still not going to pay them a dime for service!!)
Just keep in mind amazon can get you the exact oil from Germany in different jugs at $44 for 4 liters and there is no way on gods green earth I would pay over $100 for their gear oil. I cant verify it but I have no doubt same spec gear oil is a fraction of the price and superior (full synth). You can get the same spec gear oil for waaaaay less.

Just keep in mind amazon can get you the exact oil from Germany in different jugs at $44 for 4 liters and there is no way on gods green earth I would pay over $100 for their gear oil. I cant verify it but I have no doubt same spec gear oil is a fraction of the price and superior (full synth). You can get the same spec gear oil for waaaaay less.
" I cant verify it..." We are in total agreement!

I'm coming up on my first break in service for my TC. We have a brand new BMW dealership in Wilmington, NC called BMW Motorcycles of Cape Fear. They told me on the phone the break in service would be $250, including any software / firmware updates on the bike. That sounds eminently reasonable to me.

I'm coming up on my first break in service for my TC. We have a brand new BMW dealership in Wilmington, NC called BMW Motorcycles of Cape Fear. They told me on the phone the break in service would be $250, including any software / firmware updates on the bike. That sounds eminently reasonable to me.
That's not bad at all, I paid $300 in Greer, SC. Charlotte quoted me $600.

Very reasonable…

That is in line with what it should be. Those dealers charging over $300 are just gouging.

Why would there be such a huge range for the same service? Shouldn't these be "by the book"? i.e. each service calls for certain pre-defined labor hours, I can't imagine the labor/hour varies that much.

I want to support my local dealer as much as possible but it's always good to know what is the expected going rate.

Why would there be such a huge range for the same service? Shouldn't these be "by the book"? i.e. each service calls for certain pre-defined labor hours, I can't imagine the labor/hour varies that much.

I want to support my local dealer as much as possible but it's always good to know what is the expected going rate.
I had a quote emailed to me for the first service. It them 3 months to get me in and then they tried to charge me $100 more. When I pulled out the written quote they were like Elmer Fudd.

Back